• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What tune for sidewinder

Boosted Brad

Premium Member
Dec 9, 2007
Who has the best reflash for the sidewinder? Willing to do exhaust and intake who has the best one out there?:present:

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I'd check out Hurricane Performance. They have been working tirelessly since last season perfecting their tune. I believe they even have the knock detection figured out too... might want to ask to be sure though.

Dave is great to deal with.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Best...

The best tune? I doubt you'll find anyone with experience on all of them to make a comparison
I,ve had good luck with Evolution Powersports with my M1100T, so my new sled has a stage 4 Evo tune & bullet muffler on it, at least till the Big Chute Turbo kit is released.

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
I second Oneoldfart..lol 2018 MTX EVO stage 4, Bullet exhaust is just friggin fun. Insane you can get the power for a couple grand and just plug and play.
The exhaust can get numbing if you have to ride long to the powder. Been a long time since I had an exhaust in front of me since past sleds were SC Apex's and MCX Nytro. Once you get in deep powder its muffled and not bad.
Originally I was thinking to go with the MCX kit, but research revealed it has a Gems controller. I still have controller nightmares. Went with the EVO and figured for the money if I didn't like it I could return to stock, sell it, and go different route. Well will be keeping it. Its arm pulling, put a smile on ur face all day long fun.

Boosted Brad

Premium Member
Dec 9, 2007
I went with the evaluation stage 4 as well thanks for the imput it runs strong veary happy with it so far

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I second Oneoldfart..lol 2018 MTX EVO stage 4, Bullet exhaust is just friggin fun. Insane you can get the power for a couple grand and just plug and play.
The exhaust can get numbing if you have to ride long to the powder. Been a long time since I had an exhaust in front of me since past sleds were SC Apex's and MCX Nytro. Once you get in deep powder its muffled and not bad.
Originally I was thinking to go with the MCX kit, but research revealed it has a Gems controller. I still have controller nightmares. Went with the EVO and figured for the money if I didn't like it I could return to stock, sell it, and go different route. Well will be keeping it. Its arm pulling, put a smile on ur face all day long fun.

Wait, MCX is using gems??

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
Yes....Their Sidewinder 250 kit has a gems under the hood. If I understand it right. You don't have to mash buttons or change settings, but it is part of the kit. Woulda went MCX for sure if I were going with bigger turbo more boost, they would be my choice hands down...

Last edited:

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
For those mountain guys that are waiting for bigger turbo kits Evo's Big Chute kit uses the stock turbo exhaust side with a bigger compressor. This turbo has the exact same guts as it had on the 1100. Evo has worked with this turbo for 6 years now, obviously very familiar with it's capabilities. I sold 60+ Big Chute kits on the 1100s, performance for the dollar was unmatched. The Stage 5 (bigger injectors, Map sensor, and flash) and the Stage 6 Big Chute kits are currently in final testing...so don't ask if you can buy it yet lol.

I used to run an MCX kit on my old Apex. Steady and reliable. But in this day and age having to use a separate controller is outdated. With Evo's history of elevation tuning and reflashing ecus, with your own programmer box if wanted, I would be hard pressed to go back to a piggyback box. MCX also still adds extra injectors instead of scaling bigger ones like Evo has done for years on sleds and SXS kits. The other things done in the ecu (ie. rev limit increase) are also extras that work well. The 250hp MCX kit is still quite a bit more money even if you add the comparable Evo parts (better stainless exhaust too) to match the MCX kit. With Evo using the stock turbo as a core I would assume the MCX will be more for those kits as well.

Every time I compare MCX I always like to acknowledge that without them, and Randy, in the beginning Yamaha would be nowhere in the mountains.

Niemikorpi

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2014
MCX use gems but no aux injectors on sidewinder.
MCX stage 3 uses BIG intercooler and bigger turbo.

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
does the bigger turbo not have aux injectors like they always have.....

"We have made a lot of tests with the stage 3 Sidewinder turbo. It works fine up to 340 HP at sea level. The engine is stock, so Yamaha has done a good job. The stage 3 kit includes a bigger turbo, for which we use the favorite Mitsubishi 19T. The new intercooler provides 2.6 times more cooling area than stock. There is also 3 extra injectors installed in the plenum."

Premium Features