• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Jefferson Area Riding

C
Dec 28, 2007
New to the area...we bought a log home on Indian Mountain. Looking for info on sledding areas around Jefferson, Fairplay, Hoosier...
Have been riding Rabbit Ears and Buffalo Passs for years, but now need somewhere close to home.

W
Dec 7, 2007
Georgia pass is right near Jefferson. Not groom on the Jefferson side, but hooks up with the Breckenridge side. Be careful on the Jefferson side, heavy avalanch area.

Cottonwood is only about 1 1/2 hours away, and is one of our favorite day trips. We would love to go with you sometime.

L
Dec 2, 2007
Elizabeth, CO
Jefferson

In 18 years of riding the Georgia Pass area from the Jefferson side, I've only seen one avalanche area, and it's the side of mount Guyot at the top. If there are others, I would appreciate a description of where they are so I can avoid those areas.
It's a great area to ride, plenty of bowls and hill climbing, and some groomed trails if you're taking people that prefer that. It suffers from lack of snow some years in the areas that can be wind blown, but this year it is shaping up to be decent if the snow continues. The appeal of this area for front range sledders is that you take highway 285, and have no skier traffic. It is 75 miles from the far side of Aurora for me, so an hour and a half or less.

Catgirl,

You moved to a nice area. I have property in Indian Mtn. that I have been sitting on for a few years now. I am going to build a log home at some point. I actually do most of my riding in the Georgia Pass area. I like it because it's not super busy, the snow is generally good and lots of areas to play in.
Just cam back from a ride today and it was amazing.
Mainly rode the North Fork trail, up & over the mtn. to the backside of Keystone and did some boondocking.
Hit me up with a PM if you ever want to ride. Happy New Year! :wine: :beer;

skibob1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 18, 2007
central az
just bought a house in fairplay

should be there in a week or two.
pm me I can ride any day, would like to find areas that we can ski or snowboard from.
Bob

L
Dec 2, 2007
Elizabeth, CO
Highway 285 westbound from Denver, over Kenosha pass, road curves right and goes down a long steep hill, turns left at the bottom (still on 285) and the town of Jefferson is another 2 miles away. Directly across the street from the convenience store is a road. Take that westbound. You'll see the highway department's sand pile on the right. Go past the turn off for Jefferson lake, and the road will come to a y approx 3 miles from highway 285. Curve right, and you'll see a bunch of yellow buildings off in the distance on the right. That's the Heckendorf ranch. Continue past Michigan creek campground and the odd looking animals on the left about a mile to an obvious snowmobile parking area.

I won't go into detail about the north fork bowl area into Keystone, or any of the secrets. There is already a parking shortage on the weekends.

Good Man, good man! I was up on Friday and rode over to Keystone. The back bowls were amazing. Only one other set of trax, fresh pow all day and only 3 of us. A few slabs had broken off to the left of the ridge (that you climb up & over), a nasty looking drifts up high that will more than likely break off soon so beware... I would say the Avy. danger is HIGH right now, especially with all of the wind we have had.
I was going to ride today but the dam wind & visability is terrible. I can wait until it calms down.

M
Nov 27, 2007
Englewood, CO
I have a little story of sledding up by Keystone, where you guys are talking. I won't give up any secrets either!! I was playing up there one day by myself and a ground blizzard moved in. There absolutely no visibility so I stayed put about half an hour hoped to wait it out. Well, I lost my patience and thought I knew which way to go. I dropped over a pretty steep cliff and couldn't get back up because it was totally sugary snow and really steep. So after about an hour of trying to get up, the blizzard stopped and I saw that I was in the ski area! My only way out was to go down to one of their runs and then back up their groomed trail to the very top where I could get back to where I was out. Should have seen the looks I got as I was snowmobiling on their trail. Wow.
Marty

I could see how that would happen. That area is so open, when the wind picks up it gets bad. I would easily ride through the ski resort to get out! Its a great area but ya really have to watch the weather. It's easy to get turned around and loose your sence of direction. The other day when I was riding back their, my trax coming in were covered up from the wind & snow blowing in a real short time.
I bet you are not the first to ride through Keystone!

Premium Features