• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

K-Mod with ARC

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
If only this existed. I will wait until I have some seat time on the G4 before commenting about the "wheelie monster" tendencies that have been suggested by some people that rode demo sleds. Perhaps some proper adjustment of the stock skid will prove to be more than adequate but...a coupled skid like the K-mod or timber sled with the handle bar mounted Adjustable Remote Coupling seems like it would be an incredible combo. The ARC alone seems over priced for what it is (although I see they have a budget version for this year). And the coupled skids seem lacking now that I have this idea in my head of always being able to adjust the degree of coupling on the fly. I typically leave my sleds bone stock but some improvements to the skid seem like they could be one of the biggest gains on the G4. Maybe similar results can be achieved with a coil over shock in the skid?

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
With all the talk about aftermarket shocks I'm surprised no one has mentioned these other skid modifications. The Adjustable Remote Coupling (ARC) is basically technology borrowed from the mountain biking industry and uses a rear mounted skid shock with a handle bar mounted switch (think dropper post on a bike)that controls the amount of lock out of the rear shock. You can adjust the degree of coupling on the fly.

Picture dropping steep tree lines laying deep downhill carves and then needing to lift the skis and wheelie over a creek at the bottom =>lowest setting of coupling (stock)

Then on the other side of the creek immediately needing to navigate into a technical sidehill through some tight trees where more control is required => flip switch to setting 2 for more coupling.

Then getting cliff'd/tree'd out and needing to make an emergency **** hook and pin it up some steep exposed long climb to safety => flip switch to #3 pin it and pull the hill with (near) full coupled skid and controlled ski lift.

Rinse and Repeat all day with out getting off the sled to adjust coupling blocks.

I love this concept. The price seems very inflated for what you get however, and at the end of the day you still have stock shocks in the stock skid (no proper reinforcements is also a concern).

http://www.skinzprotectivegear.com/snowmobileproductad/arc.html
http://www.skinzprotectivegear.com/images/361_IMG_3260.JPG

Now picture a full K-mod skid. Here is the turn key Ski-Doo skid for the T3 but there is a G4 one in the works.

http://www.kmodsnowmobileparts.com/ski-doo/ski-doo-xp-154-turn-key-skid

The K-Mod has Raptor 20 position compression clicker shocks and billet adjustable coupling blocks. While the coupling blocks are easy enough to stop and adjust, I've got handle bar controlled coupling stuck on the brain. So what I'm saying is picture the K-Mod turn key skid with the handle bar operated adjustable coupling. Would this not be the shizznitt!!??

Anyone else catchin what I'm laying down here? IMO improvements to the rear skid like this are the single biggest gain to be had on the G4 for those of us that want to keep our warranty intact and are only interested in non-aesthetic functional mods.

Cans, wraps, turbo's blah blah blah

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
This would be a top quality skid... much more durable with higher quality components... and the couple-on... couple-off feature at your command, while riding, without removing your hands from the bars... the cats-pajamas IMO.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Had to do the skid deal with my 250-300 hp super and turbocharged Yamahas. 165 to maybe hopefully 170HP give me a break get some good shocks and tune the skid its like riding baby sleds just can't see the problem:face-icon-small-dis

Premium Features