• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What if you didn't have to break in your belts anymore?

T

Trinity Taz

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Ive been brainstorming alot lately about belt break in:heres my thoughts:

What if someone were to build a belt break-in machine that subjected belts to the same conditions they would experience in a usual idea break-in period?
What if, when we buy a new belt, we buy it from this guy who has this machine who has already broken the belt in for us and then we aren't stuck with having to ride like a granny for the first 30 miles just so we don't blow up our new belt?
What if, say this idea actually adds durability to your belts, this guy charged an extra $25 or so a belt to perform this service?

Kinda sounds like a good idea to me...now we just gotta find the guy who wants to do this!

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Hell with that, I'll do it myself and keep my money. Also shipping to and from would kill that idea. Everyone on this site wants to be the baddest azz out there when they ride and won't take the time to do things properly. Now if they would they'd save money and make the sled manufacturer of their choice look better now would they?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
IMHO break-in for a belt is a little overrated.....OK, a LOT overrated.
Warming up a belt for the first 3 minutes of every ride before squeezing the trigger is more than adequate.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Its not that hard- put the new belt on when you are headed back to the truck at the end of day....
Exactly....the last couple belts I washed in soapy water (2 minutes? maybe??), and then put on at the cabin end of the day and rode down to the truck. I don't know if it'll last any longer than a non-broken in one, but it definetly can't hurt and made me feel like I accomplished something with basically 0 effort.

But, no, I wouldn't pay more for a pre-broken belt and would probably do the same thing with it anyways.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I've thought about building a break-in machine for some time but haven't got around to it yet. Belt life can be increased by 10-fold if an easy 30 or 40 miles are put on it. My usual easy ride to the truck is only 5 miles, four belt changes are needed to put 40 miles on a new one. That's not to tough to do but I wish I had a machine in the garage to do it for me.

P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
the only way I could think that would make any sense, is if that person that sold the pre broken-in belts could buy them at such a quantity, to get a bulk discount, and then be able to offer the broken-in belts for only a couple bucks more than normal. But, then that raises the issue, that what if that belt fails, and the buyer thinks the belt was broken in wrong?????????? Even if there is a warranty, (such as with the ultimax belts) I'll bet that warranty does not apply to the 2nd purchaser.

just a few thoughts.

what I'd rather see.... is the industry starting to standardize the belt sizes. someone please tell me why we have to have 43,263 different belts out there! I understand why... the different clutch sizes, vs the placement of clutches, but.... making that a priority during the design phase would go real far in my book.

Last edited:
V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
My wife rides a 600 edge RMK, mine is a 700.

New belt goes on her sled, her "used" belt is my broke in "new" belt.

Works like a charm.

The swap the belt out on the way back in trick works pretty good too if the wifey doesn't get out before I need to break in a new belt.

VB

Premium Features