• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2008 RMK 700 VS Tree. Nosepan and A arm lost. Help!

S

snowbie

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
Been lurking for awhile now. I ran into a tree on my new RMK 700. (long story) The RMK didn't like it too much. Munched the left A arm and cracked the nosepan (belly pan). Called the dealer - A arm was $120 and I ordered that... Nosepan was $209!!! For a little piece of plastic! I tried to glue it back together with some "plastic fusion" epoxy but it didn't seem to fuse anything... I've read that some plastics can't be glued. Does anyone know what this is made of? Any suggestions short of $200? Thanks...

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
taek 2 pieses of thick plastic or aluminum and make 2 panels to go the length of the crack. Then drill how ever many holes you need in each one and through the bell pan as well. Then rivit it or use bolts. Im not sure if this is clear or not but i hope it helps and thats what i did on my XLT when i hit a deliniator post doing about 40 wile sidehilling.

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
Call Max up Tri-City spend the $100 extra on his bumper then go hit the tree again WOT if it's 2'' or smaller it does not stand a chance any bigger and you will stop on a dime without a spendy parts bill. Works great for pushing the Ski-doo debris away as well after they hit those pinecones.

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Been lurking for awhile now. I ran into a tree on my new RMK 700. (long story) The RMK didn't like it too much. Munched the left A arm and cracked the nosepan (belly pan). Called the dealer - A arm was $120 and I ordered that... Nosepan was $209!!! For a little piece of plastic! I tried to glue it back together with some "plastic fusion" epoxy but it didn't seem to fuse anything... I've read that some plastics can't be glued. Does anyone know what this is made of? Any suggestions short of $200? Thanks...

Zip tie stitch. Drill holes in each side of the plastic and zip tie them together... looks like crap but costs you about 10 minutes of time and $.50 into a package of zip ties.

otherwise do yourself a favor and get the tri cities bumper!

B

Bull

Jan 20, 2004
colorado
i have not done it personally, but a number of dealers are plastic "welding". the local guys i know say it works great. you can find plastic welders i think through harbor freight or perhaps northern tool. they use them to repair the plastic bumpers that are on most cars today.

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
Depending on how bad the belly is...you can get "semi rigid" plastic repair at most any auto body/paint supply store. It is black after it mixes..it sets up quick within a couple minutes or less so you have to get everything set up and prepaired. After that do like "I own U" said and take another piece of plastic or alum. and rivit it on. Get a skid plate also....Does the word Tri Cities bumper ring a bell yet??

S

snowbie

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
Called tri city and they are about a week out on that bumper. I think I'll just try to rig it for now and nurse it along until they have them back in stock. $400 is a bunch of coin for that thing... I guess when you don't have any competition you can charge whatever you want.

crix

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
SaVaGe, MiNnEsOtA
I vote zip tie stitch Since it seems you have the same luck as me, so it's probably gonna happen again once you fix it. With the zip ties you get to keep 208 of the 209 it will cost

M
Nov 26, 2007
Okotoks
If you decide on plastic welding, make sure you use the same material as the bellypan. Take a piece of your welding material and weld the end somewhere on your bellypan. Let it cool and then try to pull it off. If it comes off easy it's not a match. Do this until the weld material actually sticks.
I took my dash to a local plastic welder here and rather than welding it for me he gave me a 5 hour lesson and I welded it myself. Anything can be used as welding material as long as it's the same type of plastic. We found a match with the different sheets of plastic he had in his shop and cut our own rods with his band saw. That way we could make a nice 1/2" wide welding rod. Try and create a V where the breaks are before you weld. Start by welding one end of the rod and push the rod towards the crack while aiming the plastic welder at the point where the rod and bellypan meet. Oh and make sure you don't melt right thru. :) I tried welding before I went to see this guy and tried heating and dragging the rod. Oops.
I bought a plastic welder from ebay (same as harbor freight) and it stopped working a few hours after I tried using it. Luckily they're cheap.

I'm definitely not an expert but this is what I learned. It's an art.

plastic welding.jpg

Last edited:
R
Sep 9, 2001
Boise, Idaho
Call Max up Tri-City spend the $100 extra on his bumper then go hit the tree again WOT if it's 2'' or smaller it does not stand a chance any bigger and you will stop on a dime without a spendy parts bill. Works great for pushing the Ski-doo debris away as well after they hit those pinecones.

Do what JW said and the next tree you hit it will bend the bulkhead.

K

kmo

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
I was at a buddy's house tonight, and we got on the subject of plastic welding. He bought his at Harbor Freight for about $29.00. Pretty easy to use, make sure you have the same plastic as was earlier mentioned.

I busted up my belly pan on my 05 900. Went to the dealer and got another one. Everything else seemed ok. Put everything together and went for a ride. Grabbed the front bumper to move the sled on the deck and almost ripped it completely off. Turns out the screw holes on the other plastic parts were stressed, and in turned stripped faster then your teen sister drinking a 4L cooler at a bush party. So now the options i have is aftermarket bumper or new fenders (both sides) belly pan and bumper... wonder what the dealer would charge for that...but for some reason that doesn't seem to matter...

Patch it for now, aftermarket bumper when you can get one... Just my 2cents:cool:

24drnkz

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bend, OR
Called tri city and they are about a week out on that bumper. I think I'll just try to rig it for now and nurse it along until they have them back in stock. $400 is a bunch of coin for that thing... I guess when you don't have any competition you can charge whatever you want.

Welcome to snowmobiling Snowbie.......................It's not cheap ;)

Premium Features