• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 Summit first ride report

griffin86

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2008
I got the opportunity to test ride a Summit 154 Gen4. A big thanks to Pines Powersports and Marine, Carl Kuster and everyone at CKMP.

This is a prototype machine so keep that in mind, we all took turns hopping on it and thrashing it. They had it since March 1st and it had 1000+ miles. The only things they have in common with the XM is grips, throttle, brake, gas cap and secondary.

I ride a 2016 T3 174. Intermediate rider, 6'2

Engine

The engine is very smooth thanks to the new exhaust valve. Unlike the XM where you hit 7/8 throttle, the valve opens up and starts wailing. The engine accelerates quickly, it doesn't have the half second of latency like the 800. The only downside is that 7/8 to full throttle there isn't anymore power. Not sure if that is TPS calibration, keep in mind this a prototype. The power is noticeable but not going to blow you away, this might be because it is a 154 and I'm used to a 174. And I'm fat.

Handling

Here's where the 850 shines; the balanced, centralized weight makes a big difference. No more favouring left turning. It is more predictable, when you throw it on it's side it's the same light feeling as it flips over. The the XM feels light, heavy then light as it flops over. This really makes a big difference when carving.

With the light weight and quick acceleration guys will have get used to feathering the brake. The front end wants to pop up which is really nice. Sidehilling has improved considerably. It holds the line much better, I found that you don't counter steer like an XM. Just a little steered out and it's perfect.

A couple minutes in and I was comfortable with it. The ergonomics were great, it's hard to explain but when you lift on one side it feels like there is a rod lifting right at the back of the spindle, it's a nice, confident feeling. The centre of gravity is feels lower.

Trails

Usually I don't care about trail handling but I figured some guys might. Skis dart a bit. The front end feels planted, whereas the XM will want to lift a ski up sometimes on the trail. It rips on the trail, takes you by surprise. The knee mouldings are awesome. Lock your knee in and it feels like the sled is on rails, it carved up the curves.

Well that's all for tonight, we still have 2 more days and they should have 165 for us to try tomorrow.

Last edited:
J
Oct 21, 2015
Minnesota
Appreciate the post. I am assuming it was 3" paddle? or did it have 2.5"? I would like to hear your thoughts on the 165 if you get to ride it today. maybe add to the original post if you have time.
Thanks!

griffin86

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2008
Unfortunately the 165 didn't show up, dealers pick up and drop off demo sleds at CKMP. I did ride the the 154 all afternoon hard. I may or may not have left some battle scars on it. :face-icon-small-ton

It's a 3 in paddle. I played follow the leader all afternoon with a 174 and 163. The 850 held it's own, considering I was triple the weight of the 163 rider and double that of the 174. I didn't stop even to catch my breath. One thing I like is the running boards don't have as tall as a lip as the XM. The XM feels like you are always going to roll your ankle. The 850 it's really easy to slide your foot onto the edge.

Sorry no video today. There wasn't any time.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Unfortunately the 165 didn't show up, dealers pick up and drop off demo sleds at CKMP. I did ride the the 154 all afternoon hard. I may or may not have left some battle scars on it. :face-icon-small-ton

It's a 3 in paddle. I played follow the leader all afternoon with a 174 and 163. The 850 held it's own, considering I was triple the weight of the 163 rider and double that of the 174. I didn't stop even to catch my breath. One thing I like is the running boards don't have as tall as a lip as the XM. The XM feels like you are always going to roll your ankle. The 850 it's really easy to slide your foot onto the edge.

Sorry no video today. There wasn't any time.

Did you feel like that 154 was a wheelie monster?

griffin86

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2008
Did you feel like that 154 was a wheelie monster?

Yes with me on it, it tends to wheelie, not bad considering how much I weigh. I am 350-375lbs ready to ride. It really depends on the foot position, if you have your feet back of the drivers it will be prone to wheeling. I have my feet slightly forward of the drivers just to calm things down. To sum it up, yes it can be, depends on foot position. The sled sits up higher in the front.

It's a blast, when you are climbing you can kick the track out and get wild with it. :face-icon-small-hap It's very controlled but I like to see how far I can wheelie and carve.

Sometimes it's nice when the front end pops up, when you get into a predicament in the trees it helps. There was once instance today where I was almost rolled into a 4 foot tree well. I blipped the throttle, it popped up and I crept out. The 174 behind me was sucked in because he couldn't right side it.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I snowchecked a 165 yesterday but I'm wondering if I want change it to a 154. If they wheelie about the same as the t3 154's I will probably change it. I'm only 190 ready to ride and I like the front end fairly light.

