• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

where can I find gas tanks for gas rack

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
M

MBR46

Dec 1, 2007
looking for a nice tank to put on the back of my vanamburg tunnel, where are you guys getting these? thanks

B
Nov 26, 2007
Western Canada
the 5 gal tanks that fit good in the billet racks are hard to find,i think they stopped makin them,try an old hardware store thats where i got mine,there more of a rectangular square and they fit better than the tall obsolique ones.

H
Jan 9, 2003
Sparks, Nevada
I am sure he doesnt need a rack milehigh.. He has a Van Amburg tunnel!
MBR I found my cans at a little mini mart in the middle of nowhere.. Just keep your eyes peeled at small stores they usually have cans from a few years ago because of the slow purchasing rate at their stores!

M

MBR46

Dec 1, 2007
thanks for the help guys, there was a guy with a black tank on here somewhere that i could not find....

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The Good Ones Wont Be Availble Very Soon.

Finding a good gas can these days is a bigger challenge than you might think.. The EPA compliant cans, which are now required in all States are the only ones available... those are a funny shape and size that dont fit the sleds well any longer... PLUS they have the ventless system that makes transfer a PITA!!

Canada follows in January, from what I'm told, with the Ventless requirement on the cans... It's already difficult to find a Canadian tire with the vented designs.

Mountain Addiction sells some very nice 1.3 gallon, and 5 gallon cans WITH vents. The 1.3's are $28 and the 5's are $45. Colors: deep red, bright orange, yellow, blue, white, black and lime green. www.mountainaddiction.com

The best 2.5 gallon tank that is available untill they are gone at the dealers is the Polaris 2.5 gallon can. It has a strap/buckle setup, is low and wide to fit tunnels and racks and has the old vented design with a flexible spout that is easy to pour. It has heavier walls than most cans out there to handle abuse better.

I saw that nice black 2.5 gallon gas can on the forum a while ago too. I contacted the owner and he told me it was the polaris can with painted with Black plastic paint... I dont think that that would stand up to scratches too long and in short order you would have a black AND red can!

I also like the screw down feature of the Polaris vent, compared to the "flip up" style, it cant get snagged open and spurt gas all over while riding.

The Polaris can, pt # 2875249, has been discontinued from Polaris (check at www.purepolaris.com) Polaris and there are only some left at dealers back stock... get em while there hot! They are pricey at $25 (always have been) for the can with straps, but soon you wont be able to find something like this. I just got off of the Phone with Polaris...discontinued....Carl's cycles has a few left in stock (208) 853-5550

Ski-Doo makes a gas caddy, but it is too wide to fit most racks and costs about $80

Polaris 2.5 Gallon Can
2875249.jpg

MTN Addiction 1.3 gallon (shown in red)
ourstuff_trackrack_redjugsm_lg.jpg

The Mtn Add. 5 gallon can
ourstuff_trackrack_redjuglg_lg.jpg

Here is the Black one I think you guys are talking about from JCB's nightfire
It is a Polaris EDGE Chassis fuel can, painted black, no longer avail new, but maybe from local Polaris dealers.
It was replaced by the one above, which itself is discontinued, to be replaced by the new ventless, "spillproof" designs TBA

bag%2Ejpg

Black versions side by side of the Mtn. Add. 1.3 Gallon cans
blackcan.jpg

S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
The best 2.5 gallon tank that is available untill they are gone at the dealers is the Polaris 2.5 gallon can. It has a strap/buckle setup, is low and wide to fit tunnels and racks and has the old vented design with a flexible spout that is easy to pour. It has heavier walls than most cans out there to handle abuse better.
In my opinion the polaris can is complete junk. I've taken it on three rides and it leaks gas like you wouldn't believe. Will be taking it into the dealer tomorrow to see if they can think up a fix for it. Otherwise I'll be back to the drawing board again.

W

Wayniac

Nov 26, 2007
sunny Seattle
I too had been doing the search for the right size 2.5 gallon cans. It seems everyone is selling the cans made by "Blitz" which are not the ideal shape. I finally struck gold when I went to a Seattle Schucks auto supply and found cans made in Canada by Scepter http://www.scepterconsumer.com/

They were around $8 bucks I think. Fits my edge rack real nice and is a solid can.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Hey Mountainhorse I recognize that Dragon with the 2 Mountain Addiction jugs. If you go that route guys you'll want to add these to the bottom of the jugs to protect the jugs/tunnel:

000_0145.jpg

Good luck. EW

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
'Sup...

That sucks... leaking like that..

The can is such a simple design.

Where is it leaking from?

Is the o-ring on the filler spout in place and not wrinkled?

Is the rubber seal in place inside of the vent cap?

Take that sukka back to the dealer! and get yo self a new one!

E-Dub,
Yep... those Vortec racks are taking off well... hows the sled runnin?
Good tip on the Laminas Adherantes... where are you getting them from?

In my opinion the polaris can is complete junk. I've taken it on three rides and it leaks gas like you wouldn't believe. Will be taking it into the dealer tomorrow to see if they can think up a fix for it. Otherwise I'll be back to the drawing board again.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Sled is running good. Just adding some bars/risers, F-Bombs "Better Boards", Timber Sled rear suspension, and haven't decided on a track yet. Can't wait for more snow.

Got the "Grippers" (english version) at Lowes or Home Depot. A little bit of heat gun on the jugs and grippers and they are set. Have a good one man. EW

Premium Features