• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Viper - MUST DO!

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I know it makes no sense but Cat/Yamaha put a spring in the front skid shock that soft beyond belief. T&T Motorsports in Wyoming is putting a 180# spring in the 2 stroke M8 and the Viper has a 110# spring! Has to be one of the biggest mistakes in Viper build, followed by the radiator fan blowing air straight in to the air box opening....lol.... but we can address that in another post.

Get a 160 or 180 pound spring from Zbroz and your Viper is like a new machine. It will dance like an M8 and not trench like it does now. Am I crazy? Maybe, but what if an 80 dollar spring gets you a machine that handles like an M8? Worth the gamble eh?

Please note that with the stock spring you get almost no transfer so putting on a turbo makes the ski lift and handling worse.

Put on Zbroz spring, takes 15 minutes at most. Spin collars down on shock, take out top shock bolt tilt back, put on new spring. Run collars up till contact and two full turns to start. Set rear float to 90 to 100 pounds air. When correct you can pick the skis up off the ground by hand. (takes some effort of course)

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
WOW. This made a big difference for my 2015 Viper. I installed a 160lb spring from Zbroz Racing. It handles even better now. The ski pressure is what I noticed most. Turning the handlebars on heavy snow was easy. This is a must for these viper. Thanks again for your post. I let my cat and doo friends ride it and they were amazed by it.

IMG_3399.jpg IMG_3602.jpg IMG_3044.jpg IMG_5209.jpg

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
Stingray719,
When you changed air direction on your fan, did you also wire it to blow all the time? I was thinking of doing it but with a toggle switch. I'm also going to install a 4 inch radiator fan on the turbo side to pull heat out. I might be over going it with the extra fan but I'm going going to try it.
Thanks

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Stingray719,
When you changed air direction on your fan, did you also wire it to blow all the time? I was thinking of doing it but with a toggle switch. I'm also going to install a 4 inch radiator fan on the turbo side to pull heat out. I might be over going it with the extra fan but I'm going going to try it.
Thanks

Sharp, let me make a separate post for the fan reverse and I will answer it there.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
So I found this thread about the Cat guys going from 40 to 38" and 38 to 36" front ends. It talks about NOT shortening your shocks making a lighter front end feel when narrowing it up. http://www.snowest.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-401653.html

When boondocking through the tight trees on a packed track or spring snow, my shoulders and elbows are spent in no time at all! It feels like this chassis has no mechanical advantage in the steering system!

I've already done the center track spring upgrade and still need more. It looks like one downside is it increases weight transfer bullying up the front end. I have the Zbroz Kiss coupler, so keeping the front end down wouldn't be a problem.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
So I found this thread about the Cat guys going from 40 to 38" and 38 to 36" front ends. It talks about NOT shortening your shocks making a lighter front end feel when narrowing it up. http://www.snowest.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-401653.html

When boondocking through the tight trees on a packed track or spring snow, my shoulders and elbows are spent in no time at all! It feels like this chassis has no mechanical advantage in the steering system!

I've already done the center track spring upgrade and still need more. It looks like one downside is it increases weight transfer bullying up the front end. I have the Zbroz Kiss coupler, so keeping the front end down wouldn't be a problem.

In my opinion you do NOT want any couplers. The ones I know of limit transfer and that causes heavy front feel when you hit the coupler limits.

Our red Viper we put Hygear chambers on but modified the rear skid existing bracket to fit the Hygear so we would not have the couplers Hygear sells.

On our red Viper I put the Zbroz upper arms and 2016 spindles so I could keep the 38 inch front and use the 38 inch shocks.

Install: I was not pleased that I had to drill out the bolt holes on the arms to accept the Viper bolts but no big deal. Took longer to drill out bolt holes than to install the kit.

AMAZING improvement to Viper handling. We took both Vipers out one with stock 38 inch front and the other described above. Zbroz arms one was easy steering like power steering easy and would lay over VERY easy yet predictable.

Price was around $550.00 for arms and spindles I do not remember exact amount but I though it priced well.

One other thought, this chassis seems to not like aggressive skis. I would recommend trying the Polaris Gripper or equivalent and see if that helps.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
In my opinion you do NOT want any couplers. The ones I know of limit transfer and that causes heavy front feel when you hit the coupler limits.

Our red Viper we put Hygear chambers on but modified the rear skid existing bracket to fit the Hygear so we would not have the couplers Hygear sells.

On our red Viper I put the Zbroz upper arms and 2016 spindles so I could keep the 38 inch front and use the 38 inch shocks.

Install: I was not pleased that I had to drill out the bolt holes on the arms to accept the Viper bolts but no big deal. Took longer to drill out bolt holes than to install the kit.

AMAZING improvement to Viper handling. We took both Vipers out one with stock 38 inch front and the other described above. Zbroz arms one was easy steering like power steering easy and would lay over VERY easy yet predictable.

Price was around $550.00 for arms and spindles I do not remember exact amount but I though it priced well.

One other thought, this chassis seems to not like aggressive skis. I would recommend trying the Polaris Gripper or equivalent and see if that helps.

Ya I've already dumped the Slydog Powder hound 8" skis for the Poo Gripper. It definitely helped, but its still too much steering effort. I guess the next thing to try is remove the coupling block to see if it makes any difference. Our snow is nearing its end for the season. That makes a total of 3.5 rides for the year (chaincase engine oil sprung a leak). :mad:

Premium Features