Last edited:

griffin86

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2008
I snowchecked a 165 yesterday but I'm wondering if I want change it to a 154. If they wheelie about the same as the t3 154's I will probably change it. I'm only 190 ready to ride and I like the front end fairly light.

You will be happy with either one. The 165 vs 163 weight drop isn't as much as the 154 vs 154 weight drop.

P

Peevo

Feb 2, 2010
Sweden

I'm 190 not ready to ride and this is my take on it. The snow was super concrete hard when I rode both 154 and 165. I felt the 154 had to much lugs and/or power for my type of riding. Had to work really hard to get it forward sidehilling in this concrete. The lugs are so soft that you get no traction in these conditions. Next I rode the 165 and it felt spot on. We had a T3 154 to compare with and the G4 165 felt shorter.

We really had problems to get both of them to wheelie due to the lack of good snow. No traction = soft lugs. Soft lugs = Good in pow.

Don't know how you ride. But I like to at least try to ride where it's not possible. The steeper the better. I liked the 154 and loved the 165.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I'm 190 not ready to ride and this is my take on it. The snow was super concrete hard when I rode both 154 and 165. I felt the 154 had to much lugs and/or power for my type of riding. Had to work really hard to get it forward sidehilling in this concrete. The lugs are so soft that you get no traction in these conditions. Next I rode the 165 and it felt spot on. We had a T3 154 to compare with and the G4 165 felt shorter.

We really had problems to get both of them to wheelie due to the lack of good snow. No traction = soft lugs. Soft lugs = Good in pow.

Don't know how you ride. But I like to at least try to ride where it's not possible. The steeper the better. I liked the 154 and loved the 165.

I love steep sidehilling. I guess I'll keep it a 165 and if I don't like it go to a 154 next year. Thanks guys. Always good to hear people's thoughts on these.

V
Nov 26, 2007
I got the opportunity to test ride a Summit 154 Gen4. A big thanks to Pines Powersports and Marine, Carl Kuster and everyone at CKMP.

This is a prototype machine so keep that in mind, we all took turns hopping on it and thrashing it. They had it since March 1st and it had 1000+ miles. The only things they have in common with the XM is grips, throttle, brake, gas cap and secondary.

I ride a 2016 T3 174. Intermediate rider, 6'2

Engine

The engine is very smooth thanks to the new exhaust valve. Unlike the XM where you hit 7/8 throttle, the valve opens up and starts wailing. The engine accelerates quickly, it doesn't have the half second of latency like the 800. The only downside is that 7/8 to full throttle there isn't anymore power. Not sure if that is TPS calibration, keep in mind this a prototype. The power is noticeable but not going to blow you away, this might be because it is a 154 and I'm used to a 174. And I'm fat.

Handling

Here's where the 850 shines; the balanced, centralized weight makes a big difference. No more favouring left turning. It is more predictable, when you throw it on it's side it's the same light feeling as it flips over. The the XM feels light, heavy then light as it flops over. This really makes a big difference when carving.

With the light weight and quick acceleration guys will have get used to feathering the brake. The front end wants to pop up which is really nice. Sidehilling has improved considerably. It holds the line much better, I found that you don't counter steer like an XM. Just a little steered out and it's perfect.

A couple minutes in and I was comfortable with it. The ergonomics were great, it's hard to explain but when you lift on one side it feels like there is a rod lifting right at the back of the spindle, it's a nice, confident feeling. The centre of gravity is feels lower.

Trails

Usually I don't care about trail handling but I figured some guys might. Skis dart a bit. The front end feels planted, whereas the XM will want to lift a ski up sometimes on the trail. It rips on the trail, takes you by surprise. The knee mouldings are awesome. Lock your knee in and it feels like the sled is on rails, it carved up the curves.

Well that's all for tonight, we still have 2 more days and they should have 165 for us to try tomorrow.

Was at CKMP last week and had the 154 day 1 and the 165 day 2. I didn't ride either as the guys I was with are mountain guys thinking of ordering so they wanted seat time. I'm from WI and do this maybe 1 time per year. All have 15 or 16 800's today either 163 or 174's. I think 3 of the 4 will be ordering. Better power, lighter front end, better sidehill capability. They commented on the tendency to wheelie which could be set up. The only guy not ordering has a 15 800 turbo and he felt he'd wait out the 850 a year or so.

850.jpg

I

IDAHO HOT SHOT

Jan 21, 2009
South of Bellevue...way south

I spent some time on the 165. It wheelies pretty good too. I was packing the skis up through the trees several times.

Premium Features