• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 Yamaha Sidewinder B TX and SR Viper B TX

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Published on Mar 3, 2016
Model year 2017 welcomes the new SideWinder and Viper B-TX to Yamaha showrooms. Designed to be the 4-stroke answer to tight tree lines, boondocking and trail maneuverability with an 800cc class engine, the B-TX models are do-it-all sleds. They’re designed for the rider who maybe has to ride a few more trail miles to get to their favorite honey hole of powder.

The SideWinder B-TX LE will offer a ton of suspension adjustment with FOX Float 3 Evol shocks up front and in the center track, and a Float 3 Evol R for the rear track. The LE is a little more deep snow-oriented with a 153x2.25-inch Powerclaw track, while the more trail-friendly SE version of the B-TX comes with a 1.75 lug and FOX Float 3s all around. Both the LE and SE version of the SideWinder B-TX come with the new mountain ski, but a 40-inch ski stance for better trail manners compared to the 36-inch stance of the M-TX.

The Viper B-TX only comes in the LE version with the same features. This is the 120 hp engine class version of the same sled. Both Viper and SideWinder LE come with a heated mountain seat, and the Viper comes with the same ski stance and mountain ski as well.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hrdPuwkpWS4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
Tight tree lines with the 40 inch stance wont be fun.. I find this sled strange and hard to understand.. just me I guess. But its the only way to get a turbo 153.

Agreed. Maybe a 38" stance if they're going for a longer tracked "cross over" type sled, but 40" is way to wide for the market they're going after. Also find it odd that last year they offered 6 versions of the Viper MTX, yet this year there is only 3 versions of the Viper and Sidewinder combined in an MTX.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

grizzly7

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Agreed. Maybe a 38" stance if they're going for a longer tracked "cross over" type sled, but 40" is way to wide for the market they're going after. Also find it odd that last year they offered 6 versions of the Viper MTX, yet this year there is only 3 versions of the Viper and Sidewinder combined in an MTX.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The Ski stance can be adjusted from 38-42", I think this will be a great crossover and has me thinking of getting rid of my Summit X and Viper to get down to just one sled.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
could you move the stance back in to 36 inches on the b-tx?

And why would you want a heated seat on a mountain sled, all it is gonna do is melt the snow and keep you wet and miserable. I'd rather my @ss stay cold and not melt all the snow.

I think ideally I'd take a M-tx and swap a track!

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Good to see yammi releasing a new one along with the other MFGs :) I keep hoping they will produce an lightweight 800 2 stroke that will be some competition for the other 3.

In the video i noticed a couple of things . . . at 2:54 - 3:11 it looks like the rider is struggling to maintain the sidehill with the rear end washing out often. Is this just a weight issue that causes this?

Also at 3:57, notice the track at the rear flopping. Was it adjusted too loose or just the way it is on these?

Gotta say . . .That beast would be fun to ride with the turbo, that's for sure!!

homeboy

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2003
Chehalis
I have been watching what the mid west guys are doing and remembering the mountain sleds that I rode back in the day when a 600 XLT came with a 133, and that was a long track!

I have two Vipers a 14 MCX 270 162 and a 15 MPI 240 162 and also a pro 163

everybody on here will think I am nuts, but I am actually going to reduce track length on my viper MPI
I maybe going too short by not doing a 153, but was looking at putting a Powerclaw 141 X 2 1/4 in track and I have a KMOD with raptors on it plus the 16 front with exits. will turn boost down to 200hp
This sled should be a blast in the trees outside my cabin where the 162s are overkill.

I think it interesting that Yamaha is marketing sleds aimed at doing this
However in my opinion the posts above are right they are missing the mark should be putting the 36 inch front on, would be great in the trees, best improvement cat has made to proclimb chassis

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I have been watching what the mid west guys are doing and remembering the mountain sleds that I rode back in the day when a 600 XLT came with a 133, and that was a long track!

I have two Vipers a 14 MCX 270 162 and a 15 MPI 240 162 and also a pro 163

everybody on here will think I am nuts, but I am actually going to reduce track length on my viper MPI
I maybe going too short by not doing a 153, but was looking at putting a Powerclaw 141 X 2 1/4 in track and I have a KMOD with raptors on it plus the 16 front with exits. will turn boost down to 200hp
This sled should be a blast in the trees outside my cabin where the 162s are overkill.

I think it interesting that Yamaha is marketing sleds aimed at doing this
However in my opinion the posts above are right they are missing the mark should be putting the 36 inch front on, would be great in the trees, best improvement cat has made to proclimb chassis

I agree, our 153 is more fun than the 162.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
Good to see yammi releasing a new one along with the other MFGs :) I keep hoping they will produce an lightweight 800 2 stroke that will be some competition for the other 3.

In the video i noticed a couple of things . . . at 2:54 - 3:11 it looks like the rider is struggling to maintain the sidehill with the rear end washing out often. Is this just a weight issue that causes this?

Also at 3:57, notice the track at the rear flopping. Was it adjusted too loose or just the way it is on these?

Gotta say . . .That beast would be fun to ride with the turbo, that's for sure!!

Yes on the weight. It requires more track spin to maintain lift and therefore the track washes more.
Second question, it is just a loose track.

Premium Features