• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DYNO NUMBERS for the new Yamaha Genesis 998 Turbo Engine

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
logo.png

http://www.amsnow.com/news/dyno-tests/2016/03/sidewinder-dyno-test

AmSnow Exclusive: 2017 Yamaha Genesis 998 Turbo Dyno Test

Pre-production Sidewinder makes 204.1 HP!
By AmSnow staff | March 10, 2016

2017 Yamaha Sidewinder B-TX

A friendly wager
AmSnow Editor Mark Boncher and Yamaha’s Snowmobile Product Manager Rob Powers made a friendly bet on what our independent dyno testing facility (DynoTech Research out of Batavia, N.Y.) would find once we finally had a chance to test one of these machines. Boncher guessed 192hp and Powers guessed 193.

The verdict? Both were off by double digits! The top number was 204.1hp at 8850 rpm!

Read the Full Writeup at
http://www.amsnow.com/news/dyno-tests/2016/03/sidewinder-dyno-test

Last edited:

JackSprat

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2010
Northern Calirado
Nice job Yami!

204hp, Wow!
Out of the box, that's impressive!
Honestly I was disappointed with the first numbers suggesting 180.
I was figuring if Yamaha opened the "drawing board" and 180 was all they came up with, kinda disappointing.
But 204! Yea, that's more like it!
:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
I will be in the market for a used one in about 12 months so you guys take care of my machine while you ride it the first season.

Christoper let me take a ride on an MPI turbo Viper last year and I really enjoyed the power but didn't get a chance to ride in any thing other than wide open spaces.

I look forward to getting a Sidewinder demo next year and check out the handling.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Very impressive. Now to make that pig turn!!! ;)

you can make the pig turn with the 16 front end options. but now can you make the pig hide the fact it is a PIG? you can put a turbo on an anvil with handlebars but ...well let say you can spray perfume on a turd. if yammie puts a 2st out well then game over. just my .02c

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
you can make the pig turn with the 16 front end options. but now can you make the pig hide the fact it is a PIG? you can put a turbo on an anvil with handlebars but ...well let say you can spray perfume on a turd. if yammie puts a 2st out well then game over. just my .02c

dont get me wrong I'm not bashing yammie they had electronic power valve back in 97 and poo didn't even know how to spell power valve until 16.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
And it's altitude compensating so the boost is only relevant if you know the elevation. I have yet to see sea level boost numbers. I know that turbo on the 1100 was 7 lbs at sea level to be 177.
Shouldn't be too long before we can get all the numbers from DynoTech

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
The observed boost numbers on this dyno run were between 8.1 and 10.25 lbs of boost depending on the rpm. This was at Dynotech's elevation with 70 degree air temps (that's a hot day to be riding a sled).

ntm_08

Lifetime Membership
May 21, 2009
Don`t get exited, this trick has been around for many years. Boosted test sleds are often at a higher hp numbers than the production models.

Premium Features