• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ABS pack vs Avalung

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
i dont see how your going to get the mouthpc in while wearing a helmet , while falling off your machine , panicing , filling your pants etc. sj

O
Dec 6, 2007
Thats my problem with the avylung too, great idea but unless you ride the hill with the mouthpiece in, I don't see you having time to after the fact.

I also like the idea of preventing a burial with the airbag, instead of accepting a burial and trying to breathe under the snow. No garuntees on either saving your butt, I just prefer the ABS.

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
ABS is to help prevent you from getting buried.
Avalung is to help you breath under the snow in case you get buried.

The avalung integrated into the backpack is a great way to go, but if it were me I would rather have the ABS instead.

B

buck50

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Cochrane, Alberta
the ABS is by far the better choice, as it helps to keep you on top, thus no need to breathe under the snow. having said that, i have a couple of riding buddies that have the avalung, and they used them quite a bit, at first. the prblem is like others have said, you will never get into your mouth when the avy happens while wearing a helmet. so, your only choice is to wear it while making your runs. like i said, my buddies did this for a while, then it got to the point that they were wearing them, but not putting them in, and now, they don't even bother with them at all. i think they are better for skiers,snowshoers, hikers, etc, guys with no helmets or at least no bqr covering their face. just my$.03

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
What activates the ABS? Pretty slim chance you would be able to pull a ripcord and hooking it up like a tether would not work either. I have not seen one and can't figure how it would actually work.

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
Theres a T-handle that you locate where its easy for you to reach. When pulled, it sets off a charge which punctures the co2 cannister and inflates the airbags.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Layton Utah
ABS would be my choice.

I do not have one because they are so expensive but the concept makes perfect sense and I would much rather be on top of the snow using my own lung than buried counting on an avalung.

O
Dec 6, 2007
What activates the ABS? Pretty slim chance you would be able to pull a ripcord and hooking it up like a tether would not work either. I have not seen one and can't figure how it would actually work.

I dunno, I spend a LOT of time in the back country, in serious avalanche terrain. We have set off numerous smaller slides and I have complete confidence that I could "pull the handle" in plenty of time.

It is a little like riding up the slope with the avylung mounthpiece in, I undo the saftey strap that keeps the bag from accidentally deploying, and I know exactly where the little handle is. You let the sled go and save yourself!

Lifetime Membership
Apr 27, 2002
Spooner, WI 54801
www.4seasons.com
I just got myself into a freeride pack and when I blew it up a friend made a really good point that I didn't think of. If by chance you deploy and still get buried you have the air bags that slowly release the air with in 3 minutes. so you would have more space around your body for air and movement. Just something that I thought was a good thought.

KJP

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I just got myself into a freeride pack and when I blew it up a friend made a really good point that I didn't think of. If by chance you deploy and still get buried you have the air bags that slowly release the air with in 3 minutes. so you would have more space around your body for air and movement. Just something that I thought was a good thought.

KJP

The ABS bags have to be manually deflated by pushing the release button.

zacs

Lifetime Membership
Four of our avalanche students in the last few weeks have the Avalung.

One brought his backpack to the class. Just breathing through it standing still you could hear it...this must mean that there is a certain amount of restriction. For those that ride with the snorkle in your mouth during the climb...do you feel that you are getting enough air? I am guessing that a person that was working a climb would want to spit out the mouth piece to really breath properly. Whaddya think?

They all felt that there were better things to spend their money on.

The avy lung is better suited to backcountry travelers without helmets.

All avy tools add a layer of safety. No one tool is the ticket. The best tool is the one sitting on your shoulders. Invest a little into this tool and it may reduce the need to have to pull the T handle...is it a $100 avalanche?! Should I pull the bag?! Funny, but true. Add up the cylinder cost, shipping and your time and you're around $100 to reload the bag. A couple of accidental releases and you have paid for your avy class.

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
...is it a $100 avalanche?! Should I pull the bag?! Funny, but true. Add up the cylinder cost, shipping and your time and you're around $100 to reload the bag.

That is the reason that we offer a free canister to those who use the airbag in an avalanche (if you bought your airbag from us). We don't want you to have to wonder if it is worth the money to pull the handle. If you're in an avy and have an airbag, pull the handle! and we'll get your airbag back up and running for free. (PM me for more details)

However, I still agree with zacs 100%........take an Avy class!

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
If by chance you deploy and still get buried you have the air bags that slowly release the air with in 3 minutes.

hmm, interesting thought jsut crossed my mind. That's not air in the bags, it's nitrogen. While n2 isn't toxic, it's not oxygen either.... I don't see that having it would help you in a burial situation other than making a rescue/recovery easier.

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
hmm, interesting thought jsut crossed my mind. That's not air in the bags, it's nitrogen. While n2 isn't toxic, it's not oxygen either.... I don't see that having it would help you in a burial situation other than making a rescue/recovery easier.
Bingo!

Premium Features