• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 Skidoo SHOT "RE-Starting" system

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
2018 Ski-Doo: SHOT Start System

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0re-NccX4f0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What if you could get push button start without the weight of a starter, motor, and battery? Well, that day has finally arrived thanks to the engineers at BRP. SHOT Restart system is a radical new approach to starting your sled. While it's similar to electric start, there are some very key differences.

Here are a few key notes to know about SHOT:

1. Adds just 2 lbs.
  2. You have to start the engine once with the rope, then the rest of the day the Shot kicks in.
  3. You get just one shot per charge.
  4. Static charge in the ultra capacitors lasts about 20-25 minutes. (It worked for up to an hour in our experience)
  5. BRP engineered this. 100 percent BRP invention.
  6. OEM option on Freeride and Summit. This is mountain-specific. This feature adds $600 to price of vehicle.
  7. Shot is a restart system. Don’t confuse this with an electric start. It will require pull rope starts at times.
  8. SHOT activation is one rotation of the crankshaft. E-Tec starts on a short degree of rotation.
  9. It doesn't crank and try to start like a car or an electric start dirt bike. It just starts.
Shot starts your sled by storing electricity in an “ultra-capacitor” that weighs a mere 2 lbs. That’s a 22 lb savings over traditional electric start systems. But don’t call this an electric start, because it’s not.

We like to call this invention “Auto-Restart.” This is because Shot requires an initial start by pull rope. After your sled runs for 2 minutes, enough energy will be stored to re-start your sled by pure electricity. This works for almost 30 minutes after the sled has shut down. We think Ski-Doo was conservative on the 30 minutes, we had it working for up to an hour after the sled had been shut off. Impressive.

Why this over electric start? Simple. Give up 22 lbs to pull your rope once all day. We think that’s a pretty fair trade.

In the enduro world, most riders won't even consider a bike without electric start, even the easy to start 2-strokes. Why is this? Being able to tap a button to get your bike (or sled) fired up in a sticky situation, will save frustration and copious ammounts of energy. Once riders get a feel for the advantage of SHOT system we beleive every mountain rider will be wanting one.

Here's a real world review of the SHOT system.
"On our intro ride in Sicamous, we stopped and started our sleds over 45 times in one day. Most of these were right after we either got stuck from doing something stupid, or helped pull another sled out that did something stupid. The difference of not having to climb on the sled and pull a rope (multiplied by 40 times) made a huge difference in energy over the day. If you want to argue that electric start is the same or better, save it. We're not interested in anything that adds 20 pounds to a mountain sled. But the SHOT adds just 2 pounds, which is still 2 pounds in the wrong direction, but its benefits far outweigh the weight––literally." - Ryan Harris, SnoWest Test Rider

IMG_3961.jpg_1600.jpg

Weighing in at a mere 2 pounds, this capacator is what stores the energy used by SHOT to start your engine.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Sounds kind of interesting! :)

So if i understand this . . . you just get one "shot" at it and if the sled doesn't start, you need to pull the rope. . .?

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Can this be put on the 2017 850?

I hope so, but doubt it.

So without a starter motor, how does this work? Squirt some fuel in the cylinder closest to tdc and throw a spark at it? That should push the piston down and get the cycle going.

Last edited:

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I hope so, but doubt it.

So without a starter motor, how does this work? Squirt some fuel in the cylinder closest to tdc and through a spark at it? That should push the piston down and get the cycle going.

It basically turns the stator into an electric motor for a split second. Things like this are what pushes our industry forward. I'm glad to see skidoo making improvements each year.

The estimated cost to retrofit this to a 2017 is over $2000 as it needs a new ecm to work.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Sounds kind of interesting! :)

So if i understand this . . . you just get one "shot" at it and if the sled doesn't start, you need to pull the rope. . .?

CORRECT
You have 20-60 minutes from the time you SHUT DOWN your sled to be able to PRESS THE BUTTON and get ONE FREE START out of the capacitor.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Can this be put on the 2017 850?

My LIMITED understanding right now is that it would require a significant retrofit of your sled, possibly a new 2018 ECU. Might be cheaper, faster and more efficient just to sell your 2017 and buy the newer 2018 if you really want this new feature

P

prairieguy

Nov 26, 2007
i really hope they will take this $600 feature and make it an option, not everyone wants a sled with such a high price tag!

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
If anyone wants to look into this more it is basically a copy of the "start/stop" systems being added to many cars. They shut down at stop lights, when you let off the brakes they start back up instantly without using the vehicle starter. It is a coil that keeps energy and then released to restart the vehicle/sled.

I'm curious what happens if you push the button while the sled is running. Sounds like a bad idea but I'm sure it will be done either by accident or on purpose. Hopefully the ECU is smart enough to know the motor is already running.

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
Watching my dad's 2017 850 with electric start it just takes a bump and the sled is running, even when it was 0 F. I'm sure the SHOT will work great.

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
If anyone wants to look into this more it is basically a copy of the "start/stop" systems being added to many cars. They shut down at stop lights, when you let off the brakes they start back up instantly without using the vehicle starter. It is a coil that keeps energy and then released to restart the vehicle/sled.

I'm curious what happens if you push the button while the sled is running. Sounds like a bad idea but I'm sure it will be done either by accident or on purpose. Hopefully the ECU is smart enough to know the motor is already running.

The Ecu is smart enough. It is the same button for Reverse so you have to use it when it's running. Same thing Skidoo has had for years where the reverse button is also the start button.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The Ecu is smart enough. It is the same button for Reverse so you have to use it when it's running. Same thing Skidoo has had for years where the reverse button is also the start button.
Tell ya what, I am absolutely looking forward to this!!:face-icon-small-hap
:face-icon-small-hap

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
In school we would load a capacitor & toss it to a buddy.
Funny prank!
However my point is an inexperienced or careless tech could cause some headaches with unintentional connectivity.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com

If u push button while Sled is running it will go into reverse, same button and you roughly get two chances to start it but you actually hold the button down until it cranks over

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
I like the idea of the SHOT system and would likely order it over the Estart that I currently have but:

It is a $750 option over the manual start and $250 more than the Estart in Canada on the build your sled website.

The price point of the SHOT system appears to be a "gouge" of the customer snow checking a new sled for two reasons: the price of a capacitor bank vs. a battery, wiring harness, starter and ring gear?

Trying to capitalize on the weight savings of the SHOT system over the Estart of about 18 pounds for $250. I haven't confirmed the snowchek incentive package yet for the 2018 but if the SHOT was not at the same price point or below that of Estart I would not snow check a new sled period. JMO

Premium Features