• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Early release 800 162 weighed

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Picked up my ER 800 162 yesterday and promptly weighed it at the dealer. Everything was full, ready to ride. Gas full, oil full, spare belt, tool kit and shock pump. I was really hoping to see some weight loss. It came in at 547lbs. I was pretty happy with this as my 17' 153 MC weighed exactly the same RTR on the same scale. I'll give 7ish lbs extra for the 162 over the 153 track. The 18' MC is supposed to lose another 7ish lbs, so that'll get it really close to Polaris and ski doo. 16' 163x3 axys on the same scale RTR was was 537lbs.

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
My 153 with no belt, but had tool kit and air pump was 550, so pretty close numbers. Not to mention all of the advantages racinstation stated.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Just remember you don't have to do a bulkhead stiffener, an S mod re-enforcement, tunnel stiffener, rail braces etc.

I haven't put any of that stuff on my 850, probably should though. The doo will definitely gain weight in 18', just like the XP did the year after it was released in 08'. I'm just real happy cat got more weight off the 18' from 17'.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
sweet, looks like a couple pounds lighter. cat says 6 pound diff 153-162, take out a couple pounds for the oil tank size and you have like 4 pounds lighter than 17MC dry?
do these sno pros have the gas tank that was s'posed to be 5 pounds lighter?
awesome sled!

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
So 162" 18 mountain cat should come in at approximately 539 lbs based on the numbers we are hearing.

From there:
Pipe/Can = -16 lbs
Belt drive & reduced oil capacity: -10 lbs
Camso track: -11 lbs
Gripper skis: - 2 lbs
Foam & assorted plastic removal = -2 lbs

Realistically I see this sled getting under 500 lbs rtr pretty easily 493 ish for a 153.

Pretty impressive considering how much it took to get a 16 down to even close to 500.

That kind of weight with that new torquey motor will be a blast to ride.

For comparison a 155" Axys with belt drive and 2.6 track is about 508 stock. Can lose some weight with a can but needs a arms, shocks, belt tensioner, tunnel reinforcements and bumpers before I would even dare put one on the snow. Next year is going to be very interesting.

Last edited:

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
So 162" 18 mountain cat should come in at approximately 539 lbs based on the numbers we are hearing.

From there:
Pipe/Can = -16 lbs So $1500 ish
Belt drive & reduced oil capacity: -10 lbs $900
Camso track: -11 lbs $900 for a Conquer 280 162"
Gripper skis: - 2 lbs $ 350 / pair
Foam & assorted plastic removal = -2 lbs Free

Realistically I see this sled getting under 500 lbs rtr pretty easily 493 ish for a 153.

Pretty impressive considering how much it took to get a 16 down to even close to 500.

For comparison a 155" Axys with belt drive and 2.6 track is about 508 stock. Can lose some weight with a can but needs a arms, shocks, belt tensioner, tunnel reinforcements and bumpers before I would even dare put one on the snow. Next year is going to be very interesting.

Soooo buying your sled, THEN spend another roughly $3,650.00 to make it as light as an Axys that's stock, except for a $300 "take your pick of whatever can you want" is impressive? And have yet to see an Axys that "needs" a arms, shocks, belt tensioner, bumpers etc… Seem to be holding up fine around here? only one that I will give you is a tunnel support. While I've never seen one personally fail, they are the weakest link in that chain.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city

From there:
Pipe/Can = -16 lbs
Belt drive & reduced oil capacity: -10 lbs
Camso track: -11 lbs
Gripper skis: - 2 lbs
Foam & assorted plastic removal = -2 lbs

Not to meantion the fact of that constant Polaris nagging feeling of "when is my engine going to blow"? The axys motor is better than the pro motor, but there are still too many going down.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I'm rebuilding the top end on my axys as we speak. 1200 mi. Boosted for 500 mi. Low compression.

And yes I did feel my axys needed arms, bumpers, and shocks. Cat is still a more plush ride.

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
I for one was a little disappointed with the 18 cat weight. I was really excited about the new changes for 18 and kicking around the idea of changing. The new cat is sick, the new doo has some really cool stuff, find out what poo has tonight...
But 60lbs is a big deal. and $3k extra on top of a $13k sled to get it to fighting weight on the cat and doo is insane, one can get a turbo for $4k on an axys and still be lighter than the stock doo/cat... If i am spending 17-18k on a sled, it better be boosted...

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Soooo buying your sled, THEN spend another roughly $3,650.00 to make it as light as an Axys that's stock, except for a $300 "take your pick of whatever can you want" is impressive? And have yet to see an Axys that "needs" a arms, shocks, belt tensioner, bumpers etc… Seem to be holding up fine around here? only one that I will give you is a tunnel support. While I've never seen one personally fail, they are the weakest link in that chain.

Any axys that gets ridden needs all of those things minimum. Remember I am a Polaris guy that got sick of having to throw away all that money to make my sled last through a weekend of riding so I jumped ship and am well aware of what it takes to ride a Poo.

That post was for fun comparing to the lightest Axys they build which has small track, crappy shocks, no powder coat etc. This cat bone stock with the 3" track will eat any stock Axys alive.
The stock 3" Axys is around 8 lbs lighter than the stock cat. I can drop 8 lbs by drinking coffee and dropping an "axys" on the way to the hill.

Also I get around $1200 for a belt drive and pipe and the track is a nearly free swap when you sell the new take off. After a year on a turbo I would rather have maybe $2k into light weight goodies and have factory power and reliability but for the guys that would rather give up their warranty and install a turbo to hang with a stock cat Polaris is definitely for you.

You know cat is doing something right when the Poo guys are over here to tell us how much cooler there Poo is than a sled they havent ridden. But all the poo guys I have talked to in the field that have rode it will tell you it does everything the Axys does a little bit better and has noticeably more power.

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
x2 ^^^^^^ 3 guys this weekend rode my 17 and all of them was amazed that it handled so well and was that nimble 2 was on axys 1 was on a 850.... we rode stupid steep tree covered slops all day and they jumped from there's and mine all day.. all agreed the sled Is no slouch, now the 18 feels even better then mine... all I have to say is spend some time on a newer cat there nothing like the older ones sir.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
for the guys that would rather give up their warranty and install a turbo to hang with a stock cat Polaris is definitely for you.

You have got to be joking.

You know cat is doing something right when the Poo guys are over here to tell us how much cooler there Poo is than a sled they havent ridden.

I have ridden the 18 cat.

Premium Features