• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WE WEIGH THE 17S: SKI-DOO SUMMIT X 850 VS. POLARIS 800 PRO-RMK 174 LE

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
http://www.snowest.com/2016/04/skidoo-summit-x-850-etec

5499_1600.jpg

The advantage of working for SnoWest Magazine is that we usually get to spend a little extra time on the new snowmobiles in the spring before they are officially released in the fall.
That was the case with the Ski-Doo Summit X 850 E-Tec and the Polaris 800 Pro-RMK 174 LE.

Although we have spent more time on the Summit 850, we have still been able to get both these 2017 snowmobiles on the snow at the same time and see what we like and dislike about them … and there are far more things that we like than we dislike.

2107DooPolaris_5511_1600.jpg_1600.jpg

First to note is that our
Summit 850 had a 165x3-inch track and the Pro-RMK LE had the 174x3-inch track.
But when you factor in the 16-inch-wide track of the Ski-Doo compared to the 15-inch-wide track of the Polaris, both would have basically the same footprint in the snow.

Weight wise, the Summit tips the scales fully fueled (and full of oil) at 536 pounds and the Polaris weighs out fully fueled and oiled at 535 pounds … again, pretty much even.

5509_1600.jpg_600.jpg

On the snow, you definitely notice the increased power and engine performance on the Summit.
Both feel about the same on initial throttle engagement, however, the Summit seems to just keep creating power.

During our tests when climbing in steep terrain, the Polaris seems to do a much better job keeping its track in the snow while the Ski-Doo tends to pick up the skis a little more … and lift the front of the track.
This results in losing traction on the steep part of the mountain, thus losing some ability to climb to its full potential. The Polaris definitely outclimbed the Ski-Doo. We’ll have to work a little on the Ski-Doo’s weight transfer to get more track in the snow.

Yet, when you’re carving through trees or down the trail in spring-like conditions, you certainly feel much more track push on the Polaris.
The Ski-Doo is much easier turning in packed snow.

The 2017 Summit’s highlights include: Rotax 850 E-Tec engine, Rev platform, PDrive clutch, tMotion rear suspension and a Powdermax Light track with Flexedge.

The 2017 Pro-RMK LE features include: Cleanfire H.O. engine, raised AXYS RMK chassis, Walker Evans Piggyback shocks, ProTaper handlebars and a Series 7 3-inch track.

We’ll continue riding these two snowmobiles throughout the spring in order to provide a full review in next fall’s issues of SnoWest Magazine.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
That pic makes the G4 backend look likes its 2 ft taller than the axys. Was it on a block?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
If we are comparing 165s an 174s on the scale because they have the same foot print then come winter when we are talking about which sled climbs better we better also be comparing the 165 to the 174. Also worth noting the Poo has 2 gallons/12 more pounds of fuel. I think making the fuel tank smaller was a very poor excuse to lose weight, whether or not the fuel economy is good.

Nice to be able to see some wet weights regardless.

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
If we are comparing 165s an 174s on the scale because they have the same foot print then come winter when we are talking about which sled climbs better we better also be comparing the 165 to the 174. Also worth noting the Poo has 2 gallons/12 more pounds of fuel. I think making the fuel tank smaller was a very poor excuse to lose weight, whether or not the fuel economy is good.

Then the door guys like me have to buy $150 gas can. A guy has to ride pretty hard to run a etec out of gas. I have only done it a couple times

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho

Yes, 2 gallons more fuel, Plus the LE comes with piggyback shocks, 3 bags, GPS gauge, heavier duty bumpers (front and rear) . .. all adding more weight. That is why if you want to know what the SLED itself weighs. . .you weigh them DRY. . . with NO extras :)

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
The question I have. Can anyone really feel 20lbs difference? When you hit the snow in the morning do you hurry and burn all your fuel so you can ride a "light" sled. A hard day of riding burns 50 lbs of fuel. Can you even tell the sled is 50 lbs lighter? I would bet if skidoo had advertised a dry weight of 405 lbs people would suddenly believe it was the best sled ever because now it's so light. Who's to say Polaris isn't fudging the weights a bit? Their website says "approximate" weight. So does that mean +/- 15lbs? Everyone is crowing about dry weights and yet I've never seen a true dry weight comparison. Show us real numbers of 100% dry sleds. No oil, coolant, shock oil, or gas and then we can talk. My big fat Xm feels lighter than my pro in certain snow conditions. Chassis geometry has more to do with a sleds "lightweight" feel than actual weight to a certain degree.

Last edited:

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
The question I have. Can anyone really feel 20lbs difference? When you hit the snow in the morning do you hurry and burn all your fuel so you can ride a "light" sled. A hard day of riding burns 50 lbs of fuel. Can you even tell the sled is 50 lbs lighter? I would bet if skidoo had advertised a dry weight of 405 lbs people would suddenly believe it was the best sled ever because now it's so light. Who's to say Polaris isn't fudging the weights a bit? Their website says "approximate" weight. So does that mean +/- 15lbs? Everyone is crowing about dry weights and yet I've never seen a true dry weight comparison. Show us real numbers of 100% dry sleds. No oil, coolant, shock oil, or gas and then we can talk. My big fat Xm feels lighter than my pro in certain snow conditions. Chassis geometry has more to do with a sleds "lightweight" feel than actual weight to a certain degree.

20 lbs . . .probably not. 50 lbs...probably so.
But you do make some great points up there, my friend :)

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
the doo prolly just has the front limiters all the way out with the back 1/2 of track in the air. the article does mention front end lift, and the poo feeling pushed by the extra length.... classic symptoms. would be nice to see results after suspension tweaks but i guess some folks just ride em how they get em and shrug their shoulders...

N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
save weight

obviously the easiest mod on both sled to save weight is a can.. I dropped 13 lbs off my axys w one. the doo g4 has a lighter than usual can for stock but aftermarket will beat it too. add the tki belt drive swap to doo and that's another 8-10 lbs and lotta rotation mass gone too I see 15-20 lbs on both sleds being dropped so easy! can and tki kit w clutching will b first mods my g4 sees! then exit shocks and possible bm fab boards as they come out

There's no doubt that I can feel the burned fuel weight difference in my 14 XM at the end of the day. But it works out well, because towards the end of the day, I'm getting tired, and the 30-50 pound weight loss helps my tired body cope with the fatigue.... does that make me sound 'old'?

Premium Features