• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Blower belt problems

Dec 1, 2007
livingston MT
I got a apex with a stage one mpi charger one it..ever since we got it i have been having problems keeping the belt from waring out. MAIN problem is the charger is mounted to the chassie and the moter is rubber mounted..that cauzes binding and messes with the blet tension..SECOND problem is the belt is to long and i think it slaps when the motor get to moving and the belt gets to floping. at least this is what im guesssing..i have talked to MPI and they cant get me a shorter belt so i talked to all the local parts houses and cant find nothing...i avridge about a blet for every 3 or 4 rides...any one else have this problem?

ps. i have tigtened the belt to mpi specks and it still does this..and the tighter you get it the closer it gets to smaking its slef...its gettin a little old haha

O

obile

Jan 17, 2003
walla walla wa
i had the same problem first time out on mine. talked to some others and was told to run the belt tighter. i tightened it down to where you cant hardly push it closer with your finger and havent had to touch it in 500 miles.this thing has to be tighter than cheott!

WakeGD

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
Ditto, crank up the tightness on the belt! It needs to be much tighter than you'd think would be necessary.
If it is getting worse when you attempt to tighten you might have another issue.

C
Dec 5, 2001
Colorado Springs, CO
You should only see about 1/4" of thread on the adjuster bolt. It will seem entirely too tight but that's what works, 3 years ago I fragged a belt and since then, no problems.

In the pic, you can't see the bolt, but the belt distance.

10-1-074.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2007
livingston MT
sweet guys thanks for the help.. ill titen ur up more..its pretty tight now but i got nothing to lose....i just put my boost gage on and im gona see what is boostn and ill see about gettin a bigger pully on the bottom that will keep here even farther apart

B
Dec 22, 2002
Billings, MT
I don't run the blower belt past the MPI specs and I have never blown that belt on my RX-1. Are you sure that the pullies are pefectly alligned? Mine actually shredded the one right next to the battery. Just so you guys know; that one is adjustable also (found this out when I called to ask MPI how to get the new belt on there). You need to loosen up all the allen bolts holding the SC in the billet bracket and it will rotate to allow tension adjustment. If you have any miles on the unit and weren't aware of this adjustment; you might want to pull the intercooler and check it.

BTW mine blew with 1300 miles on the kit. My belt that's visible is still perfect but I now keep a spare of each in my windshield bag.

Jim

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2007
livingston MT
i got my boost gauge on and it didnt impress me..so im gettin a bigger pully for the bottom..that will cure my boost problem and my belt slaping problem...hopfully..but ill check the pullys and see if there alighned

Dec 1, 2007
livingston MT
thats a good deal. are they the same widths? if so i wonder if u could buy one that would fit my apex. i just put my sled back together and a tighted the pizz outa that belt..i carry a spar one so its all good...going riding tomorrow so ill see..haha cant wait!

Premium Features