• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Old dog learns new tricks

C
Dec 10, 2007
Anchorage, Alaska
So lately "the addict" has been urging me to tinker with the clutches on my machine. This being my first sled I am a little hesitant to get too deep into the workings. Luckily we have a skidoo mechanic out here at work and he's been keeping me out of destructions way. Late last season I installed a polaris p-85 but didn't get to test ride it. I've been riding it all week and it is an improvment over the last primary that was on my machine. So yesterday I pulled the secondary off, tore it apart and cleaned it up. Per my mechanics observation, the secondary was not assembled correctly. It didn't have any spring tension. After correct re-assembly and installation I took the machine for a ride. What a difference. I guess that I figured that the 503 was just under powered. I was wrong. It's a rocket when everything is working as it should be. I did have one incident on my ride. Last season I nosed the little 503 into a stump and dinged the expansion chamber. What I didn't notice until yesterday is that it fatigued the elbow at the muffler. It broke clean right at the weld. So we brazed it up and I'll take it for a longer ride later today. Thanks Tony for urging me to tinker with my sled and optimize the power available.

cwh

Last edited:
C
Dec 10, 2007
Anchorage, Alaska
Went for anther ride today

So I took my sled out today. The brazing work on the muffler worked awesome. I did some more driven clutch work. I can't seem to bring the belt high enough in the secondary. It doesn't seem to have enough adjustment. I'm thinking that a new polaris belt will probably take care of this. My ride was great. The little 503 just came to life. Can't wait for more snow. Maybe we'll get some for Christmas.

cwh

Premium Features