• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Getting a Sled into Canada.

M
Nov 28, 2007
I have had the Dealership send the papers to the boarder.

is there anything else I need prior to going down ?

Any info would be great I am heading down tomorow.

THANKS !!

J
Nov 26, 2007
hey man I just brought two up. First you have to go onto "www.cbp.gov" and print off an 72 hours previous export worksheet and fill it out. Then you have to fax that to the border where you are going to cross 72 hours in advance of bringing the sled back. The dealer must also fax th title bill of sale etc (papers) plus a recall sheet (saying all recalls have been done) to the border crossing that your are going through. Then you just go get the sled, bring it back and make sure u stop at the american side first so they can do a quick inspection (make sure the serial number matches basically). You then go to the canadian side and pay the inspection fee and the gst. Then when you get back, you have to wait for your form 2's to come and then you take this one and the form 1 you get at the border to canadian tire where they'll do a canadian inspection (which you already paid for at the border) before you can register the sled. Your sled only has to have a working kill switch, headlight, tailight, and reflectors to pass. I know it sounds complicated but its not to bad. Hope this helps!! (PS i just brought two back and have completed this whole process)

M
Nov 28, 2007
I did not fill out that form but all of my info bill of sale and sled info is at US customs and was there over 72 hours in advance.

Hopefully this won't be a problem :(

Do you know where I would find the # to the US boarder crossing in Blaine ?

M

MenzToys

Nov 26, 2007
Castlegar BC canada
www.menztoys.com
i was told at u.s. customs you do not have to notify them ahead of time or even stop on their side with a snowmobile anything with wheels yes 72 hours ahead you need a bill of sale and reg. riv will send you a letter telling you to get the letter of recall from the manufactuer pay your taxes to canadian customs

Dec 1, 2007
I just brought a sled from the US and it was simply. Just show up with your bill of sale and pay the taxes at the border. Why go to cananadian tire? Don't go to ICBC for insurance go to Capri insurance (Kelowna) and it they do not require a form that proves it meets Canadian regulations.

M
Nov 28, 2007
I have a friend who brought quads back from Utah and he just rolled into Canadian customs paid PST they sent him a letter and he did go to Canadian tire to get it registered. Customs kept sending him letters telling him he had to ?

I will call the Export office in Blaine on my way back up and see if they need to see me or not.

My paperwork is there.

Does US customs charge a inspection fee ?

Thanks for your help guys I just want to make sure my bases are covered.

Cheers :beer;

J
Nov 26, 2007
In order to register the sled you have to get the inspection at canadian tire. there are a few other places but this is the most common. As far as stopping at the american side first, i went through to the canadian side and they sent me back so that the american side could check to be sure that the serial numbers on the paperwork matched the actual sleds (preventing stolen sleds from leaving the US). I just brought two new summits back and so i have been through all of this not more than a week ago but maybe some of this stuff depends on which border crossing you use (I used sweetgrass). All in all it should go well as long as your paperwork is in order. best of luck man!

M
Nov 28, 2007
So I am back in Canada in one piece.

I have with me an 06 Sumit 800 151" with 244 miles on it :D :beer;

I went down paid the dealer with a US dollar bank draft they confirmed funds will I went through the sled with a mechanic.

On the way back through Pacific Truck Crossing in Blaine I did not stop at the U.S. Side.

I actually don't think there was one, just a bunch of duty free shops. Any how took a deep breath and proceeded to Canadian Customs they asked me how much I was declaring. I told her she filled out a little form and sent me inside where I paid GST and PST. They gave me a letter saying that when my form 2 comes I would have to pay the $195 registration fee and go to Canadian tire. All in all I was at the boarder for 15 minutes ;)

SOOO EASY !!!

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
So I am back in Canada in one piece.

I have with me an 06 Sumit 800 151" with 244 miles on it :D :beer;

I went down paid the dealer with a US dollar bank draft they confirmed funds will I went through the sled with a mechanic.

On the way back through Pacific Truck Crossing in Blaine I did not stop at the U.S. Side.

I actually don't think there was one, just a bunch of duty free shops. Any how took a deep breath and proceeded to Canadian Customs they asked me how much I was declaring. I told her she filled out a little form and sent me inside where I paid GST and PST. They gave me a letter saying that when my form 2 comes I would have to pay the $195 registration fee and go to Canadian tire. All in all I was at the boarder for 15 minutes ;)

SOOO EASY !!!

Good to here you didn't have problems, some people get held at the border for 3+ hours. A lot of border guards are *******s to put it nicely.

Premium Features