• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Has anybody made their own turbo kit(How much?)

shadow conspiracy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Quesnel, B.C.
Wondering if anybody has made there own turbo kit. Seems like if you could find the same turbo OVS uses you could do it alot cheaper. Just curious.

D
Nov 26, 2007
Kettle Falls WA
It seems your paying *a lot* for development and knowledge.

3k would cover parts me thinks, so your paying another 3k for R&D

I think another couple years will see turbo cost greatly reduced (x fingers)

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
I have done a few of them, it is a big learning curve.

Here is my 2 cents on it, a lot of folks price parts out and figure Hey I can save myself 1500 bucks :face-icon-small-ton, why should I get bent over buying a kit. Dude it don’t work like that it could go the other way were you save yourself 1500 buying a kit. Don’t count on it being cheaper unless you built a few and had to fix your own mistakes :embarassed: , can fab everything for free or have a turbo kicking around that needs a good home. A simple thing like routing a 1/8 hose wrong can take out a engine and a turbo :Cry: I have spent a wicket amount of time doing R&D......... how do you ad that in :face-icon-small-con

There is a lot more to it than meets the eye. But it also allows you do things that you will not find in a kit because of costs or there is more fabricating to be done on the sled to fit or trick out a kit. I love doing it, couldn't do it for a living, I am just not that good at it, I am kind of lazy to.

Good luck with it, if you build one and are happy with it you will probably never buy a kit but always have boost on hand.

Oh ya you were asking how much, I did up a 07 2 years ago that that cost 3500.00 total price with the wrote off sled included, but I had a bunch of leftover parts from other builds. Link below

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=69681&highlight=

Last edited:
S

SnowDevil

Nov 26, 2007
Portland
Wondering if anybody has made there own turbo kit. Seems like if you could find the same turbo OVS uses you could do it alot cheaper. Just curious.

you know I have thought this many of times, but that 1500 bucks you save goes real quick with ONE mistake, 1 burndown = (2 jugs + 2 pistons + 1Turbo = 1000 + big headache)! I have no problem letting OVS burn up sh1t doing the research so I dont have to! might even buy them a beer or two!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
you know I have thought this many of times, but that 1500 bucks you save goes real quick with ONE mistake, 1 burndown = (2 jugs + 2 pistons + 1Turbo = 1000 + big headache)! I have no problem letting OVS burn up sh1t doing the research so I dont have to! might even buy them a beer or two!

Yeah, sometimes it's better to just pay someone do to the R & D for you.
I'd buy from an experienced system builder.

S

Snowstar

Aug 22, 2006
Ogden Ut.
If you could build a perfect kit on the first try with no issues then it would be worth it. I built my own kit with all the knowledge I aquired from Shain working with him and still spent more in the end than buying a kit at full retail price. Given it was a custom application but still I would have been time (over a year) and money ahead to just buy a proven kit.

T

TurboM700

Nov 26, 2007
St. Anthony MN
lt a few of my own kits. Yes it cheaper but it's way more stressful. Building of the kits is easy part. It’s the trial and error of clutching and getting the aftermartkets to adjust their box to fit your turbo that takes the time and money.

For example. I built my own turbo m7 3 years ago before the turbo thing really took of. I did a simple 2-injector m7. Built the kit had about 2000 grand into everything. I had allot of the misc stuff laying around and I could fab all my own parts. Well first day out on the hill out west. (Im a flatlander that only head west once or twice a year). We got to our favorite hill that usually takes a while of trying at it to make it up. I get the sled all dialed just poking at the hill. First real try at it take it right over the top. Thought to my self heck this thing is fun. Let some of my other friends try it. Had a grand old time. We all were just getting to leave I jump back on my sled wont start. Check everything we could. Had no fuel pressure. It turns out the a M7 cant run a High Volume fuel pump for very long with out taking out the stator. So out on my first day of a 4-day trip my sleds down for the count. I call a very well knowing dealer for cats out west that I bought the fuel pump from told him what happened. He said yea that right you have an M7 the fuel pump wont work.

So about 600 dollars later for a new stator and the stock fuel pump back in it I have my self a turbo sled.

Not to mention the 800 dollars it cost me to rent a sled for 3 more days. Plus the steak dinner I bought my friends for helping me off the mountain.

Also not to mention that the resale value on a turbo sled that you built your self is horrible.

All in all can you build your own turbo sled. Yes you can. Would I in courage it sure if you like tweaking things for the first few rides.

