• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

136" work to bring West?

L
Nov 27, 2007
We are set to ride for a week out of West Yellowstone. Have a Crossfire 1000 with the stock 1.25 x 136" track. Wondering how well the shorter track amd lug would do for deeper snow, mountain riding? Have always used a 153", but don't have enough experience to know how the shorter track and lug would work. Any thoughts would be helpful.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
It wasnt that long ago, that the 136" was the big dog. We did it for years. Easier on the longer sleds, yes, but IMO we learned to ride better on those shorter sleds.

gunslinger770

Lifetime Membership
Jan 25, 2006
North of Okanogan, Wa.
Though I'm a "longer the better fan" myself, I rode short tracks for many years prior to there being such a thing as a "real" long track. They (the long tracks) really haven't been around all that long. You can still get to where you want to go with it, you just have to be a bit more creative! I can ride my wifes RMK 700 with the 136 x 2" into most of the same places on the mountain as my 159 x 2 1/4" RMK 900, with a little extra effort, okay, okay alot of extra in some places. :rolleyes: To a point, much of your riding has to do with your riding ability rather than what you're on. I say "to a point" because I can ride my 700 and 900 into steep mountain country much further than I can the old short track Phazer or Skidoo I used to ride back in the late eighties. But then again, they were what they were and they are still fine sleds in their own realm, even though I'd be long tracking them now.

To make a long story short, I'd rather be on the 153" but you should do just fine on your 136, given that you understand that it' not your 2" 153", especially once you get the feel of the sled. PS: If it was me I'd put on a longer deeper track and take the extra advantage of what your sled is really capable of, but that's only my two cents, like I said I'm all about long tracks.

Most of all, have fun! I'd love to take that ride out of West Yellowstone someday!

J
Nov 28, 2007
Lake Tahoe and Chicago
like they all said, its be done before so you can but better if you use a longer track. buy a new track, some extensions, and a tunnel extention. its about the price of a rental, then you will have both, switch back to 136 when at home, your tunnel would just be longer. or cheapest route buy a new 136 track with 2 inch lugs, will be a big step up from 1.25 in the POW

B

BackCountryBob

Aug 7, 2001
Arvada, Colorado
Like Outlaw said, we've been riding 136s for a long time in the powder---however, the 15" 1.25" on a high HP sled is not gonna doo well---for less than the cost of rental sleds you might get a good deal and a 136 X 16 X 2" take off track which would get the job done.

Kid Rock

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Steamboat Lake, CO
keep flipper pinned

and don't sit on the seat and you will be fine unless they get pounded with freshies. I good rider will be able to through that sled around enough to make it work.

My dad used to ride a exciter in the early 90's and had a 136x15x1.75 track and it had a SLP pipe he said it had around 90 HP and he used to climb and go through the hills beaten the hell out himself and giving it hell every were him and his buds went. he weighed 300 lbs. my point with this is guys been riding hills for a couple decades now and they used to do it on low HP sleds and shorter tracks.Now sled are better, stronger, lighter, faster. more power and longer traction. Yes they get you higher on the hill and float better through deep pow. I laugh at guys that brag what track they got. I ride a 1000 with a 162 track. My best friend still brings his 670 with a 136 he can manage to follow me were I go. yeah he cant climb the hills I can but we both been riding for 19+ years and he just knows how to ride. Its not the so much the sled as its 75% the rider.

IF you are gonna swith tracks go with a 144x16x2 it wont me much longer of a track but it will help and the extra width and paddle will float you through the powder. Dont worry what track size you got you will have fun with the power of that 1000. You wont be able to highmark like a longer track but you have just as much or if not more fun with that 136.

Just remember as long as you have fun and no one got hurt it was a great day of riding and thats all that matters!

My buddy has a Rev MXZ 800 with a 121, and he goes everywhere my summit 800 151 goes. And he doesn't really have to work it that much. It really comes down to the rider. His sled is actually more fun, I can carve that thing tight, whereas mine is a little more work, but some of that has to do with his being a rev and mine is a ZX chassis.

Now, he also has a 2001 AC SnoPro 440 that he takes everywhere, it has a 1 inch 121, with studs, an old snocross sled. He never gets that thing stuck, but we went out a couple weeks ago and his buddy stuck that thing about 8 times.

You can go whereever your abilities allow. Just pin it and have fun!

K
Dec 11, 2007
i ride my 136,could go longer track tho...900 rmk next year!!

n509796311_146796_6075.jpg

n509796311_146798_6480.jpg

O
Dec 6, 2007
Really depends on how deep and light the snow is. The problem, as mentioned, is the 1.25 lugs. I have seen a 136x2 on a Summit 670 go pretty much everywhere my 800 159 would go. He couln'dt break trail with it but it went pretty good. With the 1.25 track, it is gonna trench something fierce.

As for this 121 BS. NO WAY guys. There is no way a 121x1 is riding where I ride, you are totally kidding yourself if you believe that. I have seen a guy try, a good rider on a 440 IQ, no comaprison, stuck all day.

As for this 121 BS. NO WAY guys. There is no way a 121x1 is riding where I ride, you are totally kidding yourself if you believe that. I have seen a guy try, a good rider on a 440 IQ, no comaprison, stuck all day.

Nah, I said where MINE goes, not yours! LOL, we don't hill climb. We take that thing to Buck Creek, Taylors Fork and other West Yellowstone/Big Sky places, don't need to climb or anything to take it in to the powder. He is a good rider and can make it some amazing places. But yeah, in 3 foot powder and climbing most hills, not gonna make it.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
No sense in commenting on the 121x1 track that goes everywhere, but with that 1000 if don't want to spend a lot on it, put a 136 with a minimum of a 2" paddle, and you will have a lot of fun. The track you have is way to hard and will just dig a hole. You will be able to get around with it like it is but it's not what you are heading west for and I doubt you bought the 1000 because you like to follow all day!

L
Nov 27, 2007
Thanks for the input. I am going to look into extensions and a different track. Rental will cost $700 or so total, so I have some cash to work with.

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
My buddy runs a 144"X2" on a crossfire 7 and does real well with it. If you stick to 144 or less you won't have to extend the tunnel. Keeps costs down and doesn't look goofy when you put the 136 back on for around home. Tracks USA makes a good extension set for them and you can find 144's pretty cheap.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Murray Utah
I grew up riding in the west yellowstone area. Although we have more fun now on the mountian sleds, we used to get around pretty well on 440 s and 3/4" lug tracks. Depending on the snow conditions and where you plan on riding, you may be fine with the 1.5". There are plenty of high mountian meadows and play area that are easily accessed from groomed trails. Unless you want to do serious hillclimbing, or the powder is over a foot deep, you should do fine with the stock set-up. Keep this in mind, your power will drop a bunch. West is at 7000 ' ASL and the horse power drop is 3%for every 1000' of elevation gain. That means your 183 hp sled is only putting out 143 hp in those higher play areas. If you plan on making the trip every year, then I say spend the dough on the track. If you plan on a new machine soon, look into something more mountian specific at that point. BTW, if you plan on riding in Yellowstone Nat'l Park, you will have to rent anyway.

T
Dec 1, 2007
X2, on the 144x2. A buddy of mine put one under his crossfire 7 with just rail extensions, no tunnel extension. Track and extension from Tracks USA, under $600 delivered last year.

Premium Features