• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Engine oil??????

Nov 28, 2007
Vernon
Automotive oils are a no no for several reasons especially automotive synthetic's
You must have a motorcycle dealer somewhere near you that can sell you a case of motul

WakeGD

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
Automotive oils are a no no for several reasons especially automotive synthetic's
You must have a motorcycle dealer somewhere near you that can sell you a case of motul

Why would something such as Mobil 1 synthetic be a bad idea?
I was just headed out the door to buy some oil and this was at the top of my list.

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO

Please, enlighten us as to why the auto synthetics are a no no for these motors........

There's no wet clutch like a motorcycle, so even the energy conserving oil may be a player.....???:confused:

H

hurricane2

Nov 27, 2007
Please, enlighten us as to why the auto synthetics are a no no for these motors........

There's no wet clutch like a motorcycle, so even the energy conserving oil may be a player.....???:confused:

All that power your apex makes must pass through a gear set to get from the crank to the clutch. Automotive engines dont transmit their torque through a set of gears, so automotive motor oil has no extreme pressure additives to protect the pressure of the gear teeth from shearing the oil molecules apart, ruining the oil. If you change it often no problem, but dont let it go.
The second reason is the super slick "energy conserving" additives that get you better gas mileage in your car can make the one-way bearing in the starter cluth slip and then grab, ruining it over time.

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
All that power your apex makes must pass through a gear set to get from the crank to the clutch. Automotive engines dont transmit their torque through a set of gears, so automotive motor oil has no extreme pressure additives to protect the pressure of the gear teeth from shearing the oil molecules apart, ruining the oil. If you change it often no problem, but dont let it go.
The second reason is the super slick "energy conserving" additives that get you better gas mileage in your car can make the one-way bearing in the starter cluth slip and then grab, ruining it over time.

If you have ever taken a starter mechanism apart in an RX1/Apex and seen how it functions you will realize your statement doesn't make much sense.

L

Linc

Nov 17, 2002
Pemberton
www.visionms.ca

2nd that,the shear quality of automotive oils isn't designed to handle gears smashing together,,,now this isn't to say that automotive oil hasn't worked,just that it wasn't designed for the gears or the sprag clutch for the starter.:(

Motul 0/40 has been designed for a motorcycle engine,smashing gears and starter clutches,and that's my personal favorite,0 for cold weather staring and the 40 for the extra protection for the rod bearings and the extra heat that the turbo engine produces.:D

R
Jan 4, 2004
Ok so the local Polaris Dealer has some 0/40W full synthetic..That is what they use in their 4 strokes.. Everyone recomends 0/30w. Wouldn't 0/40 help protect, or would it be too thick..

Thanks
Tony

L

Linc

Nov 17, 2002
Pemberton
www.visionms.ca
I've been running the 0/40 for a couple years,doesn't hinder starting and the slightly thicker viscosity would,in my opinion,have a bit more protection from damaging bearings under big boost situations.I've seen rod bearings get greased from pre-ignition,so I see that as being a bit of a weak spot in the system.

H

hurricane2

Nov 27, 2007
If you have ever taken a starter mechanism apart in an RX1/Apex and seen how it functions you will realize your statement doesn't make much sense.

I know exactly how one of these clutches functions. If the oil has friction modifiers and is super slick the cam shaped bearings will not grab the ring gear surface as well when the starter turns it. How do you think it works?

Premium Features