• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

best way to remove foam from side panels

C
Oct 28, 2010
You have to start with a flat head screwdriver to get the foam with the adhesive to lift as one. Then once it's started it will pull off nicely.
If it's in a place that's doesn't have a decal on the other side then you can use a heat gun to reactive the glue. It will then be easier to remove the foam.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
Use acetone to get remaining adhesive off. If you don't have acetone mineral spirits or denatured alcohol work. In a bind I've even used WD-40.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Why?

What is the advantage of removing the foam? How much weight are you actually taking off the sled?:face-icon-small-dis

C
Feb 3, 2016
Alaska
What is the advantage of removing the foam? How much weight are you actually taking off the sled?:face-icon-small-dis

A Few pounds when dry, at best. When wet though, Id say tens of pounds.. The foam is like a sponge, then turns to an ice cube overnight if your on an overnight ride without a heated trailer/storage spot. I heard that its felt-like this year, like the wheel liners on 2014+ GM vehicles. Id say it works well to dampen aound and is a lot lighter than foam when wet/frozen. Thats just my .02 though

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
a little off track but when I picked my sled up yesterday it was wet. today I pulled the seat and thought it was awfully
heavy. turns out that seat foam holds water nicely

S
Dec 5, 2010
Sḵwxwú7mesh, BC
I peel them off when very cold .. the film of glue stays intact and peels off like a thin sticker.. no mess

on another thought .. if someone here has peeled off their foam .. can you do us a favor and soak them all in water, freeze them see how much it all weights ?

its for science !

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
That is a pointless test. The heat of the engine compartment would never allow that to happen. I never removed the foam on my stock T3 and I never had moisture in my engine compartment. If I did my spare goggles would have fogged immediately when you shut the engine off which is the exact opposite what happens when you put wet goggles in the engine compartment...

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I peeled the foam out of my xm at the end of last season and it was soaked. Before that, every time I put my goggles under the hood to defrost they'd come out fogged up and wet. I will definitely be peeling the stuff out of my G4!

Last edited:
B
Apr 4, 2008
NW MT
I think pulling the insulation is good. I'm gonna hold off on the stuff under the hood as I don't think it will get wet and it might help keep heat away from the air box to help with a cool dense charge to the intake?

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
That is a pointless test. The heat of the engine compartment would never allow that to happen. I never removed the foam on my stock T3 and I never had moisture in my engine compartment. If I did my spare goggles would have fogged immediately when you shut the engine off which is the exact opposite what happens when you put wet goggles in the engine compartment...

I am dead wrong on this one. Checked out the foam today after a long ride in deep snow and there must be 5 gallons of water in all the foam! I peeled it out of both doors very easily with no heat.

Premium Features