• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Reminder: ABS Inspection

D

deadcat

Nov 27, 2007
Castle Rock CO
Checked my pack yesterday morning and the handle was showing red. Not sure how long its been like that!!! If you have a pack check it!

In order to fill the air bag you always require both the white handle to activate the cartridge AND the cartridge to fill the air bags.

The white handle holds an explosive capsule whose energy activates the cartridge when broached. The cartridge contains pure nitrogen to prevent freezing even at extremely low temperatures.

Weight of content: Nitrogen approx. 75 g (2.6 oz)
Weight of the activation handle: approx. 65 g (2.3 oz)
Weight of the filled cartridge: approx. 465 g (16.4 oz)

Checking the filled cartridge: Prior to each use check weight and compare by re-weighing. Filled weight minus protective cap is indicated on the bottom of the cartridge.

Checking the activation handle: The handle must have a tight fit. When charged it protrudes exactly one centimeter from the plastic housing. A red sleeve must not be visible.

Last edited:

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
Good call! Make sure you're handle is in functioning order, otherwise your pack will be no good.

handle.jpg

Also, never fire your handle without the canister being installed; You could damage your pack.

Dunatic

MODERATOR: Paid Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Jan 24, 2003
Plain City, Utah
We did a test fire tonight on a freeride and the cartridge was not punctured all the way when the handle was pulled, I know I had the cartridge screwed in all the way, but the cartridge still has nitrogen in it. I have done a few already, so I know how to install it, I made sure the oring was seated and I gave the canister an extra tug, they have a definite stopping point when you screw them in, but the bags did not even fill half way.

I have a couple used canisters that I have compared this one to and the ones that worked have definite holes in the tops of the canister, this one does not.

Premium Features