• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 Mtn Cat Skids

T

Toyotajoe

Dec 12, 2016
NL, Canada
Hey All,

I'll be picking up my '18 MC on Saturday morning. I was chatting with my dealer today and he informed me to bring along a list of accessory part numbers and they'd hook me up on some deals.

I've always ran AC skid plates in the past with decent results. Just wondering what's out there for underbelly protection before I commit to the OEM AC skids.

Thanks in advance...

Buz

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Vancouver, Wa
I usually make my own but with the drop case. I'm installing the OEM. Is there a aftermarket skid that protects the chain case? I think only the pan is offered??

T

Toyotajoe

Dec 12, 2016
NL, Canada
I'm not sure what aftermarket options are out there. It would be nice to see a pic of the 2018+ skid installed as well.

They aren't cheap but is something I've been buying on the last few sleds as my off trail miles tend to increase more and more each year.

bcriderm8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2010
n/c Iowa
Price/part number??

You guys have a part number and a price on the Cat skid? Been looking on big Cat sites and not finding it.

dunatyk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Curious if it will fit a 15 with the mc conversion?

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
It fits good, a bit of a pain, easier if you take the can out or if you had an aftermarket one. I have the Mtn running boards so I needed to do something different for one of the rear mount points. Also instructions say you have to remove it to change the oil, but I just drilled an access hole for the drain plug, and a drain hole as I riveted a couple of spots instead of using screws.

T

Toyotajoe

Dec 12, 2016
NL, Canada
How does it fit?
Was it a pain to install?

I'm also curious to hear how the install went. I installed an OEM skid on my 2017 last year and it took some time. It wasn't a major pain but it did involve some choice words and head scratching to get into place. Hoping that the 2018 is a little better fitting.

FYI, my dealer informed me they are currently on back order until sometime in December.

CRJPilot

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2008
Farmington, MN
18 skid plate fits better than previous years, install is a pain, mainly because the directions suck, they are still using the 2012 directions (written by a 6th grader). Some references to a 2016 model, but nothing for the 2018, also lists instructions for 7000 series 4 stroke, have to pay attention you are reading carefully. Best advice for install is to throw the out dated not applicable directions in the trash...step 1. pull off side panels and hood, remove silencer for extra room to work, take out two center pan screws, briefly re-attach the skid plate to the machine, mark the rivets that need to be drilled out, remove plate, drill out the rivets, re-attach the skid plate, cetering it up so it is even and straight on both side, then drill holes one at a time, and install bolts one at a time.
Good luck! Nice fit once its on!

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
I think the 18 actually fits better than other years but.......Like was mentioned the instructions are worthless. You are better off throwing them away and drilling the holes where you think looks good than where they say. Nearly every location they want you to put one in requires you to drill out a rivet which is usually a pain. Just move your hole over and drill through plastic and its easy. Also the fact that they want you to drill a hole into a void on the tunnel that you cant get the nut onto seems like a slight oversight in my estimation. They want you to drill out rivets in the bulkhead and then put the provided screws back in. Well the rivets are about 10 times as big around as the screws so that doesn't work. It has always bugged me that they make you cut out the furthest forward hole on the running boards or have it be covered up. Why not just make your mold have the hole in it. Save plastic and save us time when installing it. Another major complaint is that it is flat impossible to get a few of the nuts started because the skid plate has a dimple that goes out right where the bolt goes in and its not long enough to get started. If the skid plate didnt dimple out it would be fine. Or if the bolt was just a touch longer it would be nice.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
It has always bugged me that they make you cut out the furthest forward hole on the running boards or have it be covered up.

I have never understood this. I've installed a 14, 16 and 17 mountain cat version, all needed this area cutout.

The 17 mountain cat version's fit and finish is horrible. I ended up adding additional bolts that did not come with the kit and in some cases need to use longer bolts.

CRJPilot

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2008
Farmington, MN
I think the 18 actually fits better than other years but.......Like was mentioned the instructions are worthless. You are better off throwing them away and drilling the holes where you think looks good than where they say. Nearly every location they want you to put one in requires you to drill out a rivet which is usually a pain. Just move your hole over and drill through plastic and its easy. Also the fact that they want you to drill a hole into a void on the tunnel that you cant get the nut onto seems like a slight oversight in my estimation. They want you to drill out rivets in the bulkhead and then put the provided screws back in. Well the rivets are about 10 times as big around as the screws so that doesn't work. It has always bugged me that they make you cut out the furthest forward hole on the running boards or have it be covered up. Why not just make your mold have the hole in it. Save plastic and save us time when installing it. Another major complaint is that it is flat impossible to get a few of the nuts started because the skid plate has a dimple that goes out right where the bolt goes in and its not long enough to get started. If the skid plate didnt dimple out it would be fine. Or if the bolt was just a touch longer it would be nice.

Installed on a 12, 15, 2-16's and an 18MC...direction get worse each year and more ridiculous....obvious that nobody at cat has actually installed one of these...with technology of today, no excuse for improper hardware, poor directions, etc....otherwise once installed, seems to fit nice and offer good protection....just a major pita to install!

CRJPilot

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2008
Farmington, MN
I also did not drill out the hidden rivets along the double wall in the tunnel, just drilled a new hole. How would Arctic Cat expect you to put a bolt in a void where you can't even get a nut...silly! Also on the right side I just cut out the whole back corner.
da716aff320aa8a355b9ef3c76ae45ab.jpg
95edabd6d7c1625ca87d22db186ae1e7.jpg
e9075bca651884fc3e2ed11bfaa0510a.jpg
a80462fee3278692ac3e6ed7d4eef760.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Premium Features