• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What To Do?!?!?!

Dec 9, 2007
MN
so i am looking into buying a 4stroke.. my Q is, do i go turbo first, then light weight stuff? or take the weight off first and ride it till i have enough for the power upgrade????:confused: looking for input from from both sides please. this is a really tough choice i think. i currently ride a 02 MM 700 159" and have put alot of time and $$$ into light weight parts and motor... I WANT to step into more power, climb higher, boondock better, and NOT have to worry about JETS!! LOL thanks for your .02
-dru

P
Nov 28, 2007
Layton Utah
Turbo first and you might decide that with all that power weight is not the issue it used to be.

Besides you can always get lighter parts later but lighter parts will not give you the ability to go where these turbos go they are pretty incredible.

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Get the sled first and see what you think. In my case I bought a new Nytro with the intension of turboing it right away. Now that I've had a few rides on it i'm going to go light weight and suspension mods this year and turbo it before next year. Either way its a great sled and only going to get better one way or the other.

A

AkHockey10

Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage, Ak
Posted above.

I too agree that you should ride the sled first. then decide. go on a couple rides with it just the way it is, then base your decisions on what you've learn about the sled. :)

I would put light stuff on first, that dont cost much, then go turbo, but, then again, if you turbo it, you may not need too worry about the lightweight stuff.

Good luck! :cool:

J
I have an 06 apex that is 100% stock with the exception of stiffer rear springs (which are also OEM)...

I wanted to go turbo at first, but after I got it and rode it, I decided that the extra money was going to make my winter toy worth more than my work pickup, so... I decided against it.

MY ONLY SUGGESTION (and i'm gonna get ripped a new one for saying this (and I've been Yamaha all my life)), IF you go out an buy a new 4 stroker...BUY THE HIGHJACKER sled jack....You will not only need it, you will LOVE IT. I say this because if you don't have a turbo on, you are gonna get stuck that much more often..... and it only costs what?..... 250-350 bucks... and Bill Harmon stands behind his products (he even talks to you over the phone at 930pm from home if you call him...he is a really nice guy.... just my 2cents

Z

zsnowshredder

Nov 30, 2007
Mancos, CO
I'm going to get Turbo and a 159 track for my Nytro (that should only take a week). If I am unhappy with that, I'll lighten her up this summer.(that may take some time and homework) More light wieght parts will be available later this year. You have to figure out what is the best deal on a cost per pound.

An Example from my experience over the last couple years w/ the Doo (and I'm rounding some numbers here)
Alernative Impact Ti A-Arms 14.5 lbs weight loss....750 $.. 50 $ per lbs
Light Brake Rotor-2 lbs weight loss...200 $.... 100 per pound.
Carbon fiber Hood-2 lbs weight loss...300$.... 150 per pound.

I made a spread sheet and then made my purchases after some careful planning. You have to take the sled apart and weigh everything, it's a lot of work and a lot of time.

Boost it, ride it, then make the call.

Dec 9, 2007
MN
man you guys make some really good points!!!!! i think i am leaning towards boost first... keep coming with the opinions!! thanks
-dru

R
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Sask
I went with the turbo and a Timbersled rear skid. The rear suspension drops almost 40 pounds(38 to be exact) so I think that is the best bang for your buck and should stop the suspension issues a few have been talking about.
Might as well put on fox floats on the front as well to stiffen things up a bit and drop a bit more weight.

H

HYFLYR

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 21, 2007
Alaska
Boost first!

Besides, when its boosted all you will be worried about is hanging on, not how light it is or can be.

Dec 9, 2007
MN
thanks for the input guys!!! how much weight can you take off an apex? nitro? what boost companys do you like best? (power, reliability, ease of working on etc.)
thanks again!!
-dru

S
Nov 26, 2007
spring creek, nv.
Boost it first, then see if you even need to lighten it up, if you haven,t been on a boosted sled befor you won,t need light wieght parts, go with the Nytro its already about 50 lbs. lighter than the apex, as has been said already timbersled rear suspension is the first place to start after boost if you think its needed, I don,t think you will need to do much more. I had a 2003 TRX dry wieght 535lbs with turbo installed, I now have a nytro and I am putting a MCX turbo timbersled rear suspension lighter battery and removing anything thats not needed, thats all for the money all the other small items are not worth it. after market light wieght parts due not make your sled worth anymore when you get ready to sell, its basically wasted money, and with boost you will not see the difference in the last 20 lbs. which would cost around $2000.

S
Dec 3, 2007
Cle Elum, Wa
I am new to the turbo scene, I am considering crossin over next year but I also have a couple of questions. I have heard turbo's burn the engine up alot quicker, any truth to it? How are turbos maintence wise, do they nickel and dime anymore than a non-turbo 2-stroker? I would have to buy a used turbo what should I stay away from when looking? Thanks for the help

R
Nov 27, 2007
South Fork, CO
Since i had an RX1, i needed to get the junk suspension and short track fixed before boost. First season and a half i rode it mostly stock. I then put an Ekholm Suspension on mine and my brother put an M7 suspension on his which saved us each 35+lbs and gave us a longer track. Thats when i put boost on. now i have some lightweight parts and boost

Dec 9, 2007
MN
SUMMITCHASER-

I am new to the turbo scene, I am considering crossin over next year but I also have a couple of questions. I have heard turbo's burn the engine up alot quicker, any truth to it? How are turbos maintence wise, do they nickel and dime anymore than a non-turbo 2-stroker? I would have to buy a used turbo what should I stay away from when looking? Thanks for the help

i second his question!?!
-dru

Premium Features