• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

o2 Sensor

J
Dec 3, 2007
I have the 02 sensor on my sled. It has been a love/hate relationship. I do believe that it works better to tune with than EGTs for the fact that you can see exactly what your air/fuel ratio is throughout the RPM range. With EGTs it is harder to find lean/rich spots in your fuel map. Rocky from Boondocker swears by these instruments and that is what they use to tune with. My 02 sensor is great when it works, but it only works about half the time. I have cleaned it many times and checked the wiring but it just seems to work only when it wants to. Luckily I already have my sled dialed in so I dont really need to look at it anymore. Maybe somebody with a little more experience with these could clue us in as to why these things are so tempermental..........

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
i think if you can get an O2 sensor to work well then tuning with it would be a breeze. i would immagine if you had an O2 with almost any EFI tuner you could just go up in the stages your are allowd, you see air fuel ratio and then dial in rich or lean from there. even with carbs each circuit of a carb is like having thos stages of an EFI tuner. pay attension to throttle position and air fuel ratio and dial in from there. thats nearly how dyno tuning is done. they stick a 5 gas analyzer in your exhaust and dial in your EFI in 200RPM incraments or carbs matching your throttle position with the circuit in your carb with the right jet and or screw position. a little bit of reading and nothing but your time i think that tuning with an O2 sensor can be a fairly quick and successful way to dial in your sled.

Premium Features