• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Island Park Snow conditions 07/08

W
Mar 17, 2003
Let's try to use this for the official Snow Conditions for Island Park, instead of reading through 5 different threads started for IP conditions.

H
Dec 7, 2007
IDAHO
Keg Springs Has No Snow, North Side Of Sawtell Has About 5 Feet

I Was Riding At Keg This Last Weekend, And It Is Skinny. However On The North Size Of Sawtell And Jefferson, You Could Ride Fairly Normal.

Last edited:
T

tgoodwin

Dec 6, 2007
Blackfoot
My buddy just back on Sunday from Jefferson. Said there was anywhere from 3-5 feet depending on the spot. Still a few rocks to watch out for, but that's usually the case until January.
I rode Blackline Canyon 2 weeks ago, unloaded at Big Springs. Down low there was only 8-10 inches. By about 10 miles into the ride we were in about 2-3 feet depending on the spot. Still lots of rocks and stumps. Friend plowed a boulder when he went off the trail and tore up his Rev.
Heading back up on Saturday for the day, should be better conditions after the whole week I wasn't there, and Monday's storm. Sounds like some of the high places got nearly a foot Monday. Hopefully this storm they're forecasting for tonight/tomorrow is a little more potent than predicted. Just need somewhere to get pounded so I can open up my m10.

T

tgoodwin

Dec 6, 2007
Blackfoot
sorry about my post above, I was at Black Canyon, which is also where my buddy wrecked his sled. I was thinking of the band Blackline and combined it with Black Canyon.

G

GMCRMK

Nov 28, 2007
SL,UT - IP,ID
SNOTEL & Web Cam Links

Here's some good IP links that I look at several times a day while praying for snow.

Osborne Bridge Web Cam (south before IP/Last Chance)

http://apps.itd.idaho.gov/apps/RWIDS_Public/pages/cameras/53.htm

Buffalo River Web Cam (in Last Chance)

http://www.rainbw.com/

Mt. Jefferson Web Cam (has been down for months. Hopefully will be back. Did the Lodge get sold yet?)

http://www.winchesterlodge.com/webcam/

Island Park Dam Snotel (on the flats)

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/nwcc/sntl-datarpt.jsp?site=546&days=7&state=ID

Elephant Hills Snotel (in the hills towards Henry's Lake)

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/nwcc/sntl-datarpt.jsp?site=860&days=7&state=ID

LET IT SNOW!!!

Last edited:
T

tgoodwin

Dec 6, 2007
Blackfoot
Jefferson

Just got off the phone w/ my brother. They went to Jefferson yesterday. Said the ride in if you go through blue creek is pretty rough. Had to cross a few logs and dodge some rocks on the way. His buddy piled up his King cat, and another broke the A-arm and shock on his 08 summit. Said the snow's really set up for a good base, now we just need another 6 feet on top of it.

S
Nov 27, 2007
Wausau, WI
So will it be worth my money to drive from Wisconsin to Island Park within the next few weeks. We have a cabin reserved for Jan 5-12? I heard a rumor the snow really starts flying by the end of December around there.

T
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, ID
Rode Bear Gulch to Last Chance to Ponds, up chick creek to fish creek down to Baker draw onto Warm River trail back to mesa falls road to the truck Yesterday. Maybe a foot down low. Snow pole at fish creek and baker draw said 2 1/2 feet.

Trails varied. Mesa falls road was very rutted from the 4x4 pickups that were driving back and forth on it. Through last Chance to ponds was horrible. Chick creek, Fish Creek and warm river trail were in awesome shape. They must have been groomed sometime early in the week and they now have some fluff on top.

Snowed all day. It was a super fluffy snow. We played alot and hit alot of land mines but not damage. There is no bottom up top. Rode 78 miles!

I left the camera in the truck! Sorry!

T

tgoodwin

Dec 6, 2007
Blackfoot
We rode Jefferson Saturday. Snowed all day so visibility was very poor, couldn't really open it up. Pretty decent snow though. Some of the hills that are out of the direct sunlight had about 3 1/2-4 feet, others only had 2-3. Still quite a few rocks and some beat up hills. Rode in through Blue Creek, and out through Willow Creek. I would suggest Willow Creek, lots of logs still exposed through B.C. The draw once you drop the ridge and come down the face through Blue Creek is getting pretty trenched and beat up. Overall though, it wasn't too bad, just keep an eye out for those little mounds in the snow, they'll get ya.

B

Bubba700

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Rexburg ID
Rode Rays

Rode rays today and it was sick! Over the hood in the trees visibilty at the top was bad so we just played in the meadows down at the bottom all day. Prob 2 feet out in the meadows. Pretty good coverage. Got some pics but don't have a prog to resize them.

J
Dec 3, 2007
Rode rays today and it was sick! Over the hood in the trees visibilty at the top was bad so we just played in the meadows down at the bottom all day. Prob 2 feet out in the meadows. Pretty good coverage. Got some pics but don't have a prog to resize them.

Hey why don't you get a "REAL" job?? ok ok Im just jealous that you get to go ride on a Monday. :face-icon-small-con

M
Nov 26, 2007
Hey what is the best route to get into Jefferson? We ride from our cabin thats behind Macks Inn and I was wondering what the best route to take would be from the cabin. Thanks, Moon

Premium Features