• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ES vs non ES Mountain Cat weight?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
There's going to be 9lb in the fuel tank alone. Plus heavier seat, battery, wiring, and starter. 30lb is my guess if it uses a regular lead battery.

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
Thanks boondocker97, I wasn't sure what the weight difference is. I do have a lithium battery from a previous sled that saves about 10 pounds, so 20 pounds or so wouldn't be to bad.

I had an opportunity to sit on both the ES and non ES at the snow show and the longer ES seat felt more comfortable to me. While I stand or ride with one knee on the seat through out the day, it's nice to be able to sit on the way back to the truck at the end of the day when the trails are all hacked up.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Thanks boondocker97, I wasn't sure what the weight difference is. I do have a lithium battery from a previous sled that saves about 10 pounds, so 20 pounds or so wouldn't be to bad.

I had an opportunity to sit on both the ES and non ES at the snow show and the longer ES seat felt more comfortable to me. While I stand or ride with one knee on the seat through out the day, it's nice to be able to sit on the way back to the truck at the end of the day when the trails are all hacked up.

Rarely and I mean rarely when riding do I notice the short seat, except for really long rides around west Yellowstone , I would never buy a ES just for a longer seat and 10lbs weight savings for a battery? more like 5, put them on a scale

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Rarely and I mean rarely when riding do I notice the short seat, except for really long rides around west Yellowstone , I would never buy a ES just for a longer seat and 10lbs weight savings for a battery? more like 5, put them on a scale

10lbs weight savings is very possible. 11-12 lbs weight savings on the Viper by going with a lithium battery. Not sure what they use in the new cats but I doubt its much different.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Must be a huge battery then because I changed out my 1200 cc street bike battery to a tiny lithium battery and I doubt I saved 10 pounds, did several dirt bikes too, again didn't save 10 pounds, but I suppose Cat put a car battery in them the same as the RX Ton or something lol

no first hand experience with Cat battery so I could be wrong, no worries

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.

Actually for what it's worth I have weighed them. On a digital postal scale the battery in my old XF7000 was 9.5 pounds heavier then the Shoria lithium.
For reference the XF7000 battery is part # 0745-406 which is the same part number used the Mountain Cat ES.

Mr. BB

Premium Member
Sep 7, 2009
weight difference

The original ? was," anybody know the weight difference between ES and Non ES MC 2018?" Curious myself ,but so far guesses. Actual weight would be nice. I have a 2018 ES and consider the ES as a vital part of sled, won't have another one without. But still curious as to actual additional weight but not a must know.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I would buy the non estart and then add it if you want to save weight. I myself like the shorter seat better, way easier to jump from side to side. It's easy, at least on the 16 and older, to put the battery behind the can. If you go with a after market can you'd have plenty of room I'm sure and with a lithium battery and can you'd probably weigh almost the same as a stock non-es.

Attachments

• 14 e start.jpg
    14 e start.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
Actual weight

The original ? was," anybody know the weight difference between ES and Non ES MC 2018?" Curious myself ,but so far guesses. Actual weight would be nice. I have a 2018 ES and consider the ES as a vital part of sled, won't have another one without. But still curious as to actual additional weight but not a must know.

153" ES, fuel and oil filled to the very top, tool kit and spare belt. (full wet ready to ride and fuel tank holds 11.7 gallons)
The weight shown is with a lithium battery (-10lbs from stock) also subtract 3lbs from the weight shown for the weight of the straps.

Attachments

• IMG_3222.jpg
    IMG_3222.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Mountain Cat ES full of fuel, oil, spare belt, tool kit.jpg
    Mountain Cat ES full of fuel, oil, spare belt, tool kit.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I would buy the non estart and then add it if you want to save weight. I myself like the shorter seat better, way easier to jump from side to side. It's easy, at least on the 16 and older, to put the battery behind the can. If you go with a after market can you'd have plenty of room I'm sure and with a lithium battery and can you'd probably weigh almost the same as a stock non-es.
Delete oil injection? Ur battery is where ur oil tank should be?

Mountain Cat

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
The shot that Doo has is sweet....I would be surprised if Poo and Cat don't have something like it on the works.

Ace

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I wanted e-start but not the heavy seat and heavy/smaller tank combo. So I got non-e-start and added the starter, clutch ring gear and Li battery relocated to under hood.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
I wanted e-start but not the heavy seat and heavy/smaller tank combo. So I got non-e-start and added the starter, clutch ring gear and Li battery relocated to under hood.

Can you guys post up some more battery relocate pics

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
Super caps!!

We did a lot of testing last year with Ucaps. But finally got the full set up installed.
The set up is put on a factory Estart 2013 Doo Summit X with pull start.
So far it works just like the "shot" system in the new Doo's
the weigh savings for our particular set us is 13.5 lbs
The U cap needs the sled to run for about 2-3 minutes and its fully charged. From our tests last year our set up held charge for about 3 days to start the sled.
So you could theoretically use lower storage capacity Ucaps to save a little weight and reduce the time. But for the sake of "grams" I think were good.

cheers

Allan

Attachments

• IMG_0690.JPG
    IMG_0690.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0688.JPG
    IMG_0688.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0691.JPG
    IMG_0691.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0696.jpg
    IMG_0696.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0694.JPG
    IMG_0694.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0695.JPG
    IMG_0695.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 26

mja

Lifetime Membership
May 18, 2011
Very interesting Barcode! That's some cool inventing.

Premium Features