• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I cross threaded my dd fill bolt.......

S
Dec 8, 2007
Saskatchewan
cross threaded my dd fill bolt:(the bolt goes in and everything normally except that when it is completely in it doesn't get nearly tight enough,i think it even squashes the rubber ring a bit.When it is in i can't pull it out with my hands so the case should still be good enough.could i just goop it up ?,I think that should be enough and no oil will leak,im just worried about the heat,how hot does the side of the dd get?on the dd case there are still small threads but there very shallow.What do you guys think?i could also use the white thread tape stuff,would that be good or could it get inside the dd and do damage?

goop is like silicon only i find that it is stronger.package says good for use till 150 farenheit.I need the sled ready to go for tomorrow morning....

this is my first post on here and I find your information very useful,thanks in advance.o ya,the sled is a 2007 M6 which i just got:D

P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
im not familiar with your goop product. there is a vent for the excess pressure that will build up in the DD (the bolt that holds the secondary clutch on the shaft has a hole drilled in it) so, pressure is not a worry. You might try some chemicals, but the downer is the right way to do that is to pull the DD out, pull it apart, (its simple) clean out the side of the case that has the fill plug in it, and either weld closed, drill and tap a new hole, or maybe, just maybe heli-coil it. But, unless you have extra DD oil (im still trying to find out if anyone KNOWS for sure what properties that oil has) , and the right heli-coil, or a buddy with a TIG, you might be riding on a prayer. Even if you do.... tomorrow is gonna come awful fast!

oh, I just thought of a product I might try for a band-aid, aviation grade form-a-gasket. its super sticky, and super thick, and just might buy you a day in the snow. Dont know where you are, and what might be open, but thats my .02 cents. good luck!

M

mtn_extreme

Nov 11, 2002
Nampa, Idaho
It is 10w synthetic hydraulic oil. Your dd is not under pressure so just make sure the plug doesn't come out and you will probably get the day out of it. The fix would be mayde a slightly bigger oil plug taped into aslightly bigger hole.

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
A new gearcase cover is about $65.

It doesn't sound like it will come out, but if it does your next trip will be toast. A new one might be cheap insurance.

BD-Xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
It is 10w synthetic hydraulic oil. Your dd is not under pressure so just make sure the plug doesn't come out and you will probably get the day out of it. The fix would be mayde a slightly bigger oil plug taped into aslightly bigger hole.

The only 2 approved oils for the Diamond Driva are Arctic Cat and Black Diamond Xtreme. There are extra additives in the Cat and BDX oil for the high speed/pressure of the planetary, I ame SURE there are other oils that will work fine just not sure what they are.

BDX

S
Dec 8, 2007
Saskatchewan
the bolt is in there but it just won;t tighten,i cant pull it out with my hands so the goop should work in the mean time,i really gooped it good,the goop is only so no oil will leak,the bolt has enough bit that very little,if any,oil will leak,personaly i think i should be good for today

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
a heli coil might be the way to go that way you go back to stock size and that way its easyer to get a plug in the future if there is any problems. that and heli coils are way stronger then stock threads

K

keeton

Nov 26, 2007
Clarkston WA
if the threads in the fillhole go all the way through the case (cant remember when i took mine off) thread the oul plug in through the back of the case a bunch of times (dont cross thread this time) , you might have a to find a longer bolt than the plug to reach the part of the threads you messed up, but just thread the bolt in and out untill its easy to spin, this should make the treads on top back to normal

K

keeton

Nov 26, 2007
Clarkston WA
i was saying take your dd appart and run it through the back side but if all the threads are messed up you might be outa luck on that idea

S
Dec 8, 2007
Saskatchewan
ic,im having a hell of a time trying to get the cover off,weird bolts and they are in some crappy places at the bottom,im not even sure how im going to get them out,any suggestions without pulling out the whole dd?

psychosledder73

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2007
Fernie BC
I work on off road equipment which use plantary gears and transmit gob loads
of more torque then our dd drives do. I m talkin 1000's of torque And we usually use 10w which works just fine
BD will say they have fancy additives to push their product, which is fine and dandy.I know guys who have run amsoil tranny oil, their cases run cleaner and run fine, lots of hard pulling etc.

Last edited:
Premium Features