• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 M1000 belt wear

A

akhunter75

Aug 23, 2002
How long do your belts last? I have 6 rides on this sled and it looks like an average of 3-4 rides per belt before they are worn to the point were there is noticeable hard launches from the extra belt deflection. My friend has a 04 M7 , and it does the same thing around 4 rides max, and it time to change it before it blows up. What can I do to make a notice able differance. I see a lot of "kits" out there for more air flow to the clutches. EXACTLY how much does this help, or is it more BS?? This is my 3d big cat, so I've been through all the engine braces, clutch alignment tools, computer fan, etc....etc....:mad:

B

bigcat_ak

Nov 27, 2007
North Pole Alaska
My bud runs a Cat dealership and he says that there was a problem with some of the weights in the primary hanging on the inside of the sleeve.

A

akhunter75

Aug 23, 2002
belt deflection

I know how to ajust for belt deflection. The point is that the belts are not only worn, but are also showing signs of cracking....We all know what happens next. Unlike a lot of people I change my belts BEFORE they blow up.

Sleds R Fun

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2007
BC
I have lost cords along with friends. Everything checked out fine on the sled. Starting to think that Cat has a batch of bad belts. I'm running the 47.

S
Dec 27, 2007
Redmond, WA
How many miles? I have 100 miles on my M1000 with plenty of full throttle runs, but I don't usually nail it from a stop because the track doesn't grab anyways. Our 2005 M7 is still on its original belt too.

A

akhunter75

Aug 23, 2002
ACT clutch is junk

It turns out the ACT secondary is junk, just like we knew since 05. Where can I get a good secondary for this thing!!! More than 4 rides per belt would save me a fortune!!!

Skinner

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
How many miles? I have 100 miles on my M1000 with plenty of full throttle runs, but I don't usually nail it from a stop because the track doesn't grab anyways. Our 2005 M7 is still on its original belt too.

I have 200 miles on my 08 M1000 and the belt looks new. Also on our 05 M7 i ran the same belt for 4 years. 2000 miles and still was fine. Just get your clutch & alignment right.

A

akhunter75

Aug 23, 2002
Wot

Maybe I should mention that I love to high mark in deep snow. I think I am putting WAY more stress and heat through my clutches than most average riders.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
Over in the CAt section, Racin' Station says a properly aligned clutch will get you 300 miles.....

"Over the past month I have had about 12 M1000s come through from locations all over the west with "belt eating" issues. I have seen belts breaking or wearing too fast.

I have been surprised to find that the majority of these sleds have bad clutch offset. One in particular was about 1/4" too far to the right and twisted slightly in the chassis. Sled had 30 miles and broke 2 belts. Have your dealer or someone who is qualified check the clutch alignment and offset of you are having belt issues.

We are seeing around 300 miles on a belt in real mountain riding situations when the clutches are set up properly."

Last edited:
Premium Features