• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

18 High country ltd VS Mountain cat

E
Aug 20, 2011
Soo/Menominee MI
Ok so im a hot mess of indecision right now something fierce. The polaris sks 146 i want so bad, but after making a trip over to the axys forum i kinda got scared away from them. I currently own a 15 high country. Right now im torn between two sleds that neither is really what i want in a sled, the high country limited and the mountain cat. The high country comes with big coolers, low elevation clutching(I might make on trip a year out west, but currently considering moving out there), and the 2.25 power claw. Where as the mountain cat comes with the 3.0pc, Short(only front cooler?), and high elevation clutching. Im really after a mcat with a large enough cooler to ride trails for a day or two, and a track thats not just gonna destroy slides.

As of now i live in the upper peninsula of michigan, and ride probably a true 50/50 on trail off trail with days of one or the other. My biggest concern is that i will absolutely destroy the 3.0 pc and it be too big of a lug for the snow we get. My other problem, is that in a quest to save weight these sleds now have like zero cooler and i dont want to overheat my slides/engine.

Or i could compromise on the 141 high country ltd, i just dont care for the telescoping post and wide ski stance.

Thoughts?

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
Ok so im a hot mess of indecision right now something fierce. The polaris sks 146 i want so bad, but after making a trip over to the axys forum i kinda got scared away from them. I currently own a 15 high country. Right now im torn between two sleds that neither is really what i want in a sled, the high country limited and the mountain cat. The high country comes with big coolers, low elevation clutching(I might make on trip a year out west, but currently considering moving out there), and the 2.25 power claw. Where as the mountain cat comes with the 3.0pc, Short(only front cooler?), and high elevation clutching. Im really after a mcat with a large enough cooler to ride trails for a day or two, and a track thats not just gonna destroy slides.

As of now i live in the upper peninsula of michigan, and ride probably a true 50/50 on trail off trail with days of one or the other. My biggest concern is that i will absolutely destroy the 3.0 pc and it be too big of a lug for the snow we get. My other problem, is that in a quest to save weight these sleds now have like zero cooler and i dont want to overheat my slides/engine.

Or i could compromise on the 141 high country ltd, i just dont care for the telescoping post and wide ski stance.

Thoughts?

High Country will still be a lot of fun, and most practical for your riding ratio of trail/off trail. I have the 18 M8000 and 2010 M8, I'll take the 10 out this weekend but I really watch the conditions more with that 3in paddle on the 18. I think you'll really like the 18, better cooler for the trails, still a good track, and an awesome power plant.

fudge313

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2015
Finland
I have the same problem. Like my m8000 2015 and it is good sled for many things not only powder riding.. But these new ones are too much of deep snow.. Maybe have to buy xf high country next..

C
Mar 9, 2017
I'm in the same boat as the OP for riding style, but I'm really interested in the new MC because of the longer track and narrow stance. I was thinking maybe get the MC and just swap the 3" lug track for a 2.25 or a 2.5" ?

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Decisions

The new mountain sleds (all brands) are very user specific. My 2016 ltd is not made for trail riding it is very rare when I don't use scratchers on the trail. The new mountain sleds are just that mountain sleds. 3 inch tracks need snow not groomed trails, you would be better off with the 2.6 but still not a trail track. Depending on conditions you most likely would still require scratchers down for cooling. It is a tough decision but one only you can make. Good luck and safe riding.

A

anziconda

Dec 10, 2007
I've got a 2.6 claw + cash I'll trade someone if they don't want their 3" 153!

E
Aug 20, 2011
Soo/Menominee MI
The new mountain sleds (all brands) are very user specific. My 2016 ltd is not made for trail riding it is very rare when I don't use scratchers on the trail. The new mountain sleds are just that mountain sleds. 3 inch tracks need snow not groomed trails, you would be better off with the 2.6 but still not a trail track. Depending on conditions you most likely would still require scratchers down for cooling. It is a tough decision but one only you can make. Good luck and safe riding.

I run scratchers now even with my high country and the 2.25 power claw, and because of that 2700 miles later i still have like 75% of my slides and have never overheated. My biggest concern would be cooling, for those times when i do ride trails. If the small cooler setup on the m could handle trails with scratchers without any issues, that would be my biggest concern.

marvelous

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2012
Dent mn
crossover vs. mountain

This is an easy decision, get a crossover sled or the trails, and a mountain sled for the mountains.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
If you want an Mc but are worried about the 3", why not just get a snopro with the 2.6"?

The small cooler actually does pretty good with scratchers down, my sled was staying cooler than the axys's's's this morning on frozen spring snow. That's the only time I've actually had heating issues with my 2.6" and short cooler, frozen spring time concrete

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Snow

I am not familiar with MI snow, only MT snow, so my comments may be a bit off. In general our snow is probably lighter & drier. I own 3 AC's & ride each for varying snow conditions, but my experiences may give some insight. A '17 MC 8000 153X 3" PC, 36.5" front (single cooler)--- Dedicated deep powder sled; unless it's powder (not set up snow) & 3 ft plus or 2 ft plus base, it stays in the trailer; Not fun to ride unless it's deep. A '10 M8 153X 2.6 PC, 39" front (2 coolers) older chassis, but still a great ride, more predictable & meets more snow conditions. A '11 Crosfire 800 141x2.25 PC, 43" front with sway bar (2 coolers). My go to sled in early low snow or late set up snow; it handles the bumps & steers thru about anything, even had it in 3 ft of powder! Older chassis but similar to the High Country. IMHO, You need 2 coolers unless it's always powder where you ride & it's not, even here in Montana. You can swap out the telescopic steering post for a fixed one if you want; I happen to like it, you do not notice the play when riding the sled. Also there is several aftermarket narrow front end kits available if you want such. I ride a front-end from 43", 39", to 36.5" and all are fun & manageable in the right conditions. Cat for '17 made a High Country 8000 in a 153x2.25, 40.5 front & a Sno-pro M8000 in a 141x2.6, 36.5 front, but single cooler; pick your poison wisely!:juggle:

E
Aug 20, 2011
Soo/Menominee MI
If you want an Mc but are worried about the 3", why not just get a snopro with the 2.6"?

