• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Electrical Issue With HandWarmers on 08s

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
There has been an issue with the gauges shorting out and headlights flickering on the sled when the hand warmers are turned on. If you turn the hand warmers off then you get your gauges back and the headlight works fine.
Has one one else had this problem? I had the problem before all my mods, but we found it again on another 08 Saturday. With two sleds from two different dealers having the same problem, i suspect its going to pop up for a lot more of you out there.

Dealer said it was a pinched wire somewhere in the hand warmer controls.

Just wanted to make you all aware so if it happens you know how to get your headlight and gauges back on (by turning off your hand warmers).

Nov 29, 2007
SW, MT
Rode with three new rev xp's this weekend and two of the three's hand warmers quite working too! Apparantely it's not just poo. Mine worked great and i was the only poo in the group so i gave them ****.

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
Interesting. Should be easy to find if it's a pinched wire or something since everthing is rather exposed on the RMK's.

I wonder what they changed from 08 with this as no one ever mentioned it on a 07.

L
Nov 28, 2007
Golden
lo and behold...just happened to my left warmer on a 05 900 rmk. exact same symptoms. pulled back the rubber grip and there was a small hole burnt in the rubber from the high-temp (blue wire i believe) connection going bad.

anyone else ever here about this on the 05's?

Y
Feb 3, 2008
Bemidji, MN
I had the same problem on my D7. The short is most likely in the handwarmer contacts. If handgaurds are added or the grip is not secure and has twisted at all, the contacts may get distubed and short out because the glue that secures them gets soft with heat. This particular problem is easily prevented by taking steps to secure the grips along the inner edge.

800xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I have a 07 600 RMK. This past weekend I had many electrical problems:

- brake light was on, but my brake was NOT engaged
- high beam headlight light was on, but when I pushed the blue button it would not go away and my headling didn't change to low beam.
- would not go into reverse
- the green rocker button for my MFD display would not let me change modes, it also flashed "ride" next to the voltage meter...what the heck does that mean?

When I got back home I took apart that cluster and it was full of ice/snow/water...I can't help but think there is some kind of short going on?

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
Yea, lost one on my 08 700.
Dealer said they are having issues with the soildering (sp?) connection.
I think there is a dealer notice out about it.

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Get it fixed quickly or you can have other component failure-stator.

B

built4dtuff

Dec 17, 2002
Northern Utah
My dealer told me about this in DECEMBER and if you let it flicker yes you will loose your stator. Ask your dealer there is a notice out on it.

DEALER DEALER DEALER!!!!! 801 298 8081

L

LongTrack

Nov 26, 2007
Yes there is a service bulletin on this. The hand warmers are shorting out to the bars under the warmer. Had the repair done on my wifes 08 Switchback. They didn't show the 08 800's in the listing, but all other 08 models were shown. My wifes guage cluster was flashing and shut off completely before I had 40 miles on it. The mechanic showed the spot when he took the warmer off. Worked good after repair. Polaris repair had black tape uner the warmer where it rubbed to the bar.

D

dragon12

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
I have a 07 600 RMK. This past weekend I had many electrical problems:

- brake light was on, but my brake was NOT engaged

When I got back home I took apart that cluster and it was full of ice/snow/water...I can't help but think there is some kind of short going on?

I had this same problem on my 07 d7 and it was a crack in the wire insulation. My light would come on stay on for awhile. It seemed to shut off when the sled dried off after a couple of days in the trailer and would come back when I rode it. Drove the dealer nuts for awhile, and on the third trip they found the crack. While the dealer had it they said they could make the light turn off and on by moving the handlebars. Glad they found it, and it has worked perfect since.

J

jomama

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Denver
Electric 08 800

Getting "service Engine" on the display right after i start it. Then i goes away...
Is this one of those electrical probs? 800 155.... 250 Miles
Did anyone's sled come with a tool Kit?

Thanks

800xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Thanks for the info Dragon12...I will look into that.

Jomama - is it the service enging "light" coming on, or is it just the words flashing on your MFD display?

I had the flashing words thing happen to me and it kind a freaked me out until I found out that our sleds have built in time/mileage parameters that are set to come on and remind you to "service" the sled. I think the first parameter is set at 20 hours?? Look in your manual and you will see how you can reset it. It will then go away until you reach your next parameter...

J

jomama

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Denver
80 electrical

Thanks -
It is the display, and not a light. It dones say in the manual that it is a milage paramiter...

Thanks!

Anyone get a tool kit w/ their 08 800? I hear a couple of people got em...
Not I!

Premium Features