• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

17 MC vs 18 dilema

03Firecatguy

Mar 12, 2011
Aberdeen SD
So I have 17 MC with a few mods. The 18 looks like it will be great but with same chassis and not much weight reduction I'm gaining a more fuel efficient engine mainly and would make less hp than I have now. Is that engine worth spending all the extra money? My thoughts instead of replacing the 17 are......
18' gas tank -5lbs
Aluminum Driveshaft -3lbs
Hollow Jackshaft -2.25lbs
BDX 18' front end -10lbs

My sled is 536lbs ready to ride now. With these mods and maybe a few other areas I can drop weight I can easily get to 510-515. My sled runs amazing, feels amazing just tough to justify selling it for a huge loss and just end up dumping more into aftermarket on the 18. Thoughts?

bopper

Premium Member
Apr 28, 2008
elkford,bc
I'd probably do the skinz helium kit before spending all that money to be on a stock 18. I also have a mountain cat and plan on riding it another season. I'll order a 2019 id imagine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03Firecatguy

Mar 12, 2011
Aberdeen SD
If it wasn't so god awful ugly...... Plus my pipe kit won't clear on the Helium. So "if" it would clear I'm at 15lbs max loss because my exhaust is already changed where I can have the nice new plastics for 10lbs loss.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
anyone got a pic of the new driveshaft? not sure that would be an upgrade, the steel one in these 17 MCs looks nice n beefy for smacking stumps and whatnot.
Id give it a year personally.

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
I would definitely look at dropping some weight with the hood/intake. I forget who mentioned it, but weight removed this is above the center of gravity is more noticeable than weight that is already sitting low.

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
If it wasn't so god awful ugly...... Plus my pipe kit won't clear on the Helium. So "if" it would clear I'm at 15lbs max loss because my exhaust is already changed where I can have the nice new plastics for 10lbs loss.

Man I can't believe you're the first person I've seen to post that. I agree totally that thing is not pretty to look at but to each their own. I've also had too many skinz parts I wasn't happy with the strength.

03Firecatguy

Mar 12, 2011
Aberdeen SD
I would definitely look at dropping some weight with the hood/intake. I forget who mentioned it, but weight removed this is above the center of gravity is more noticeable than weight that is already sitting low.

Losing 5lbs of rotating mass is noticeable though as well. 10lbs off the intake with the BDX stuff will help a lot. I cant stand listening to these sleds with an open intake so the only way I'll do one is if its still pulling air from up top.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

The 17 Mtn Cats rips, they are proven and they are reliable. When was the last time you saw a first year new model release go smoothly? If you like your 17, keep it for another year and let the R&D team (the consumers) work-out the kinks.

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
Sorry but this new engine is going to have to prove it's ready to me. With what's going on with the buy out from Textron, I'll be a wait and see...

WhiskeyTee

Lifetime Membership
Dec 12, 2013
Utah
When was the last time you saw a first year new model release go smoothly? .

2014 C-Tec2 M6000 went VERY smooth!

That being said, I intentionally went out and got a MC last month to get one of the last Zuc 800's. As crappy as I ride, a couple pounds aint squat!

D

Dabull

Nov 26, 2007
utah
I keep wondering if you could switch the plastics over to a 17 mountain cat. Wouldn't loose much weight but it would look like an 18?

03Firecatguy

Mar 12, 2011
Aberdeen SD
I keep wondering if you could switch the plastics over to a 17 mountain cat. Wouldn't loose much weight but it would look like an 18?

Yes you can. BDX makes a kit with the Cat plastics 18 style but uses their headlight delete intake. I'm sure Cats intake will work as well.

I ride crappy as well, but the better the sled is the better I look!

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I buy in the holdover world, just don't like loosing thousands of dollars the minute I buy something. Love my 16 so much this will be the first year since 11 I'm gonna ride the same sled 2 seasons. Will buy a 18 holdover in 19 for less than 10k and love it and all the money I get to keep in my pocket:)

WhiskeyTee

Lifetime Membership
Dec 12, 2013
Utah
I buy in the holdover world, just don't like loosing thousands of dollars the minute I buy something. Love my 16 so much this will be the first year since 11 I'm gonna ride the same sled 2 seasons. Will buy a 18 holdover in 19 for less than 10k and love it and all the money I get to keep in my pocket:)

Up until this MC I have been similar. Never bought an in season model (Even though my "in season" MC was only still in season a week after i brought it home before the early releases came out.) Always got new sleds. But they were always hold overs. Didnt figure after the rebates came out on 17's MC's would last very long if they were available. But I do keep my sleds for a few years!

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
If I were buying new next year this 18 would be hard to pass on. The addresses so many things I hate about the older sleds. If this new engine is all it's hyped to be it will be a sweet ride.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Before you do the helium, contact me. Some good and some really stupid stuff with it. You can lose the same weight for half the money.
I've done 2 and the 3rd I'm going to do different and much better.

As for the op, drop the hood weight, add grippers and keep it. You will be glad

bopper

Premium Member
Apr 28, 2008
elkford,bc
Before you do the helium, contact me. Some good and some really stupid stuff with it. You can lose the same weight for half the money.

Every sled I've seen running an aftermarket hood has a disgusting low end bog.. who's got the fix for that? Both are speedwerx pipes and ran crisp prior to the hoods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03Firecatguy

Mar 12, 2011
Aberdeen SD

Think the grippers are that much better than these new ski's? I really don't mind them at all, the 14 had powder pro's on it and I was sick of those.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Grippers are way more predictable. There is a reason I cancelled my helium order after the first one I installed. Intake setup needs re-worked. I said the only temp fix for it was frogzskins on the box before it even hit the snow

Premium Features