• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ABS vs. Avalung

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
ABS is to help prevent you from getting buried.
Avalung is to help you breath under the snow in case you get buried.

The avalung integrated into the backpack is a great way to go, but if it were me I would rather have the ABS instead.

Last edited:
D
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Personally I think you have a better chance of pulling the handle on the ABS than getting the breathing tube into your mouth in a high stress situation. Reducing the chances of being buried is the place to start in my opinion.

H
Dec 5, 2006
Pendleton, Oregon
I agree, my life is way worth that and yes, its an investment. However, my 99% of the time riding area doesnt require me to have one. I would like one for that 1 day of the year that I might ride somewhere that I should have one on. Also, if I had one, I might ride that kind of terrain 2-3 days a year instead of maybe 1. That $800 will pay for alot of fuel for me to ride were I dont need a abs pack.

On a different note, are abs packs basically the same tech. as those C02 powered life vests? You pull the rip cord and they fill up?

Austin

onepicknick

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I agree, my life is way worth that and yes, its an investment. However, my 99% of the time riding area doesnt require me to have one. I would like one for that 1 day of the year that I might ride somewhere that I should have one on. Also, if I had one, I might ride that kind of terrain 2-3 days a year instead of maybe 1. That $800 will pay for alot of fuel for me to ride were I dont need a abs pack.

On a different note, are abs packs basically the same tech. as those C02 powered life vests? You pull the rip cord and they fill up?

Austin

Austin you might of hit something there last year these packs were 600.00 but we couldn't get them here in the states this year there a grande.
The guys I ride with I had to supply with becons I'm the only one with a probe so if i get burried I'll be SOL anyway.

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Me Too

I'm in the same boat Harv. The price of an ABS pack would finance my gas budget for the year. I don't ride in area's where you can stay on the pin up big pulls. I don't even ride next to those areas. Where we ride it's close, tree'd and while we have rolling hills, there aren't any big areas.

I am enrolled in an avy class on 01/05. I'm going to listen very carefully, because I'm wanting to start traveling and riding new areas. If I'm wrong, I'll go shopping.

But I'll be honest, I'm not into himarking. I think Ollie said it best "if you see me climbing something, I just couldn't figure out a way around".

I don't understand why anyone would hear the avy report and still hit a dangerous slope. Especially one that is known to slide and has caused deaths in the past.

I don't climb and I listen to the report and plan accordingly. I'm not saying people shouldn't climb either, don't go there. Ride where and what you want to, I do.

Yeah, I know, Rainer could erupt and send a sheet of mud and ice heading my way and where would I be then? But I'm thinking I stand a better chance of being killed by someone that thinks driving 75 + miles an hour with thier 27 foot trailer behind them is a G*d D*mn right instead of rash and foolish.

So, in the big picture, I prepare, maintain my sleds and ride safe.

Here's hoping that everyone else out there does too. We've already lost too many good people to bad things.

Bagger

S
Nov 26, 2007
oregon city or
i was reading this and been thinking about beacons and different satety equipment that everyone talks about so i was looking around and found a on line place to get these items i was surprised at the cost they didnt seem to be as bad as i have hurd ...
this is the site if interested....
http://www.avalanchetools.com/

it might be that this is where some of you buy your equipment they seem to be more reasonable then what i have seen at local stores that sell the same thing.......

S
Dec 3, 2007
Cle Elum, Wa
Probe, shovel and beacon are a absolute, unfortuantley I am still trying to convince the rest of my riding buddies on that. I hope it doesn't take a slide to convince them of that.

Me I'd probaly have to go with the avalung for now, that is what i could afford. My life is worth the price of a abs, but I barely can afford sledding as it is. I just can't justify a abs right now.

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
Yeah, I know, Rainer could erupt and send a sheet of mud and ice heading my way and where would I be then? Bagger

us folks in Eastern Washington pray for this to happen everyday... then the state would go back to a red state.. .actually, if just King County would go away....

R
Dec 5, 2007
www.snowandmud.com
I purchased an ABS bag at the Edmonton Snowmobile show from Rocky Mountain Extreme, they are great to deal with and I would not hesitate to refer anyone to them. This is the best investment you can make, at least if this happens to you you have a chance. For those that think that will never happen to me, you can be wrong, look at all the avy's that hit on hills where you never expected it, and people were killed. I bought the 30L bag, its a perfect size, the price of this being just over a thousand dollars.

RON

Hotchief

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2005
Normandy Park, WA
I bought a Klim Escape 15.
I test fired it in the living room in front of my wife & kids.

They loved it & it was the first accessory in sledding, drag racing, boat racing & salt water fishing I have bought that my wife didn't hassle me over.

get one...

R

richyrich

Nov 26, 2007
Mt Baker
Im all about safety and it was said earlier, with the ABS you rely on yourself to stay on top of the slide. Not your buddies or witnesses to dig you out in the golden 18minute window. Dont get me wrong, I also wear a Becon, the ABS pack will not replace it. Im a single dad of two boys and Im going to do everything possible to enjoy my sport, but also making sure I come home every day.

M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
As Zacs Tracs mentioned when I took my AST1 class,

They believe that an ABS is good for your chances to recover from burial, but it also puts you face down on the snow, leaving you prone to a chewed up head from rocks..., guess the helmet would save that a bit...

They also mentioned something that was very valid. It's probably just as important, if not more, to invest in good clothing to survive a night in the backcountry... which is probably more likely to happen to everyone,,, I know there were a few nights I thought I was going to.

I realized that knowledge is still the best defense to Avalanches. I am fortunate to not have learned it the hard way. Take a course.

A

AkHockey10

Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage, Ak
alrighty, first of all good thread! lotsa interesting comments and first hand witnesses of the two. secondly, what the website linky for the Avalung or whatever? thirdly, maybe, i could find it..but, how bid are the packs? (both), are they heavy, or are they just like any riding pack?

Premium Features