• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'72 Chev K 20 4x4

D

DOO DAWG

Dec 9, 2007
Arlington Wa. USA
I have a dilemma with my baby of many years. I have owned this rig since 1990, lost a head gasket in '91, and since the fuel mileage would not change significantly with a big block I decided to gain the power and Torque and put one in....since I was running 35" Monster mudders at the time.
Well anyone who has ever TRIED to big block a 67-72 4x knows, they are not engineered to fit a big block with the drive train mounts where they are stock, I found this out when the engine was an inch from the tranny while up against the firewall....leaving only 2 options.
1 modify (tear up) the firewall
2 move the drive train mounts forward

I chose # 2 and moved it al 2" forward lengthening the rear driveline and shortening the front.
Soon after it Blew the tranny which I took care of Immediatly and had many great years.
Now we come to last October....... She is getting tired, but I thought I woud get one more year out of the old war horse. Had to install new Mufflers, and did a tranny flush and away we went.
Tranny number 2 let loose (After 100,000 rough miles). which invoved a 950.00 ride home from Ellensburg on a tilt bed, and a $850.00 Duramax rental to finish the trip. (2 weeks earlier we were THIS close to buying one!)
Here's the skinny

1972 Chevy K/20 4x4 Body rough
4" lift
Frame and mounts modified to fit Big Block (not an easy task)
1969 LS-1 427 engine (gettin tired) ................................After rebuild...stuff into C/20
Edelbrock 750 CFM
New starter
New fuel pump
Accel HEI...............................................................................................$2200 complete
blown turbo 350
NP 205 transfer case.......................................................................................$150
Rear differential (Detroit locker) with recent (within 3000 Mi.)brake job.......................$250
Front differential with New rotors & recent brake job..............................................$300
Frame adapted for BIG BLOCK .....drive lines should remain with................................$500
Aluminum slotted 16.5 x12" wheels with mud terrains 25% tread left..........................$150
Fiberglass canopy................................Would work on my '69 396 C/20...................$300
Tilt wheel...........................................also........................................................$150
New mufflers Tail pipes........................................................................................$50
reciever and trailer brakes.......................again.....................................................$100
4 core Radiator.. New in '05................................................................................$150.
$4300
.................................................................................................................................

and I would NOW let it go complete for $2500
Now I need to get at least $2500 - $3,000 for this thing, part it out, or take the Trans back to the same place where I had it rebuilt before (It survived more than most would) and keep it around the place for the dirty work
I Also have other 1969 Cevy body parts and rebuildable 69 396 witha good TH 400 behind it

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.JPG

Last edited:
D

DOO DAWG

Dec 9, 2007
Arlington Wa. USA
Looking like I will be pulling out the trans, and making it functional again, since there seems to be no interest.
Or I could throw in a 1969 C/20 parts truck

D

DOO DAWG

Dec 9, 2007
Arlington Wa. USA
Sold 02-02-08

Sold her today to a good home ..... Got $2200 for all and I think it was a fair deal for both of us. Body will be thrown away and she will be re-incarnated as a new machine

TD 3.JPG

Last edited:
Premium Features