• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills..need help with rentals!

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
It's been awhile since I rented a sled but old girlfriend is coming up from Texas for spring break in March. With the past snow years I know someone shouldn't really plan on reservations more than a week or 2 in advance. But I need some help. My past experience with rentals is was that everyone tells you they have good sleds and they're in great shape. A buddy rented on from Custer Crossing in 98 or 99 and wound up being a Polaris 440 Fan short track that was gutless and pretty much limited us to the trail. I think that same year a buddy rented a Jag 440 from either Rec Springs or Custer Crossing and I rode it and I had never been so fearful of my safety the way that thing bounced from one side of the trail to the other. What I'm needing help in with guys is to find out who rents sleds out there and what kind of sleds they have and rates rental conditions (Pre Auth deposit of say $500). I know Rec Springs and Trailshead rents, I believe Custer Crossing is closed, not that I would ever rent from there again. But none of those places have their rates posted. I like how Bear Lodge has theirs posted but I have them on backburner in case there is no snow in the Black Hills when they come up. http://www.bearlodgeresort.com/snowmobiling/rentals.aspx

P
Trailshead, spearfish canyon

I had a buddy that rented a sled from trailshead last year, he called two days before and was able to get the only thing they had left, which wasn't much, but I am pretty sure I've seen some decent sleds out of there, and I know you can rent arctic cats from trails head but I don't know if you get anything other than a mountain cat 570, you'd have to call and ask... hope this helps

V
Nov 14, 2001
Huron, SD
Ya what prayinforsnow said. They are very good people to deal with at trailshead and I do believe they get new arctic cats every third season. I am not sure but I think this might have been the year for some new ones. Trailshead is also a great place to ride out of.

CatMan76

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
South Dakota
Also Herried Sportcenter from central sd takes a trailer out to trailshead they usually have nice sleds. 2 years ago we rented a 600 switchback, 600 fusion and a 600 XC. They were all pretty nice sleds. if you want to rent them though you have to get a hold of them right away cause they usually get booked out all winter. i believe it cost $150 per sled, we supplied the gas and they had there own oil they wanted run in the sleds so they supplied that.

O
Nov 27, 2007
vermillion, sd
I know that rec springs had 700 rmk's last time I wanted to rent (before I bought my own fleet of 3) but I couldn't say what they have now. Call them up and ask, I remember they had a few offerings. A 550 fan is not all that bad for a woman to ride. I know Spearfish canyon has new phazers but they are short tracks.

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
In the last few years all I have seen for rentals is RMK 550 Fan's at Rec Springs, 570 Mountain Cat and Z 570 121" at Trailshead. I don't know about the other places.

Premium Features