You also better be very knowledgeable on how a 2-stroke turbo works before you even think about this. I this is your first turbo 2-stroke buy a kit. You will be much better in the long run.

P

Pure Logic Tuning

Dec 3, 2007
www.purelogictuning.com
If building turbo kits was as cheap as $2000.00 or $3000.00 dollars they would be alot cheaper than what we sale them for. The big problem is to build a kit with all the bells and whistles that is customer friendly costs alot more than that.

T

TurboM700

Nov 26, 2007
St. Anthony MN
If building turbo kits was as cheap as $2000.00 or $3000.00 dollars they would be alot cheaper than what we sale them for. The big problem is to build a kit with all the bells and whistles that is customer friendly costs alot more than that.

Please explain more of this "customer friendly" and "bell whistles" what does your turbo kits have that I don’t have listed below be side R&D. Which there is another wrong with that but I'm just showing you can build a kit for less than 3000 grand.

I look at it this way

Ball Bearing Garrett 1000.00 new
Oil Pump for the turbo 250.00
Fuel Box to control injectors 400.00
Fuel pressure Regulator 200.00
Fab and build air box and oil tank 500.00 or 250 a piece
Clutch 250
Misc fitting and other odds and ends 500.00
High Volume fuel pump 100.00

Grand total of 3000
And this is buying everything at one at a time. If you could buy in bulk you would save another 10-25% on top.

If you can fab your own stuff for free take off 500. I don't see anything in there that you guys or any turbo manufacture do different. As I said in the early post I had most the small things laying around.

If you cant build a turbo kit for less than 3000 dollars why is Silber selling his for 3200-3500?

Mike

M
Nov 26, 2007
Cranbrook B.C.
"bells and whistle/user friendly" I think would include egt or air fuel gauge($300), boost gauge ($60),vents ($200), boost controller ebc for example($400) and blow off valve($200) just a ball park on prices. those are just the few things that come to my mind when I think about it.

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
I’m a typically arrogant fella who thought he knew it all (ok, I still do)…spent the last two years on two different turbo kits and have seen plenty run very very well, be it folks I ride with or folks I met. You can spend your winter with a home grown toilet kit and simply not have fun, because you will be wrenching/tuning/burndown/ect…..or you can give one of the big three builders some extra coin and you will “ride happy”:face-icon-small-hap

sidenote - after you finally get a toilet kit to run....then comes the POS stock skid:face-icon-small-sho

D

Dano702

Dec 15, 2007
Sin City
Where are you getting a new GT 2871 for 1000.00 ? 1200.00 is the cheapest i have found . My TTM8 came with clutching , venting ,air fuel,fuel pressure, and boost gauges, boost controller , 4 injectors in the T Bodies, a low compression head, and a blow off valve .

And it ran like a raped ape every ride , since i first rode it . I started out talking to Shain about buying parts from him , he said no problem what do you need . I ended up buying a whole kit , but he was going to sell me just what i wanted .

I am glad i just wrote the check , i just rode and did not worry.:face-icon-small-hap

S

SnowDevil

Nov 26, 2007
Portland
if you look at each manufactures kit there is a variety of prices. but at the end of the day if you get them all apples to apples the prices are very close. Lets say they make 1500 bucks on a kit which is likely, they are a business and at the end of the day they need to make something.
When you get down to it that kit cost 4 to 4.5 then they pay rent salary utilities and RnD. plus in the end you have someone to call to fix the problem your buying knowledge of the system.
Now some guys like to tinker and do there own thing! I ride with one of them, hes a great friend and we talk alot but that level of work isnt for me, its a tuff road.
Unfortunately your only looking at the $$$'s, everyone is trying to be nice so, knock yourself out but dont bash the guys selling the kit cause you dont like the price, go find out for yourself if its that easy.
Im glade someone is doing it cause I sure as heII dont want stock again!

T

TurboM700

Nov 26, 2007
St. Anthony MN
First off I was talking about more of a 2 injector set-up then 4. But 4 wouldn’t add that much more. 2 injector a different box which I left money for in there as I think a 2 injector box is 300 and 4 is 425.

If you look back I left 500 for misc stuff I.E boost gauge vents fuel pressure gauge.

I also left 500 to build an oil tank and air box that was to pay some to fab them up. If you can do it your self there is less than 50 dollars in material between the two.

