• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Xp and 07 Doo problems

S
Nov 28, 2007
Ok is it just me or is this total BS whats going on with Doo?
Im seeing guys talking about blowing 3 and 4 belts the first 100 miles on thier 08 Xp's ..I have a 07 and heard all the problems about these too ...so far so good with mine but still. This is CRAP!
How can a company put out a 10K machine and nothing but problems? 3 belts?
THATS 400 BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! INSANE!!!!
I would have a frickin bird! Like what the hell is going on that BRP isnt responsible for every gooodamm belt that goes? I mean I am no sled guru but I would lose it if I bought a brand new car and it kept blowing alternator belts like they were made of rubber?
WHAT THE HELL IS THE DEAL!!!!!! Guess the XP'S arent the end all be all ...YET!

TALK TO ME BRP!!!!!!!!! or others that want to chime in

Oh and Venting!!!! What the hell is with that? Where the hell does BRP think I ride ? in frickin saskatchewan with my brand new XP "Mountain" sled (No offense sask) Get it together DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! Vent the sled like it needs to be DUH!!!

O
Nov 27, 2007
Western Wyoming
The real question that needs addressed is how many folks take the time to break in the new belt correctly ?........

Or how many guy's buy a brand new $125.00 belt install the new belt and hammer the throttle rather the slowly break in the belt for the 1st 30 miles.......Or how many guy's install a new belt but don't clean the sheaves prior to installing the new belt.

OT

D

dieseldog800

Nov 24, 2005
Bancroft, Nebraska
You are so right OT! I started cleaning the new belts as well as the clutches with hot soapy water on my last two new sleds quite often and I am now a firm believer that it works! Belts are too flippin expensive to not take such a simple precautionary step to make my belts last longer.

Hotboat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, MT.
The real question that needs addressed is how many folks take the time to break in the new belt correctly ?........

Or how many guy's buy a brand new $125.00 belt install the new belt and hammer the throttle rather the slowly break in the belt for the 1st 30 miles.......Or how many guy's install a new belt but don't clean the sheaves prior to installing the new belt.

OT
I 2nd that!!!!!!!!

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
i have never broke in a belt.but sounds like i will if i ever buy a skidoo.

Last edited:

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I suppose I can see how breaking in a belt may help the life, but the shear number of instances that it has happened to the new Doos seems to be a little strange to me. Also, why would they not be breaking just as easily on every other make and model of machine if it was just simply consumer laziness?

I am not looking to start a brand bashing party here, it justs makes me wonder what is up with the new Doos:confused:

Last edited:
K

kodpkd

Nov 28, 2007
Loveland, CO
I have had 6 doo's. Never blown a belt. But then I break them in, & keep them cool... Do you think the EPA has anything to do the cooling issue? If you open up the sides for cooling from the factory,, they would never pass the sound limits. Do you think they put all that foam in the sled just for fun? Every one knows you must do the venting yourself. Well I guess some don't. Be good to your belts & they wont blow.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I'm not going to say that break in doesn't work......

But I've never broken in any belt or washed one for that matter, and I've never had the issues the poor Doo guys have. There has to be more to the problem than just not proper break in. Seems too easy to blame it on the user, instead of improper setup/mfr issues.

T

trench

Nov 28, 2007
Maybe doo should admit it.

I have had 6 doo's. Never blown a belt. But then I break them in, & keep them cool... Do you think the EPA has anything to do the cooling issue? If you open up the sides for cooling from the factory,, they would never pass the sound limits. Do you think they put all that foam in the sled just for fun? Every one knows you must do the venting yourself. Well I guess some don't. Be good to your belts & they wont blow.

And the dealers should be aware !!!, and stop being told to denie any problems....
Can anyone tell me how you are going to break in a belt in the back country where there is only one way out 3' of powder .. tell me (helli lift ) or replace your belt ride easy for 5 min. then pinn it to get out ....
For this reason I didn't by a new doo !:rolleyes:

G
Dec 17, 2002
North Bend, Washington

OT

I did 26 miles yesterday on a new belt in three feet of fresh, (M7) they should not have the customers and snowest figureing out there clutching issues

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Sounds like 05,06,O7 all over again...FIRST year sled from whoever is always gonna be YOU figuring out THERE problems..Think we would of learned eh???

