• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

polaris 800 Big Bore Questions

M
Dec 10, 2007
Western Wisconsin
I'm jsut wondering what the HP numbers are on carls 910 bore kit and whats the deal with hot seats 925 kit. asking because I plan on buying an 800 pro x of some type weather it be an X,X2 or, XR i don't know. I plan on buliding a fast ditch banger/trail/lake sled.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
I built a 925 HS motor, it was junk! Had a buddy build another one, it was junk! The carls 910 is the way to go. As for HP Carls doesnt claim numbers on their motors they just build them to run on the mountains, most will say that they are lower on the dyno but the power is more useable and works better on the hill.

As for the prox, they are the only way to go IMO!

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
210 hp out of a 910 i highly doubt it more like around 180 but boy what a fun power it is. Instant throttle any where.You would love it.

H
Nov 28, 2007
910 Question

I spent a weekend on my buddies 910 and it flat out works. The power is right at your finger. If you have the money and you like the edge chassie I wouldn't hesitate. Plus the guys at carls are really good to deal with.

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
Hot seat's big bores tend to be really peaky and tough to clutch and tune/worthless in the mtns. Go with a Carls kit if you want to ride it and not tune it all day. for the ditch banging and lake running make sure when you talk to Carls to tell them what and where you plan to run it. They will hook you up right. I would say somewhere about the 180hp mark would be about right for that motor.

Remember that HS is dyno'ing their motors @ about 1200ft in MN so there's a big difference from that to the about 6000' that Carls is located at. A "peaky" motor can make some impressive numbers on a dyno when you can make conditions perfect, but it's hard to make run perfectly day in and day out. (see PSI)

One other thing that I have learned is that Pipes are best designed for the elevation that they are to be used in, just another consideration. Along with that I have found that with elevation you can get by with a little more "aggressiveness" in setup, porting, and pipes. At low elevation mild porting, big displacement, and SINGLE PIPE is a good rule of thumb for big useable HP.

Just my .02

Last edited:
A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I've been watching the 910 versus other Polaris big bore's for a few years now. They may run well at the 8,000' level, but from what I've seen at 9,000 to 11,000 range you might want a test ride before you commit.

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
well hes building a lake racer/ditch banger. so unless hes riding lakes at 11k feet, hell be fine im sure. probly a lot faster than what your buddies will be riding i assume?

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
Triples are pretty tough on the top end just cause of the R's they can pull. but If you want speed that motor will make enough torque to throw some more gear at it to get the top end. Personally I would stay around the stock gearing and you should be able to smoke him up to about 90 or so, then he might start reeling you in. but it will be close.

R
Nov 26, 2007
I've been watching the 910 versus other Polaris big bore's for a few years now. They may run well at the 8,000' level, but from what I've seen at 9,000 to 11,000 range you might want a test ride before you commit.

that seems strange, I have seen many above 9000ft and they all ran very well.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I've rode with several the last few years and everyone I've rode with (several) drive to elevation, open the hood and start tuning. They seem to be a little finicky to me. In all fairness to the 910 most people who pass through and ride 10,000' in eastern nevada end up being clutched a couple grams heavy, a couple degrees to steep, and a couple jet sizes fat.

Premium Features