• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rock Creek- Tom Minor Basin

S
Nov 26, 2007
Crazy Mountains
went up rock creek by gardiner today, rode with the Hoffmans(CMX for those of you who don't know), the CMXr's took out some trailin arms unfortunatley, the rest of us did ok, i had a hose clamp on my intake boot snap off due to 900 vibrations:D we found some nicer snow up on top tho, hogged up a bunch of powder! the tight and windy trail goin up is not for the timid or faint of heart! all in all it was a pretty good ride, short due to everyone's mishaps, but it was a fun ride, wore myself out from ridin Chris Burandt style all day long(kick your leg off the side of the sled), tons of fun!

T
Nov 27, 2007
Yes the map is crap. Get a USGS topo map, sit down with magnifying glass and the new travel plan map and freehand place the boundaries in section by section on your USGS map. From the looks of it, if you are riding Ramshorn, you are too far south and if you drop into Big Creek, you are too far north. I know, pretty friggin vague but maybe it will help you. Google Earth has been handy for this, some of these boundaries correspond to ridgelines and drainages.

R
Nov 29, 2007
Livingston, Montana
This is the way I look at it ride hard and they won't catch you. If they do catch you just remember dumb looks are free. Plain and simple, there is no published physical discription, of the out of bounds area to my knowledge.

S
Nov 27, 2007
Livingston, MT
The FS posted some sigs up Rock Cr to show where you can't ride (I only saw one). I still think it is very confusing when you are acually riding up there. Hopefully the closure designations become clearer (or re-evaluate closing it, I know pipe dream). Great snow though right now.

A
There was a slide near Windy Pass yesterday. Buried one snowmobiler 2-3 feet under. When he was found he was breathing but un-conscious. Got warmed up, and rode out on the back of his buddies sled. There is more info. on the Gallatin National Avalanche site. We were up there yesterday but didn't know about the slide. Be safe everyone!

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Yeah. you guys had a Blue dodge, Black ford, and i beleave a white derimax???:confused:

But yea your friend was asking about Rob Micdonald.

Did you see a broken down Polaris 340 fan on the side of the traile? I ended up towing that junker out for my friends that live up on the hill there.

Next time you go with the Hoffmens you should let me know. I talk to mark every once in a wile when he stops in Gardiner coming back from Cooke and my aunt used to live next door to his shop for a few years and they are all good friends. :cool:

Premium Features