You don’t need a EBC to control boost. A 50 smart boost controller of eBay works just fine. I guess I would assume if you’re jumping in the turbo bandwagon you have an EGT or AFR gauge to tune with. If not add that to the cost.

You can also save some money if you use your oil pump you have now to lube the turbo. Like twisted does.

I never once burned my "toilet" sled down the whole time I had it. If it wasn’t for the high volume fuel pump that doesn’t work so well with the M7 I would have had a flaw less first time out. But I’m not a new kid on the block when it comes to tune and clutching sleds.

I also have a machine shop that I can fab all my own parts so it made it easy to make the kit. Half the fun of a turbo sled for me was building it and trying different things.

I still stand behind my original post yes you can build your own kit it not that hard. Will you be money head? More than likely. If it is your first time turboing something and have never tuned a 2-stroke then go buy a kit. You will have a lot less headache and more time flying thru the snow.

Mike

S

SnowDevil

Nov 26, 2007
Portland
on your cost breakdown you have forgotten one very important cost. TIME from the time you decide to do this project till it actually runs correctly what is the time difference? its going to take longer to find, buy, fab and assemble all the parts. Then take it out and start tuning and find out that you need a couple part adjustments.... total time difference?
I know I can install a kit in a day, plus a day of tuning so say 20 hrs. till im up and running, you would still be on the internet finding parts and fabing you intake box and oil res. in that amount of time.
So if your shop rate was 40 bucks to do fab which is half of most shops, and it takes you an extra 40 hrs to get it up and running (that would be the low side) thats = 1600 if your quick and dont give a poop how it looks. But most likely your looking at an added 80 which is 2 weeks of time. $3200
Now i didnt pull this stuff out of the air, my buddy did this project this summer and did hours of research to find the correct turbo, then finding the best price on parts which you dont get to order from one supply house, do the math.
But if your time is worth $$0$$ it would be cheaper to build your own kit, so I dont agree!! my time is worth way more to go ride but you may not take that into account.
Doug

T

TurboM700

Nov 26, 2007
St. Anthony MN
You can do it!!!!!!!!

on your cost breakdown you have forgotten one very important cost. TIME from the time you decide to do this project till it actually runs correctly what is the time difference? its going to take longer to find, buy, fab and assemble all the parts. Then take it out and start tuning and find out that you need a couple part adjustments.... total time difference?
I know I can install a kit in a day, plus a day of tuning so say 20 hrs. till im up and running, you would still be on the internet finding parts and fabing you intake box and oil res. in that amount of time.
So if your shop rate was 40 bucks to do fab which is half of most shops, and it takes you an extra 40 hrs to get it up and running (that would be the low side) thats = 1600 if your quick and dont give a poop how it looks. But most likely your looking at an added 80 which is 2 weeks of time. $3200
Now i didnt pull this stuff out of the air, my buddy did this project this summer and did hours of research to find the correct turbo, then finding the best price on parts which you dont get to order from one supply house, do the math.
But if your time is worth $$0$$ it would be cheaper to build your own kit, so I dont agree!! my time is worth way more to go ride but you may not take that into account.
Doug

Your 100% right and I agree with you on this. But that was not what was asked. It was asked can you build your own kit. Yes you can. If you read very carefully and have some basic understand of a turbo you can figure it out. That what I did 3 years ago.

Also I left some money in there to build some of this bigger parts air box and oil tank. 500 dollars is enough to have them fabbed up. I would now I work for a fab shop and I do a lot of quoting that comes in the door.

My company and I looked into building turbo kits for snowmobile. As we always trying to find a different way to keeps money coming in the door. I wrote a big business plan up and after all me research it just wasn’t a risk worth taking.

To me my time is worth 0$$$$$. This is a hobby to me and there know better way to know the inside and out of a turbo kit then to build your own. Not to mention it a fun thing for me to do.

So if your time is worth nothing and you enjoy building stuff and you like tinkering with this yes you can build your own kit. If you have never tuned a 2-stroke before then go buy a kit. That what I have been saying all along.

Mike

S

SnowDevil

Nov 26, 2007
Portland
if you look at it as a hobby and you dont factor in time I agree you can build on cheaper, but if you look into programing turbo sizes, housing sizes bov's.... I dont believe you will have as good of system, I didnt say it wont work but I dont believe untill you build and change it a half dozen or dozen times its not going to work as good as a purelogic, twisted or cpc. Im guessing you could build a better one the boondocker or atleast get all the parts!:peep:

Premium Features