• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RAW running board mod/snow eliminators

H
Dec 4, 2007
NW
Has anyone just cut between the holes and created some slots in order to get a bigger opening for the snow to escape on the stock running boards for the RAW chassis. I have read all the threads on the aftermaket versions available but was wondering it this will work as a poor man's version. Also I don't jump my sled hard and do not see the need for them to be stiffer.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Yikes

I don't know man...what you cut on in the existing board is pretty thin and weak. A new tunnel bulkhead from Polaris is about $1700 if things go wrong. I'd just buck up and spend the $150 on the cheapest Better Boards or leave them as is and suffer. Nobody else makes anything viable for that chassis so you really only get one choice. After building these things and going through all of the hassles of manufacturing $150 doesn't really seem like near enough!

(coming from a guy who has hacked up alot of RAW IQ's)

B

Bull

Jan 20, 2004
colorado
wouldn't even THINK about cutting the boards unless you are going to go with something you are going to add in addition to cutting.

2mileshigh

Nov 26, 2007
Just buy robs better boards, put a set on my edge, strong and look great.

K

kmo

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
The stock running boards are very thin, don't even attempt that. Buy the Better Boards and be done with it. You will thanks us later. Send beer. Dark beer. Lot's of it.

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
You need them to be more rigid whether you jump or not. It makes the sled handle better in terms of rigidity. More confidence building feel.

Just get the boards, install them and never look back. Otherwise simply stay with what is stock. I would do one or the other but not what you were suggesting.

RSI Snow pegs

Has anyone just cut between the holes and created some slots in order to get a bigger opening for the snow to escape on the stock running boards for the RAW chassis. I have read all the threads on the aftermaket versions available but was wondering it this will work as a poor man's version. Also I don't jump my sled hard and do not see the need for them to be stiffer.

I wouldn't recomend cutting holes as it will obviously weaken your running boards, but you do have other options. RSI actually offers a snow peg for just this issue. The snow pegs are sold in pairs for about $30 and allow you to remove matterial from your running boards without weakening your tunnel. Also since snow pegs are not an entire running board it allows you use as few or as many as you would like spaced how you want. You can visit http://www.highmarkrec.com and go to the accessory page of the online store.

K

kmo

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
I wouldn't recomend cutting holes as it will obviously weaken your running boards, but you do have other options. RSI actually offers a snow peg for just this issue. The snow pegs are sold in pairs for about $30 and allow you to remove matterial from your running boards without weakening your tunnel. Also since snow pegs are not an entire running board it allows you use as few or as many as you would like spaced how you want. You can visit http://www.highmarkrec.com and go to the accessory page of the online store.

Your website isn't working to well right now........

K

kmo

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
Acted like it was loading the pages with the accessories, but nothing would come up.

It's now working for me.

Last edited:

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Cuttin'

Highmarker, two observations.

1. After last season, my riding boots are cut up on the bottom outside so badly that I don't know if they will get me thru this season. This is from "pawing" out all the snow/ice buildup and running the boots down the outside of the running board.

2. After installing BB's, my foot now rest FLAT in the floorboard well, instead of being ****ed at an angle. Much more comfy. Also, the surface is aggresive enough for great traction, without having to be nearly razor sharp like the small cutouts on the stock boards.

I know money is what it is, but it's a great return for 150, and when I was looking at trading a sled this year with BB's on it, the offer went up 200 bucks when they saw the "cool boards". These are Powcoated red to match the sled, so 200 didn't cover everything, but sure came close!

Good luck! Bagger:beer;

Premium Features