• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Eliminating parts on XP

J
Nov 26, 2007
Denver
I found a few areas to drop parts from the new XP's.

IMG_0697.jpg

Remove plastic from belt gaurd and trim alum tabs off.

Remove tool kit holder and store under seat. Cut white plastic center bar from square opening under seat to allow the took kit to unroll, then hook toolkit under plastic tabs. (sorry no pics)

Tear off all foam, leave the heat foam on the right side for high temp can.

Remove plastic sound gaurd from right side of motor. I striped the foam off then cut it down to and reinstalled it to keep hoses and wires from bouncing around.
IMG_0692.jpg

Cut lower section from rear flap.

Drilled out the top of right foot well.
IMG_0691.jpg

S

SylvanLaker

Nov 26, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB. Canada
Looks like my garage floor!! I just put in a 19tooth gear to gear it down too! Can't wait to try it. I got Jaws pipes on the way! I took my clutches all apart too and cleaned all the grease out of them.. This is gonna be a sweet sled once it's setup..

S

SilverGriz

Oct 22, 2004
Hayden, ID
All of that work and you still have the stock can...get rid of the suitcase. It will save you 10 lbs. Plus it allows you quicker access to the chain case adjustment.

Z
Jan 12, 2005
Hahns Peak, CO
Chain case adjustment??? I see the threaded piece sticking out of the chain case, but was told by my dealer that it's self adjusting... and don't remember seeing anything in the manual about it either?

W
Nov 26, 2007
Powville, WA and BC
Self adjusting? You might want to ask your dealer to explain how that works. I have changed my gearing and see no way that the system is self adjusting. Am I missing something, it seems to work like old school chaincase adjustment, loosen jam nut and tighten or loosen the adjuster for proper tension.

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
All of that work and you still have the stock can...get rid of the suitcase. It will save you 10 lbs. Plus it allows you quicker access to the chain case adjustment.

LMAO!! Exactly what I was thinking. You drilled holes in the footwell mount (shaving off 0.0005 ounces) but left all the heavy stock parts (muffler, headlight, seat, etc) on? Sounds like you got the muffler problem solved anyway.

Removing the schroud from the pipe saves another 3.5#.....High Temp powder coating the pipe costs $85.00.

ot

The powder coating does not last as long IMO. Spend another $20 and get the ceramic. Just my opinion

R
Nov 30, 2007
Tug Hill, NY
Actually get your pipe ceramic coated by Jet-Hot. They are at ww.jet-hot.com I think. They do just about all of the US Military ceramic coating.

Very good quality ceramic coating and they charge around $100 to do pipe...

O
Nov 27, 2007
Western Wyoming
[QUOTE The powder coating does not last as long IMO. Spend another $20 and get the ceramic. Just my opinion[/QUOTE]

Ace Powder Coat Idaho Falls, Id which does all SLP Pipes, HPS Can's and PPP Cans uses a high temp powder coat which which last and last and last. I've got pipes done by Ace that are 5 years old and still looks new.

OT

J
Nov 26, 2007
Denver
The chaincase looks to be an old school adjustment system.

The pipe will need to wait until summer to go in for coating.

The seat is really lite and I like the gripper cover. Boss will have there work cut out for them to design a lighter version.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
Boss will have there work cut out for them to design a lighter version.

....for me to pay 5 bills for a boss seat, it needs to be 5 lbs lighter than stock. Sooooooo maybe they are working on a helium filled seat that actually TAKES weight off!!!!!

.....I am going to be like Trinty Taz now, so this is MY PATENT PENDING IDEA. DO NOT COPY, OR I WILL SUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE YOU!!!!!!!!

Ace

G
Nov 27, 2007
Mount Vernon WA
Hate to be a grump here...but why pull out a few ounces of foam and plastic when engineers have given it thought and manufacturer has willingly added its cost to the sled because of some value to its longevity? I am betting motor heat needs a wall to keep it away from the belt/clutches. Why the extra shroud for the secondary? To irritate us? I think not. Snow deflection? Heat deflection? Not sure. Butcher carefully fellow sledheads. There are reasons for those things. Goose

K

khaddon2110

Aug 17, 2006
Idaho
Hate to be a grump here...but why pull out a few ounces of foam and plastic when engineers have given it thought and manufacturer has willingly added its cost to the sled because of some value to its longevity? I am betting motor heat needs a wall to keep it away from the belt/clutches. Why the extra shroud for the secondary? To irritate us? I think not. Snow deflection? Heat deflection? Not sure. Butcher carefully fellow sledheads. There are reasons for those things. Goose

If you look at the foam, it is there only for noise mitigation. So, get rid of it. It only sucks up water and becomes heavy.

The shroud on the clutches is only there so skidoo does not get sued when some idiot leans over the thing with the engine running and it sucks his scarf in and strangles him.

You are right in saying they put thought into why to put those items in the sled, but the thought was about avoiding liability and noise, rather than strength and durablility.

At least for the items removed in the picture....

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
If they would have thought about it as carefully as you think they did, they wouldn't need a divider to keep the motor heat off the clutches would they?

Parts like that always seem like more of an afterthought to me........

just my 0.02

J
Nov 26, 2007
Denver
Most of the parts are simply for noise reduction. You will be better off pulling the junk out and cutting in vents into the shock tower. I drilled in a 2-3/8" slp vent that i had in my tool box. I plan to cut out more and install some nice vent kits when they get it worked out.

Also if you work on your own sled you will be glad you pulled the plastic out. Changing plugs would be very tough and checking for leaks imposible. If its not needed to ride chuck it!

Premium Features