• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

OH NO THAT'S NO GOOD clutch puller broke

T
Dec 26, 2007
Minnesota
I need fast help broke of the clutch puller in the clutch. It has a ton of load on it right now and I'm taken a center punch to hit with a heavy hammer trying to bust it loose. Any body ever had this happen. 4 day's till I leave for Cooke. Not a good start and All I was going to do was a little cleaning and make sure everything moved good... So much for preventive maintance. Please Help someone.. Thank You

H

Hairy Mark

Nov 21, 2007
kettle falls
the only thing i would try from here is heat the clutch down at the inside of the sheeve. the heat might make it expand enough to come off.

P
Nov 26, 2007
wilds of Montana
I need fast help broke of the clutch puller in the clutch. It has a ton of load on it right now and I'm taken a center punch to hit with a heavy hammer trying to bust it loose. Any body ever had this happen. 4 day's till I leave for Cooke. Not a good start and All I was going to do was a little cleaning and make sure everything moved good... So much for preventive maintance. Please Help someone.. Thank You
Heavy hammer is bad form,very easy to move pto end of crank! Heat would also be my suggestion,you may buy a clutch though. best of luck

Dec 3, 2007
Ouch!

Let me guess.... Impact wrench? :)

use a big hammer as last resort, actually any hammer as last resort! I have always found a small claw hammer to work best for knocking a clutch loose though...

Other than that, like said above try a little heat and tapping on it.

But it could come down to beating it off and buying another one :(

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
If your going to use a hammer use a small one it will make a higher frequency vibration and will more likly help more than a large hammer . try it at the outer rim of the sheave and maybe you will get lucky and as said heat is your other option and maybe both but when you heat it do it as fast as posible so that the cluch expands and the crank does not or it will noy work.

Good luck

Sturgis Sledder

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2003
Sturgis, SD
Been there, done this, I was able to heat the clutch and give it a few love taps with a rubber mallet and it popped off. The nice part is when all of the tension is removed the broken clutch puller screws right out.

T
Dec 26, 2007
Minnesota
Thank's to all that responded. I did'nt take a heavy hammer to it would have liked to but here's how it went down.. Broke the puller off. laughed for a minuete. Went to the hard ware store bought a Drill bit and a Easy out for $55 drilled out the puller looked good. inserted the easy out Hmmm Busted that inside the puller.. Now thing's are going Great. Love It. Put on the belt took it out side and went for a hot lap in the yard fell right off. Pulled out the puller and did my maintance. No harm to the clutch but I got a little worried about my trip to Cooke In three days. thank to all that replied..

P
Nov 26, 2007
wilds of Montana
Thank's to all that responded. I did'nt take a heavy hammer to it would have liked to but here's how it went down.. Broke the puller off. laughed for a minuete. Went to the hard ware store bought a Drill bit and a Easy out for $55 drilled out the puller looked good. inserted the easy out Hmmm Busted that inside the puller.. Now thing's are going Great. Love It. Put on the belt took it out side and went for a hot lap in the yard fell right off. Pulled out the puller and did my maintance. No harm to the clutch but I got a little worried about my trip to Cooke In three days. thank to all that replied..
Man you are just living right! Did you run out and buy a lotto ticket? Have fun in Cooke.

Premium Features