• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best way to trim fat on 06 700/900

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Iv done allot of research on my sled and although i can't find any good clutch set ups for a stock 700 rmk, I also haven't seen any posts listing the best places to cut weight.

Hear is what I plan to do
1. take most of the foam and stuff off the hood and replace the vents with lighter weight slp vent mesh(already have some)
2.take off the plastic on the tunnel.
3. put a new can on it, that will come in a few months

But the most important weight savings i think could probably be gained by getting rid of the adjustable steering system and replacing it with the 07 model's steering. Do you think it is worth it ? I read that( at least i think so) in a snowest mag last year. I read that polaris shaved 20+ pounds just by changing the steering.

soreloser

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NE Wyoming
i believe the front radiator removal will shave quite a few pounds(13ish), and actually keep it just as cool or cooler.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Iv done allot of research on my sled and although i can't find any good clutch set ups for a stock 700 rmk, I also haven't seen any posts listing the best places to cut weight.

1. take most of the foam and stuff off the hood and replace the vents with lighter weight slp vent mesh(already have some)

But the most important weight savings i think could probably be gained by getting rid of the adjustable steering system and replacing it with the 07 model's steering. Do you think it is worth it ? I read that( at least i think so) in a snowest mag last year. I read that polaris shaved 20+ pounds just by changing the steering.

according to Timbersled, their rider select elimination mount only saves a pound.

They used to sell a whole steering column that I believe they advertised would save 3 pounds, but I can't find that product on their site anymore.

E
Nov 26, 2007
Covington, WA
How much do you want to spend? A great upgrade is the Holtz/Float suspention kit and fox floats up front. It removes the springs in the skid and gives you one hell of a ride.

It's around 20lbs with the Holtz/Float kit, floats up front and scratchers instead of bogeys. I think I spent around $2500 and the ride is awesome.

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
if i spent $7000 on my sled, I would have as much into it as i would an 08. Only thing is that for $7000 i can build a better sled, just my philosophy ;)

Anyways. When you buy the SLP AIR Box kit don't you have to remove the front radiator? A guy offered me one but i declined because i didn't want it to over heat. Have you tried it on your sled and have you experienced good results?

And i am going to have to decline. I rode a 900 with a full holts suspension system and i loved it, but i know that i am not going to spend near that much. I would like to though...:(

How much does getting a new seat shave off? I wouldn't think it would be much or even worth the cost. I my friend spent $600 on a BOSS seat and it weighed like 1 pound less?

Ware did Polaris shave so much weight? i know that the rear rails look allot skinnier and they have the holes in the track but i just can't see it: confused:

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
if i spent $7000 on my sled, I would have as much into it as i would an 08. Only thing is that for $7000 i can build a better sled, just my philosophy ;)

Anyways. When you buy the SLP AIR Box kit don't you have to remove the front radiator? A guy offered me one but i declined because i didn't want it to over heat. Have you tried it on your sled and have you experienced good results?

And i am going to have to decline. I rode a 900 with a full holts suspension system and i loved it, but i know that i am not going to spend near that much. I would like to though...:(

How much does getting a new seat shave off? I wouldn't think it would be much or even worth the cost. I my friend spent $600 on a BOSS seat and it weighed like 1 pound less?

Ware did Polaris shave so much weight? i know that the rear rails look allot skinnier and they have the holes in the track but i just can't see it: confused:

The newer 700 and 800 motors are based on the 2006 600 HO small block, that's the biggest weight difference right there. The actual 900 motor itself is kinda heavy ....

R
Nov 27, 2007
Northern California
You WANT to remove the front radiator. You will reroute 100% of the coolant to go through the rear coolers instead of up front. Most of the time, this makes an improvement in cooling. Plus, that dumps another few pounds.

S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
A guy offered me one but i declined because i didn't want it to over heat.
less likely to overheat without the front cooler.

better to spend the $1400 or whatever a holtz costs then spend $3k on a different suspension, right?

It isn't about weight savings (for me at least) when it comes to the seat. The boss is simiply more comfortable. Its stiffer, don't sink into it as much. Its taller, easier on the knees.

they got rid of all the frills that no-one wanted in the first place (rider select steering, all the plastics, etc), and went to an engine based off of a smaller crank case.

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID

Your really pretty far off.

The best place to loose weight is the front red and the can.
The rad will save 5 lbish and will have no affect or improve your cooling.
and at the price is the best bang for the buck.
My can saved just under 17 pounds, I have the Precision, Slp's is 15lb less.
The plastic on the tunnel is almost 2 lb.

and as said chaning out the steering is not worth it unless your's is worn out.

J

JesseJames

Jan 9, 2005
Exhaust, and airbox/radiator is going to be your most cost effective and largest weight savings. Ditch the radiator, it will run just as cool, if not cooler, without it. Get a set of scratchers if you don't have some already, as the cooling system on the 900 is somewhat lacking. I wouldn't mess with the steering. To little gain for too much money, unless you break something. Jesse.

I

Iowaplowboy

Nov 29, 2007
On the farm in Carroll County
I rode my 2006 700RMK stock when I first got it. I hated it, it was front heavy and short on power. You need to shave weight off the front, and the best way is the can, secondly would be the radiator removal and a lightweight airbox. Both of these help with the power, but I would also recommend gearing it lower. If you do these 3 things it won't cost a whole lot and will get that sled to run and handle a lot better. (like an$8500 snowmobile should run!)
Silencer $250
SLP air box kit $300
Gear reduction $75
air vent kit $70
Snowmobile performance = priceless

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
what gear kit should i get? I posted this beofre and i was told to get a 41 or 42 but should i go bigger or not?

Premium Features