• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

c.o. snow conditions

F
Dec 17, 2007
Bend, Oregon
I rode from Bachelor (Dutchman Flats snow park) almost all the way to Cultus Lake yesterday. We ran out of snow about one mile from Cultus. It snowed about 5" last night above 4,500 feet and is still snowing pretty heavy. The forecast for this week looks great - snow every day. The trail up to Moon Mt. is beat to hell and there still is not really enough snow up there to ride safely. We need another 18 - 24 inches to go off trail without worrying about stumps and boulders.

P
Nov 26, 2007
Renton, Wa
I too rode from Dutchman yesterday. Frank is right, need couple more feet. This is the week to get it. Is Dutchman snowpark a joke or what? When we gonna get a new park? I was there @ 7:00 am and back by noon. Hard to get out of there. Things getting dangerous. Too many Subaru's. Time for the State to step up and get us another snowpark. Very Frustrating.

F
Dec 17, 2007
Bend, Oregon
Yeah, Dutchman snow park always has been a joke. They are going to build a new snow park on the corner of Century Drive and the road to Sun River. I hear that once that is complete, trailers will not be allowed at Dutchman. I don't understand why they just don't plow out a huge spot right there at Dutchman where the Cascade Lakes Hwy starts (like it is now, but maintain it throughout the winter).

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
the pissed off skiers at dutchman can f-off or go park at bach.or maybe they should just stay home where selfish cry babies belong.

Last edited:
M

mtn_rider08

Dec 17, 2007
Prineville, OR
the pissed off skiers at dutchman can f-off or go park at bach.or maybe they should just stay home where selfish cry babies belong.

exactly, mt bachelor has a huge parking lot that they can park in along with trail thats only they can be on and also i think they have a trail that goes from bachelor parking lot to dutchmans flat.

also, what i think can be done is you unload your sleds at dutchman, drive the truck and trailer into the bachelor lot and hitch hike back to dutchman.

A

ASRVM

Nov 27, 2007
Bend, Oregon
Yeah, Dutchman snow park always has been a joke. They are going to build a new snow park on the corner of Century Drive and the road to Sun River. I hear that once that is complete, trailers will not be allowed at Dutchman. I don't understand why they just don't plow out a huge spot right there at Dutchman where the Cascade Lakes Hwy starts (like it is now, but maintain it throughout the winter).

The Forest Circus cannot accept such a simple and low cost solution to the parking problem at Dutchman Flat. Instead, let's do a traffic study, wildlife study, economic impact study, human impact study, azzhole inspection, etc.... Instead, lets fund a sledding area (non motorized) at Wanoga snopark, and put snowmobiles and kids on sleds and tubes in the same area.
I can see the headlines now, "Child run over by snowmobile in sleding parking lot". Sorry for the rant, sometimes I just don't get IT.
On a happy note, it's snowing like a mutherfu............................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

24drnkz

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bend, OR
LMAO!! Unfortunitly we (us sledders) will never regain power out of Dutchman:( Between the forest service and the greenies they both have made such a stink that we are going to lose ALL privedges once our new snowpark at the sunriver jct. is complete.
It just blows me away that it is our groomer that plows out the lot and the road to elk and through dutchman and to Todd lake and on and on and they still need to try and take our areas away. Next time some stupid hippie parks his oil leaking Subaru like a duche bag I'd like to hook up a chain and drag the thing into the middle of century dr..........................................:mad:

D

dragonrmk

Nov 26, 2007
Redmond, OR
Bachelor report

7" Monday. 10" over night another 2" since 5am and still snowing. Heading up in an hour to ride, should be good.

F
Dec 17, 2007
Bend, Oregon
The Forest Circus cannot accept such a simple and low cost solution to the parking problem at Dutchman Flat. Instead, let's do a traffic study, wildlife study, economic impact study, human impact study, azzhole inspection, etc.... Instead, lets fund a sledding area (non motorized) at Wanoga snopark, and put snowmobiles and kids on sleds and tubes in the same area.
I can see the headlines now, "Child run over by snowmobile in sleding parking lot". Sorry for the rant, sometimes I just don't get IT.
On a happy note, it's snowing like a mutherfu............................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

You are right. Now Wanoga will be filled up with Subaru's and mini-van's chock full of idiots. At least it is finally snowing - this is the worst start we have had in years.

Has anyone been up to Paulina? I'm pretty sure there hasn't been enough snow up there. I am thinking about going there on Saturday.

