• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Teach Me, O' great 2 Smoke Sledders.. (Gas Consumption & Fuel Tanks)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
OK, once again its time for the newbie to plead ignorance.

As everyone around here knows, ALL of my sledding has been on 4 strokes. So I have a really good understanding of fuel consumption of a boosted 4 Stroke, but not a freaking clue how much gas these new 850's are going to burn.

Based on your years of Doo experience, should I be buying the auxiliary fuel tanks for each of my new 850's, or will the 9.5 gallon tank make it through a day?

http://store.ski-doo.com/product/0/860201265/_/Stackable_LinQ_Fuel_Caddy_-_15_L_%28US%29
c1ad85158add1a403137556166a74532.jpg

If the answer is YES for mountain riding, which is what I am guessing.
Then where the heck can you buy these for a DISCOUNT.
Damn things are crazy expensive!!

Last edited:

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
you can use the older version of the gas caddy, as they are cheaper but hold 4 ltrs less..or go with mountain addiction gas cans

SODAK-DOO

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2015
eastern south dakota
on my 800 etec i have absolutely needed my jerry can 3 times. the only time i put mine on is when it is a deep day and there is a lot of full throttle time. otherwise the 800 etec is great on fuel. but that was with a bigger tank and an 800 and not a 850 with a smaller tank. i just like to have it just in case. always can leave it at the trailer.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Every 800 mtn sled I have ever ridden has needed extra fuel to get in a full day riding. Whether its a stop back to the trailer or extra fuel on the sled I have always used it. While the 800 etec was always easier on fuel then my RMK it just postponed the inevitable.

As far as discount Ski-Doo parts I have only found two methods that ever worked for me.

1. Ebay. Some dealers sell a bunch of parts and accessories on ebay for some better prices. Here is one for $169.99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKI-DOO-STA...ash=item211898466c:g:wZwAAOSwYIxX~kgH&vxp=mtr

2. Just google "Ski-Doo (fill in part number here)". And here is a link for the caddy at $169.99 with free shipping.
http://www.skidoooutlet.com/ski-doo...w6M1lzQFTxvjiT-fwlLea5F-meXwtHtYQkRoCXq_w_wcB

R
Oct 10, 2014
Yep, depends on conditions. Tit deep and you are going to want some spare gas. At least some to get back to the truck! Here in Maine I bring the gas can and generally take it off and stash it some place so I can get a drink before headed back in. But really depends on how you ride. if you are a guy that stays out longer than most and riding in the deep you will definitely need some spare. If you ride mid morning to mid afternoon, Im guessing you will be good to go. id rather have some spare than not!!!

Im guessing the 850's are going to be a bit more thirsty with less capacity than the 16's. Id set it up to carry some fuel. I am setting mine up with an aux tank for sure.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Yep, depends on conditions. Tit deep and you are going to want some spare gas. At least some to get back to the truck! Here in Maine I bring the gas can and generally take it off and stash it some place so I can get a drink before headed back in. But really depends on how you ride. if you are a guy that stays out longer than most and riding in the deep you will definitely need some spare. If you ride mid morning to mid afternoon, Im guessing you will be good to go. id rather have some spare than not!!!

Im guessing the 850's are going to be a bit more thirsty with less capacity than the 16's. Id set it up to carry some fuel. I am setting mine up with an aux tank for sure.

Plus that is the beauty of the Linq system. There on days you want it and off on days you don't.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I've gotten back to the truck with the sled sputtering AFTER using the spare fuel....

Some days you need it, some you don't. I'd rather have it and not need it...

M
Apr 24, 2016
Yukon
We went with the older style linq cans and I think they look nice on the g4 and for a better (still high) price.

They're definitely worth having even if they stay in the trailer until they're needed for a particular ride. It also only takes about 15 seconds or less to pop them off so you can leave them somewhere close to where you're riding.

I hope you guys have a solid riding season!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Every 800 mtn sled I have ever ridden has needed extra fuel to get in a full day riding. Whether its a stop back to the trailer or extra fuel on the sled I have always used it. While the 800 etec was always easier on fuel then my RMK it just postponed the inevitable.

As far as discount Ski-Doo parts I have only found two methods that ever worked for me.

1. Ebay. Some dealers sell a bunch of parts and accessories on ebay for some better prices. Here is one for $169.99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKI-DOO-STA...ash=item211898466c:g:wZwAAOSwYIxX~kgH&vxp=mtr

2. Just google "Ski-Doo (fill in part number here)". And here is a link for the caddy at $169.99 with free shipping.
http://www.skidoooutlet.com/ski-doo...w6M1lzQFTxvjiT-fwlLea5F-meXwtHtYQkRoCXq_w_wcB

The $169.99 is the 2017 catalog MSRP on page 97.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
Around here, out back we can get 50~60 miles/tank on a 154 x 2.5.
The first thing I bought for my 850x154x3" is the big fuel tank before i got a cover.

Fuel tank...Told the dealer "my arse hurts" and ended up giving me 10% off on all the shiznit I bought.
Cover
storage caddy
Spare LinQ connectors to mount HusQ cordless chainsaw (5.2 lbs...wow)

Too many times last season drove out on the dashlight and once sputtered to climb a bank near the truck. I ride with a BRP mech and he said not good to run the tank that low because he figures its hard on the fuel pump. I duno, but sounds good enough to me to get a fuel tank so I dont worry.

Last edited:

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Teach Me, O' great 2 Smoke Sledders..

If you run a tunnel bag, you will need 3 sets of linq brackets to run a gas caddy.

Our group run's mid morning to mid afternoon
25-75 miles at most.
Ive never even come close to running out on the etec800
My 2010 poo 800
Had to bring extra fuel and oil

BTW I ride like an old maid..

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Always had gas to burn on my Nytros and the Viper.
Only saw the YELLOW warning light once, and I REALLY didn't like it when I was a looooong ways from the trailer!~

Never been one to go gentle on the throttle, so I guess I need to find 3 sets of the fuel caddys.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
I've had to use my gas can like twice in the past several years.

If you think you need one, I'd buy one of the 4 gallon cans, see how it goes from there. I'd don't you need much spare gas.

A buddy of mine demo rode a accessory turbo (MPI)nytro, ran it empty in 30 miles, had to pull it on the trailer. So it is all relative, the other sleds, Pros,XMs used 1/2 tank or so same ride.

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Always had gas to burn on my Nytros and the Viper.
Only saw the YELLOW warning light once, and I REALLY didn't like it when I was a looooong ways from the trailer!~

Never been one to go gentle on the throttle, so I guess I need to find 3 sets of the fuel caddys.

Especially if you are getting 2 turbos

Premium Features