• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mountain Cat running board porting without flaring?

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Are the running boards on the mountain cat chassis strong enough to port holes ~1"-1 3/4" in the running boards without having to use a specialty flaring tool? Thinking if I limit the holes and/or rivet on an aluminum plate underneith before I drill it, it might help with the strength if I really need it. Anyone ever bend the boards on the Mountain Cat chassis?

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Hey CO....I do running board porting. I;ve attached a couple photos. Contact me if your interested. I am in Longmont.

qreiff@aol.com
303-263-8016 or send me a PM

Thank you.

Running board port.jpg Brian's sled.jpg

S

Ski-Laxn

Nov 26, 2007
Longmont, Co
Greiffs running board porting works excellent it works better then my snow eliminators on my other sled.
Ski-laxn

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Check out my thread M8 bent tunnel.
I have a few pics of my running board that I used a 1 3/4, and a 1 1/4 punch to get rid of the snow buildup.
No flaring and it works great. I just didn't want to spend the $125 this time for sno elim boards.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Yeah Greiff, I saw your post on craigslist. Damn that looks like some nice porting. Are all those flared? So those modified oem boards in the pic are as strong as stock? I think I might be hitting you up and dropping off my sled soon since the seat is currently off for modifications to raise it.

dmkhnr, I was checking out the boards on an 07 M8 this year and I felt like they were stronger than mine in the middle. Checked out your thread, damn....... was that a result of the weakened boards at that point? Did it put more stress on the tunnel and bend it because of that?

There is only one manufacturer who makes boards for the 02 MC and they are $180. Too much to spend on my secondary sled.

Last edited:

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Real Quick.............It's "Q" not G. (My name is Quinton for clarities sake)

Yes all the holes are flared. This adds a tremendous amount of rigidity versus just drilling or punching a hole which weaken the running board.

Give me a call. I;ll need your sled for about 1 1/2 hours max. I have some time in the schedule before the weekend if interested.

Thanks Ski-Laxn..............I appreciate the good word and glad you like the running boards I did for you!

Running board port.jpg

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Call cutler and get his snow eliminators, works great, makes the boards stronger then stock and then you dont have to wory about it. They are $150, but thats alot cheaper then a new tunnel if you trash yours.

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Completed!

Thanks CO.2 for bringing me your sled.

Attached are two pictures of the completed project.

Thanks again!

303-263-8016

2002 Mtn. Cat 002.jpg 2002 Mtn. Cat 001-2.jpg

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Thanks again for the fine work done to my running boards. From what I can tell they are MORE solid than stock. Can't wait to try them out in the pow. I highly recommend Quinton's work to anyone. :beer;

T
Nov 18, 2008
Maine
I am thinking about doing this to my sled. Question though; have you ever flared the ports upward to allow the foot to more/less grip onto the edges? Just a thought......

Premium Features