• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I blew it up good! Take a look at this head - M7.

bushy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
Glacier View, CO
Guess it wasn't a fouled plug and hammering on it didn't help clean it out! Big chunk of piston blew off and wreaked havoc. Pics later when I get there. Just hope I didn't toast the crank by running it like this for a few miles. Really seemed like a fouled plug! What a dumb Azz! (to save you the trouble of posting it). Jug is toast too. Anybody got a top end take off from an 05-06 M/F 7 they want to sell? Swap meet is cleaned out.

attachment.php

Last edited:

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Are you going to go pick up one of those new yamaha's like everybody else? lol Kyle broke down and got a boosted phaser.

G

geno

Nov 26, 2007
I think http://www.mt-llc.com/Snowmobiles/snowmobiles.html has exchange cylinders, they'll send you out one, while yours goes back for core. I've used heads that beatup, pick the excess pieces out, knock down the highs and run it. :beer;:D

oh ya, assuming the crank and bottom end is good. What caused it?

Paul riding a yami? I don't see it. :)

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
think Pauls the last 2smoke riding buddy i have left! :( hahaha

that dome can still work..file/sand 'er down a bit.

pop new piston in, send the jug off for a renic, ride in a cpl weeks!

bushy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
Glacier View, CO
And the piston and bore

Is this jug salvageable as a 700? That groove is pretty deep. Never did find any "chunks" and the piston/bore skirt look ok, so I don't think anything got into the case (maybe dust?) and it looks clean down there.

Thanks Geno and Sledsniper, i'll check them out. The laramie dealer says US Chrome can do it for under 200 or I can swap for a cat refurbished for 300 a lot quicker. Made a bunch of calls and used parts are pretty scarce, but it sounds like the head could be machined, though Mt Extreme has a used one for 150. Back on the snow in a week for around 800 bucks. I was thinking of making her an 800 anyway, not today, but maybe that's the way to go. Got some shoppin to do.

Just when the snow was getting rideable:rolleyes:

Yammy? I'm too poor for a good one and too young for a stocker:eek: J/K, they're looking better every year.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
K

kmo

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
Wow....that stuck pretty good. Also for plating try Millenium. I'm thinking they are in wisconson. They may even have an exchange jug ready to go. A good friend just had them re-plate his KTM 300 cylinder. I also am running their 98" jugs on my '06 Softail. They seem to do great work.

Last edited:
M
Nov 26, 2007
bummer

Sorry to see that mess.
Better now than in the heart of the season.
I vote for big bore now. Thought there was a used big bore on old swapmeet not too long ago?????

bushy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
Glacier View, CO
3500 pretty hard miles on the motor, or chitty premium I got from the Conoco headin up to the range. Thought I noticed the engine kinda missing earlier. Detonation? EGT wasn't bad either. Not sure, but that gas is going in the pickup.

TEAR IT DOWN!!!
Don't be a tight azz. Do it right or you'll be doin it again. Your head is totally salvagable. Trust me, you don't want to spend the money on new cylinder, piston, blah, blah, blah and smoke it because you didn't get the bottom end taken care of. JMO.

Y
Jan 2, 2002
Keenesburg, Co.
I agree. With the amount of damage done and the fact that the engine
was forced to keep running after it stuck, better do the bottom end. Chances
are not in your favaor that it's still good. Looks like the chunk of piston
broke and was contained in the combustion area, crushed and maybe spit
out the exhaust port.

Damn Paul... KILL SWITCH buddy! I know that sinking feeling in the gut
when it goes sweek, it sucks. If it makes you feel better the Viper pistons
where $169 a hole, just for the pistons!

I seen someone has a M8 motor F/S in swap.

bushy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
Glacier View, CO
Good point, but it's much easier to give that advice than to follow it! lol The cat dealer didn't think anything was likely damaged below and the 700 bottom end is way overbuilt, so I like his answer better :D I dunno, I've always wanted the experience of having tore one down completely, but without actually doing it! ha ha. Give me something to do while I wait for parts. Rod bearing feels good and i'll check the rod for trueness and poke my eye in the case and decide then. All this new snow is making me a little nutz and I just want to ride! Got a line on a BMP 800 kit that'll get me back on the snow by next week end.

Premium Features