• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Short or High risers?

R

R3bu

Dec 11, 2014
I see a lot of people run lower bar risers instead of stock, why is that? I'm guessing height, I'm 6'3 and I always upgrade to the Adjustable Bar riser 6.9-9.3"

also I was looking at cfr's handlebars, does anyone know if the adjustable bar riser will work with cfr handlebars?

Any opinions would be appreciated

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
I see a lot of people run lower bar risers instead of stock, why is that? I'm guessing height, I'm 6'3 and I always upgrade to the Adjustable Bar riser 6.9-9.3"

also I was looking at cfr's handlebars, does anyone know if the adjustable bar riser will work with cfr handlebars?

Any opinions would be appreciated

If you buy the XM adjustable riser that was made for Freeride or last years X it should work. Clamp size for old X models are 1.5 vs 7/8. CFR bars need a 1.5" clamp size.

Last edited:
P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
You realize the riser pivots and is adjustable forth and aft of stock within reason . Don't go to far or you get some strange handlebar movement. For most average riders from 5' 10"
to 6'3'' the stock setup works surprisingly well.

At 6'2" I love the stock setup 1 " forward of straight with the post ( at the top of the riser) and the stock bar slightly rolled back is my setup.

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
at the other end of the spectrum is me the short guy.
swapping the stock 7" riser out for the stock 5" off my
13 xm is perfect. with the lower rise and narrow tank
this sled feels awesome (in the garage anyway)
should be a great sled. but I am only 5'8" on a good day

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Handlebar heights is just personal preference. Some like them high. I can't stand having them high. It seems that the steeper the terrain you get into the more you appreciate a low set of bars. I had a 3" riser and cfr bars (1" lower than stock) on my xm and I loved it.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
FFS....your height doesn't matter in relation to bar height...it's from your knuckles to the ground. Bar height is where it is COMFORTABLE to YOU! Those that tell you to set your bars lower, or higher, than you want, than where it's COMFORTABLE to you, are doing you a DISSERVICE!

...AND saying that taller height bars cause "washout" is laughable!

Ace

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Anyone change out the stock Bars yet? I have some CFR boondocker 2.0 bars coming, new design improvements look awesome! Just undecided on riser height. I'm 6'2 with boots on. How much rise is in stock bar? CRF boondocker bar is 2" rise, but the stock bar looks like less than 2".

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
08045768f085592d51ffb65072fabb21.png

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
FFS....your height doesn't matter in relation to bar height...it's from your knuckles to the ground. Bar height is where it is COMFORTABLE to YOU! Those that tell you to set your bars lower, or higher, than you want, than where it's COMFORTABLE to you, are doing you a DISSERVICE!

...AND saying that taller height bars cause "washout" is laughable!

Ace

This is not true, bar height has everything to do with your height. Your arm should be straight with a slight bend, then when you lean the sled over you are using your body, if I use stock bars at 5'6-5'7 may arms are so bent I am using my arms not my body. And I agree with your last statement.

M
Apr 24, 2016
Yukon
This is not true, bar height has everything to do with your height. Your arm should be straight with a slight bend, then when you lean the sled over you are using your body, if I use stock bars at 5'6-5'7 may arms are so bent I am using my arms not my body. And I agree with your last statement.

My wife just got her first sled (Summit X 850) what riser would you recommend for her at 5'5"?

Should I get her something adjustable on the fly?

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
My wife just got her first sled (Summit X 850) what riser would you recommend for her at 5'5"?

Should I get her something adjustable on the fly?

the 4.7" in the doo catalogue should fit her perfect..its about 3" lower than stock and can still use the rubber grab strap

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA

...Dave, it all depends on your arm leghth. What if you are 6'6, but have long arms? You will need the same riser as a 5'10 guy with short arms...

Ace

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Exactly. I'm 5'7-3/4" tall :) and two guys I ride are over 6' tall and they like their bars 1-2" lower than mine

well if you an ape ,well that throws everything off....I never said it is on your height, your riser should match where you arms hang with a slight comfy bend in them...just joking on the ape thing, those guys sound big and strong and I am small and weak!

Mort2112

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Meridian, ID
6'4" 265 and I have the stock riser, which I'm thinking of raising an inch. It works for me really well and I have them pushed farther forward than an inch and don't really have an issue with the way the bars swing. The arc is wider for sure, but that doesn't change anything for me.

But then again I don't ride goofy foot forward very much either as it really doesn't change anything for me unless it's a steep sidehill, then I do.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I bought the 4" for both of my sleds, the stock riser was too tall. As has been said, it doesn't matter one bit how tall you are unless you factor in arm length. Then it is preference. Skidoo needs to pull their heads out with that silly mountain bar. WAY too tall for bars with a small rise. I didn't understand last year why I was so uncomfortable on my Summits, until I rode my Freeride with Fly bars and no mountain bar. The flipping bar in my face all day made me ride different. Having the bar tap on my helmet and goggles changed how I rode. Nothing like a mountain bar to the face to make you say WTF.

Premium Features