• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My thoughts on Fox floats

S
Nov 26, 2007
Rental....shag
I am not happy!! this is on a TApex. My opinion is that even at 80 lbs they ride halfway down in the stroke cutting the effective travel down to only a couple of inches which you blow through instantly. You then hit the end of the shock travel which is very stiff. I have tried many different pressures and it takes about 95-100 lbs to get them to ride up in the stroke like they should. even at that pressure they Blow through the stroke farely quickly. i also noticed that they allow the skis to chatter about 1 1/2" on hard pack which drives me nuts!!!

Any one with time on these want to give me your opinion?????

I am willing to get them revalved but would still be skeptical.

What are my other options for good shocks. I know Darko did some custom Ohlins. What else is out there?? I would really like to have some good shocks.

Sap

Last edited:
H

HYFLYR

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 21, 2007
Alaska
I had floats on my apex and didnt have a single problem you did. Ski chatter and quick full stroke was never an issue. Get them valved right and you will be good to go. I usually rode with mine set at 75 or so psi and they didnt sag at all, and almost never bottomed out on the trail and i dont necessarily ride "easy" For jumping i set them up to 100psi.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
You could see if zbroz will make you a set of shocks. Their's go for 1050 for a set of front shocks, triple rate springs, remote resevior or piggyback and compression damping adjustment. Seems like a really good deal, especially when floats are around 850 for a set.

Last edited:

Carp

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Not that this is about the shocks, but the Gen 2 Simmons make a huge difference on the handling of that sled. I run my floats at 100 psi, they say to check them with the ft of the sled off the ground, I haven't checked to see if that makes a difference in the pressure readings though.

I bought the Simmons skis and put them on for the first ride last weekend. I was very happy, best money spent next to the turbo.

D

DARKO

Nov 21, 2007
Kelowna, BC.
Haha, i been saying this for over a year, Floats on the Apex suck sh!t. I dont know who valves all these shocks for Yamaha but that dude should be kicked to the curb with the trash. Its a valving issue i garantee it, i rode my buddys M-1000 with Floats and thought they were pretty good, nothing like a good shock like Ohlins, Elka, even some of the Ryde FX.

IMO, Fox better step it up, years ago they had good shocks, now there run of the mill. Try an M series sled with Fox zero pros etc, they ride like sh!t. Then get on a Dragon, someone did there home work with thos shocks cuz there pretty wicked for a stock OEM sled.

R
Nov 26, 2007
Bozeman MT
I just put floats on my Apex (80lbs) and can't tell the difference between the stock shocks. Guess I'd have to ride on really good shocks to know the difference? I'm mostly after the weight loss.

A

absoluteapex

Nov 26, 2007
Grande Prairie,ab.
I understand the 08 stock(according to part no.)shock on the Apex has different valving than 07.I WILL have them on next week and will see.Another thing,are these shocks the correct size for the apex,100 psi?so many mods to these units what about air ride front ends?Go ahead and laugh,some guy in tim buck no where will have it.What about changing the gas in these?if the material the seals are made from are not compatible with non mode gases ie nitrogen are guys running with blown shocks?okay I think I just blew a fuse,gone riding,bye.

A
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
They are a personal preference thing. The base floats don't have many adjustments. A set of Evols will probably do what you want but for that kind of money, there are better choices in my opinion.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Get the add-on Secondary air chambers from Holz, Hygear These will greatly improve the ride on your Floats... You can still run a high primary pressure and have a secondary rate that is not harsh in the last half of the travel.

The spring (Air chamber pressure) rate does not ramp up so quickly in the last half of the stroke.

prod6.jpg

HolzAuxairchamber.jpg

Last edited:
R

Remmy

Dec 28, 2003
Just picked up a set of Evols from an overstocked ski-doo dealer, for a pretty good price, 16.75" eye to eye. I'm planning on going to a 41 or 42" stance so hopefully they will work out. If not I'll take them back and just run the standard floats this year.

I've contemplated going with ohlins up front, but then I'd be going further backwards in the weightloss program and they aren't cheap either. Especially if you want to get rid of the steel springs.

I think the Evols should be killer. (If they work out) Adjustable Compression, Rebound, and relatively lightweight. I've also heard some great reviews from a buddy cross country racing with them.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Rental....shag
The Hygear sounds interesting. What is the price on those? I will check on those today. My concern with that type of set up is one wrong tree branch and you could tear out the nipple.

Anyone mount up a set of FX air shocks on an Apex?

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
I have the full Fox Float set up on my SCApex. The fronts were on the sled when I purchased it. They work ok, but my old SCRX had Elka's. So for weight they are better, but the Elka's blow them away on the ride.

I just put a Holtz rear skid with a full compliment of 3 Fox Floats. All I can say is wow, they are light, and sure look good. Yep that's it...

Plus, for sale...darn near brand new condition, at a great discount. about 50 miles on them. ... Figure 100, will be @#$&%$*( with them tomorrow. Cant pass on 4' of powder.

A
Nov 29, 2007
SE MI
S
Nov 26, 2007
Rental....shag
Muffinworks!! That is a great name. I talked to Hygear. There setup is $400. I would hate to put that much money into somthing I might pitch in the trash.

Anyone have the part number for the GYTR piggy backs for a mountain apex with 15 1/2 CTC?

Sap

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The Holz airchambers are $100 each and have an internal floating piston (IFP) to provide a multi stage spring rate. The pressure in the Holz air chamber is adjusted to control the bottom-out characteristics of the shock; the pressure in the MAIN air chamber is adjusted to change ride height and roll/pitch stiffness of the sled

Yea, the Hygear do sound a bit pricey! (but they do have a speed sensitive valve in them, not just an add on chamber)

The Holz "EVOL" add-ons hug the shock body pretty well

Hhicks, good lead on those chambers... I did'n know they made those!
Those muffinworks chambers look great at $149 and are simply another chamber and not a multi rate IFP setup. There are different characteristics to these two, different, air chambers.

HOLZ add-on "EVOL" type chamber (multi rate) on Floats

Holzonfox.jpg

Muffinworks.com add on chamber
float_kit.JPG

Last edited:
Premium Features