D
Sep 19, 2005
Don't give up on this one guy's...Get involved. You cannot let the greenies get the highest snow park in the state all to themselves. Walt Schloer retired and his replacement was supposed to be the director from the Chemult district, very sled friendly. That high dollar snow park at the Sunriver cutoff will have no better snow conditions early or late than Wanoga and then your going to run into issues about riding on the dirt to get to the snow. About the time you are ready to stick a shovel in the ground, Dale Neubauer and his gang will oppose and delay it. Fight it!!!!
The Forest Service has not done a study to support any of the aledged reasons for closing it to sledders other than complaints which are taken at face value. They don't operate like the Bend police department. The forest service doesn't have to see truth or lie. Dale Neubauer put on a class in Boise on how to write such complaints and win.....A real peach this guy is, and he used to ride a custom chopper. Ironic, eeehhh....
The most cost affective thing to do to support some growth is to add on to Dutchman. Extend it east, parallel with the road. Create a kidney shape design linking the two and make the western one exclusive for cars and the new one for trailers. Just move lava rock. No additional bathroom or warming hut which will be needed down below.
The second thing to do is to avoid that lot after the banks get up to over 6 feet, don't groom into the parking lot and don't groom the trail past the bathroom. Get on the snow club to stop grooming that area. It'll work for a while, untill the state catches on. Watch em' scream after it snow's because they can't access it. Don't let this one go quietly. They have access from every snow park on Century drive and Mt Bachelor, do you????

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
Don't give up on this one guy's...Get involved. You cannot let the greenies get the highest snow park in the state all to themselves. Walt Schloer retired and his replacement was supposed to be the director from the Chemult district, very sled friendly. That high dollar snow park at the Sunriver cutoff will have no better snow conditions early or late than Wanoga and then your going to run into issues about riding on the dirt to get to the snow. About the time you are ready to stick a shovel in the ground, Dale Neubauer and his gang will oppose and delay it. Fight it!!!!
The Forest Service has not done a study to support any of the aledged reasons for closing it to sledders other than complaints which are taken at face value. They don't operate like the Bend police department. The forest service doesn't have to see truth or lie. Dale Neubauer put on a class in Boise on how to write such complaints and win.....A real peach this guy is, and he used to ride a custom chopper. Ironic, eeehhh....
The most cost affective thing to do to support some growth is to add on to Dutchman. Extend it east, parallel with the road. Create a kidney shape design linking the two and make the western one exclusive for cars and the new one for trailers. Just move lava rock. No additional bathroom or warming hut which will be needed down below.
The second thing to do is to avoid that lot after the banks get up to over 6 feet, don't groom into the parking lot and don't groom the trail past the bathroom. Get on the snow club to stop grooming that area. It'll work for a while, untill the state catches on. Watch em' scream after it snow's because they can't access it. Don't let this one go quietly. They have access from every snow park on Century drive and Mt Bachelor, do you????

thats what i was trying to say:)
thanks.

P
Nov 26, 2007
Renton, Wa

Exactly. Contact your local clubs, congressmen, senators, and every other local elected official you can think of and be heard. Think Powdr Corp would be on our side if we decided to have a friendly protest and have our trucks and trailers break down on the road up? Join a club and get involved in this cause its not getting any better.

M

mtn_rider08

Dec 17, 2007
Prineville, OR
the simplest solution would be for mt. bachelor to allow trailer parking and make a trail from the parking lot to the other trails. They could have a special area for trailers to park. Also, this would increase there business at the west village lodge. Or the could allow parking at sunrise lodge and groom a trail from the one that already goes to sunrise lodge to the trail just across the highway.

24drnkz

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bend, OR
the simplest solution would be for mt. bachelor to allow trailer parking and make a trail from the parking lot to the other trails. They could have a special area for trailers to park. Also, this would increase there business at the west village lodge. Or the could allow parking at sunrise lodge and groom a trail from the one that already goes to sunrise lodge to the trail just across the highway.

LMFAO!!!:rolleyes: You think Bachelor would even think of that........nope!! They are sooooo worried about the parking spaces our trucks and trailers will take up they have totally missed the fact that us sledders would be happy to spend cash in their lodges.The fact is, sledders may spend more cash in the lodge or bar than your average ski/snowboard bum with a season pass. Corp. BS.....Good luck getting Bachelor to even look at any options.

O

Oregongirl

Jul 25, 2002
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
LMFAO!!!:rolleyes: You think Bachelor would even think of that........nope!! They are sooooo worried about the parking spaces our trucks and trailers will take up they have totally missed the fact that us sledders would be happy to spend cash in their lodges.The fact is, sledders may spend more cash in the lodge or bar than your average ski/snowboard bum with a season pass. Corp. BS.....Good luck getting Bachelor to even look at any options.

One day a group of us....I think there were six of us in total. We rode up to the main lodge, parked the sleds and wandered in the bar for a cold beverage. The beverage was not as cold as the reception we recieved! While we were waiting very patiently at the bar, some one told us - in his most disgusted voice - that, "you guys stink!". The looks from the other bar patrons were just as negative. You'd think we were covered in oozing boils or something. That was the last time we visited a ski resort bar on sleds.

Premium Features