• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fuel Filter Replacement for 900 - HELP!!

E
Nov 26, 2007
Covington, WA
So my 975 was running like crap for the first ride of the year, I thought it was bad gas since I have to run 50-50 race or the moter will retard. I drained the gas and found sludge in the bottom of the tank.

The tank comes right off but the you have to remove the filter to get the tank totally off and I want to replace the filter anyway. What tool do you need to get that filter off and do you think I should change it?

We had 3 feet of pow last weekend in WA and I had to ride the wifes 600 because my sled would not run.

Uhmm first off, you said you had sludge in the bottom of your tank and your wondering if you should change the filter...uhmmm.... i don't think you've had enough time to think about that if your asking others.

As for getting the fittings off. Goto your local parts store and get a set of air conditioning / gas line disconnect "tools" Come in a pack of 5-7, they're just a small plastic round ring with a lip and a split down the side. Pick the one that'll slide into the connection, press firmly into, and the fitting should separate with a slight pull.

P.S. Don't have any little kids around when you go to get those lines off. I guarantee you'll drop a half a dozen or more F-bombs! It's not good times. But they will come off.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Sludge at the bottom could be the remnants of the fuel gauge float....

Did you get the update done that replaces the float? Those have been disentegrating and a factory notice was sent out to the dealers.

Also, if it is running like crap, the filters on these things are not great and you may want to pull the motor and have the injectors flow checked... Those 975's are expensive if you burn down from a lean burn condition caused by a partially plugged injector.

The lines come off easily with the disconnect tool (auto parts stores)

Make sure to relieve the pump pressure after you replace the filter and prime the system before you try to fire it up again.

Here is the text of the fuel float issue.

Polaris has determined that the fuel pump sender floats used on the snowmobiles listed in the affected models table (see below)
can deteriorate. The float particles generated by the deterioration can contaminate the fuel system including the fuel filter and fuel
injectors. Fuel system contamination from these particles can cause reduced engine performance, and may cause engine and/or
exhaust system damage.
Polaris has developed two kits to repair the issue on affected units. The first kit, PN 2203447, is designed for affected snowmobiles
with 1000 (1600 Km) or more miles on the odometer. The repair kit consists of a new fuel pump sender float and a new fuel
filter.
The second kit, PN 2203424, is for affected snowmobiles with less than 1000 miles (1600 Km) on the odometer. This kit will only
consist of a new fuel pump sender float.

Last edited:
E
Nov 26, 2007
Covington, WA
Thanks guy's,

I did get the update on the float but now my elect fuel guage goes to empty after about 10 miles. I'll buy the tool tomorrow but now I'm thinking about the injectors. Hmm.

How do you prime the fuel pump?

P
Nov 27, 2007
My dealer said the fuel rail will remain charged after you disconnect the fuel filter. I pulled my motor this summer and it restarted fine when i put it back together. I haven't ridden it yet and i didn't prime the fuel pump. Will i have have problems with the sled when i actually ride it?

I have a couple inches of snow around my house so i'll try to open it up a little.

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
i just change my fuel filter, actually i converted it to use a gm fuel filter it is bigger and cheaper to buy. but anyhow. i also put pistons and stuff in. when i started it it took 5 or 6 pulls and it started. i had a small fuel leak so i pulled the filter off and fixed it and then restarted and it took 2 pulls.

J
Nov 29, 2007
Sludge at the bottom could be the remnants of the fuel gauge float....

Did you get the update done that replaces the float? Those have been disentegrating and a factory notice was sent out to the dealers.

Also, if it is running like crap, the filters on these things are not great and you may want to pull the motor and have the injectors flow checked... Those 975's are expensive if you burn down from a lean burn condition caused by a partially plugged injector.

The lines come off easily with the disconnect tool (auto parts stores)

Make sure to relieve the pump pressure after you replace the filter and prime the system before you try to fire it up again.

Here is the text of the fuel float issue.

Polaris has determined that the fuel pump sender floats used on the snowmobiles listed in the affected models table (see below)
can deteriorate. The float particles generated by the deterioration can contaminate the fuel system including the fuel filter and fuel
injectors. Fuel system contamination from these particles can cause reduced engine performance, and may cause engine and/or
exhaust system damage.
Polaris has developed two kits to repair the issue on affected units. The first kit, PN 2203447, is designed for affected snowmobiles
with 1000 (1600 Km) or more miles on the odometer. The repair kit consists of a new fuel pump sender float and a new fuel
filter.
The second kit, PN 2203424, is for affected snowmobiles with less than 1000 miles (1600 Km) on the odometer. This kit will only
consist of a new fuel pump sender float.

mthorse;just wondering if it would do any good to run the injector cleaner you dump in the tank? would it be a wast of money or worse yet cause more problems?

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
You need the tools as most have said. What I find interesting is you must not have ever changed your fuel filter on any late model car or truck either? They use the same fittings as the sled does and need to be changed often as well. Diesel guys do it all the time why don't everyone on cars/trucks and sleds?

Should be changing that every year regardless, fuel these days is something next to nasty no matter where you get it.

crix

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
SaVaGe, MiNnEsOtA
I wonder if you could get to the injectors with the tank off and not have to pull the motor. Or does the jackshaft get in the way? Pulling the motor is easy though I'm down to about 30 minutes out and about 45 back in.

Premium Features