The small cooler actually does pretty good with scratchers down, my sled was staying cooler than the axys's's's this morning on frozen spring snow. That's the only time I've actually had heating issues with my 2.6" and short cooler, frozen spring time concrete
My biggest thing is i want the extra features of the mountain cat, ie:Led headlights and qs3 shocks. Unless cat offers a good price on the led headlight off the shelf.
I am not familiar with MI snow, only MT snow, so my comments may be a bit off. In general our snow is probably lighter & drier. I own 3 AC's & ride each for varying snow conditions, but my experiences may give some insight. A '17 MC 8000 153X 3" PC, 36.5" front (single cooler)--- Dedicated deep powder sled; unless it's powder (not set up snow) & 3 ft plus or 2 ft plus base, it stays in the trailer; Not fun to ride unless it's deep. A '10 M8 153X 2.6 PC, 39" front (2 coolers) older chassis, but still a great ride, more predictable & meets more snow conditions. A '11 Crosfire 800 141x2.25 PC, 43" front with sway bar (2 coolers). My go to sled in early low snow or late set up snow; it handles the bumps & steers thru about anything, even had it in 3 ft of powder! Older chassis but similar to the High Country. IMHO, You need 2 coolers unless it's always powder where you ride & it's not, even here in Montana. You can swap out the telescopic steering post for a fixed one if you want; I happen to like it, you do not notice the play when riding the sled. Also there is several aftermarket narrow front end kits available if you want such. I ride a front-end from 43", 39", to 36.5" and all are fun & manageable in the right conditions. Cat for '17 made a High Country 8000 in a 153x2.25, 40.5 front & a Sno-pro M8000 in a 141x2.6, 36.5 front, but single cooler; pick your poison wisely!:juggle:

It may ultimately come down to going with another high country, and the fact that im trying to find a sled that will do everything i ask it to. Which honestly my current high country has done a pretty decent job of, even out west. I guess My biggest gripe about my high country is it struggles to hold a sidehill, Which I suppose being able to go to the 38.5 wide would help more still over my current front end. The other thing that i was dissapointed in was its ability to float on those deeper days. I guess ill seriously have to sit down and consider the high country ltd in 141/153.

Mar 7, 2017
West Bend, WI
My biggest thing is i want the extra features of the mountain cat, ie:Led headlights and qs3 shocks. Unless cat offers a good price on the led headlight off the shelf.

It may ultimately come down to going with another high country, and the fact that im trying to find a sled that will do everything i ask it to. Which honestly my current high country has done a pretty decent job of, even out west. I guess My biggest gripe about my high country is it struggles to hold a sidehill, Which I suppose being able to go to the 38.5 wide would help more still over my current front end. The other thing that i was dissapointed in was its ability to float on those deeper days. I guess ill seriously have to sit down and consider the high country ltd in 141/153.

I would definitely go with another high country if I were you. Seeing as how you currently have a 15, the 16 high Country front is already an upgrade with the newer spindle design. (Will hold a better side hill than your current front)

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.

571fce5040b853763f7005ba563e93f9.jpg

Go Hawks!

E
Aug 20, 2011
Soo/Menominee MI
Upon doing some more looking the high country in either the 153/141 trim in the limited will probably be the way to go for me. I ride pretty aggressively so i dont know how the ifp shocks would hold up to that since there is no sno pro package any more.

After i finished posting i did go look up the headlight, nice to see it is available. But seeing as cat has so limited/weird model lineup for this year it would have been nice if that was the standard. Unless the halogen doesnt suck as much on the 2017+ setup.

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
That HC doesn't have the drop and roll chaincase! That would be a no go for me. Makes no sense why they wouldn't put it in there! Ride in Michigan also and the easier to lay over the better. It will still struggle to hold that sidehill without the drop and roll chain case, imo.

Last edited:

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
The LED headlight is $604.95 in the Canadian accessory catalogue.
Kinda expensive.

The HC not having the drop and roll MC chain case would be a no go for me also.
I did the MC drop and roll to my 2016 and it made a big difference!
So my next sled will have to have that option.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
High Country will still be a lot of fun, and most practical for your riding ratio of trail/off trail. I have the 18 M8000 and 2010 M8, I'll take the 10 out this weekend but I really watch the conditions more with that 3in paddle on the 18. I think you'll really like the 18, better cooler for the trails, still a good track, and an awesome power plant.

18 has a new cooler?

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
people sayin the 2.6 works good in powder with the extra fingers cut off make me wonder about this: a snopro with 2.6, finger cut mod, 9 tooth standard drivers (the old school kind not anti ratchet). track would run a hair tighter but spin smoother, gearing essentially raised, faster sled, lower AOA.....idk just a thought, for a more "do all" mountain sled that still gets in in the powder.

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
18 has a new cooler?

Nope, just comparing the full length cooler on XF versus the short cooler on the M's

The best of both worlds is owning and M and a Trail sled, an XF gives up some off trail capability to satisfy the consumers need for a more Trail friendly sled. I went through this before as well, thinking about it until my head was spinning, you just have to be honest with yourself on the type of riding you will be doing and find a sled that fits that criteria along with your budget. XF is a hybrid of a mountain sled and trail sled, doing off trail and trail good to very good but not great.

Premium Features