• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

how do you test the coolant temp sensor in 02?

Nov 26, 2007
hi i have a stock 02 rmk 700, i just rebuilt the motor in it this summer and it ran great for along time after the rebuild. but now it is boging and back fireing i cleaned the carbs checked all hoses and replaced reeds and stator, so now im wondering if it could be the coolant temp sensor messing up and retarding the timeing? so my ?? is how do i test it to see if it is my problem?

thanks
cory

X
Nov 26, 2007
I can tell you that mine was quite consistent whem mine went out, would rev to ~5000 and hold - no bogging/backfiring.

To test: You can get a bypass kit here from SLP. I carry one now just in case of another failure.

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
Testing coolant temp sensor is easy. It should read a certain amount of ohms at a certain temp give or take some. I threw my manual away when I got rid of the 800 rmk I had so I wouldn't be able to give you exact numbers.

You can also take it out, put it in a pan of boiling water and then take the reading as well. They give you a number for room temp (68 F and a reading for 212 F)

They were known to be junk. Most of us when we had that sled always carried a spare or two in our packs. Simply unplug the bad one and plug in the new one. You wouldn't have temp protection but at least you would have power until you got back to the lodge where you could change it out with proper tools.

Nov 26, 2007
thank for the info guys, changed the sensor and no help, still bogs and backfires, i will keep the old one for a spare good thinking rj.

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
I know this sounds really stupid and basic but double check the plugs my brother had a similar issue and the plug had no gap after being put in a spring loaded plug holder. I'm sure you've changed them but it's just a thought.

Premium Features