S
Nov 28, 2007
excellent comments...break in the belt eh?
Hummm ..I have heard the issues about cleaning the clutches and making sure all the "oil" is off them before you start riding (Why I am doing it I will never know...10K) but what exactly is breaking in the belt HAHA Never heard of "breaking in" a belt in anything else before ...why sleds? What I am saying is there are"alot" of people saying "well blew 2 more belts" Thats crazy...if it is because their oily, why wouldnt anyone tell a guy that before he heads out? Just alot of really wierd stuff going on with doo...not very happy thats for sure....I am certainly not the only one that thinks this way :)

Love the product once its dialed in but why do WE have to do the dialing at our own expense? Thats my question?

oh and can someone tell me what "breaking in" a belt is supposed to do? Come on ...clean, yes but "break in" ?

Last edited:

Shermanator

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous
www.reelfishingadventues.net
Don't know what its supposed to do but if it saves buying new ones then so be it! Almost 900 miles on my first belt and just changed it out because it won't adjust anymore on the secondary, other than that its in great shape! Sherm

O
Nov 27, 2007
Western Wyoming
excellent comments...break in the belt eh?
Hummm ..I have heard the issues about cleaning the clutches and making sure all the "oil" is off them before you start riding (Why I am doing it I will never know...10K) but what exactly is breaking in the belt HAHA Never heard of "breaking in" a belt in anything else before ...why sleds? What I am saying is there are"alot" of people saying "well blew 2 more belts" Thats crazy...if it is because their oily, why wouldnt anyone tell a guy that before he heads out? Just alot of really wierd stuff going on with doo...not very happy thats for sure....I am certainly not the only one that thinks this way :)

Love the product once its dialed in but why do WE have to do the dialing at our own expense? Thats my question?

oh and can someone tell me what "breaking in" a belt is supposed to do? Come on ...clean, yes but "break in" ?

2008 XP operation guide page 77 "Break In Period"........BELT: A new drive belt requires a break in period of 50 km (30 miles). Avoid strong acceleration/decelerations, pulling a load or high speed cruising.

2006 Skidoo RT1000 operation guide page 97 "Break In Period"........Belt: A new drive belt requires a break in period of 50 KM (30 miles). Avoid strong acceleration/decelerations, pulling a load or high speed cruising.

2006 Arctic Cat operation guide page 61..........Drive Belts have a break in period of approximately 20 miles. After installing a new drive belt drive the snowmobile for 20 miles at 1/2 throttle or less. This will allow the drive belt to gain it's optimum flexability and will extend drive belt life

2004 Skidoo ZX and Rev operations guide page 152......Belts: A new drive belt requires a break in period of 50 km (30 miles). Avoid strong acceleration/decelerations, pullin a load or high speed cruising.

OT

S
Nov 28, 2007
Well I guess we can make excuses for BRP all day if you wantt o but the fact still remains that even with the breakin guys are still blowing up belts...I have been riding for 6 years and have NEVER had me or anyone I ride with break a belt so whats with all the rest of the guys? Also
Manual syas to run mineral oil in my sled and we all know what was going on with that ....dont neccessarily take the manual as "the word" either

F
Nov 26, 2007
My 98 got 2800 miles on belt,My 2004 got 2000 mile s on original belt,My 05 has 4000 miles original belt.I think I got break in figured out.My 07 POS got 4 blown belts in 490 miles same exact rider same exact areas.Now the interesting thing is I put a tra3 on it and rode this weekend,no heat or beltdust.But far be it for me to complain about a Doo product.

I even ran into a rep at the Snow show,Promised to get back to me personaly or through customer service.Now it has only been 2 weeks,but I wouldn't leave him alone until I got his card and cell #.So if I don't get a call in week 4,everyone on the internet will have his name and #:D

K

khaddon2110

Aug 17, 2006
Idaho
Mineral Oil.......what page of the operation manual states to use mineral oil ?

OT

Page 181 of the 07 800R manual says use XP-S mineral injection oil.

Dealer says full sythetic or blend. I just laughed and bought the mineral. If it were a big problem, Doo would take the time and send the owners an update to the manual.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
I think it comes down to ski wax.
More resistance when running dry skis, the Cranks aren't designed to handle it.

Check Chapter 13, sectioln 69 paragraph 666 for the factory recommendations on pinecone-resistant wax applicae.

;-)

MD.

Premium Features